Hacking Luma3DS - Noob-proof 3DS Custom Firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Am I right, that, with Aureinand/A9LH I don't need a GateWay, because everything works fine/even more sophisticated with AureiNAND/A9LH, than it does on Gateway?
That's where you're not technically correct, but close enough. Seeing as how I just ended a pi$$ing contest a few minutes ago, you should gather that there are things GW still does better (like out of region DLC). You might not care about those things that it does better (like Game cheats), so it is more than likely not worth the price for most people anymore.

The Gateway uses a kernel exploit that was fixed in the kernel starting with firmware 9.3, so if you want to use one, you must be booting your system using that vulnerable kernel (which happens to be the same file from 9.0 up to 9.2). firmware90.bin is the native_firm with that kernel.

Edit: And above a certain kernel version (it might also be 9.3 and above), .3dsx files don't have the ability to install unsigned files, so using the 9.0 firm is also an alternative to injecting FBI over your Health&Safety applet.

Last edited by urherenow,
Reactions: VIERcntHOLZ

VIERcntHOLZ

yep, theres missing an "u".
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks to you both :-)

As it seems, the technical part about the n3DS hacking is actually far more interesting than the playing part ^^' :D (not joking)

So the firmware90.bin is basically a EmuNAND Dump (on FW 9.0), which get renamed to firmware90.bin from which i could start a SysNAND 9.0 Version?
Or where do i get a firmware90.bin? (because it says i need an EmuNAND for that)

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
Thanks to you both :-)

As it seems, the technical part about the n3DS hacking is actually far more interesting than the playing part ^^' :D (not joking)

So the firmware90.bin is basically a EmuNAND Dump (on FW 9.0), which get renamed to firmware90.bin from which i could start a SysNAND 9.0 Version?
Or where do i get a firmware90.bin? (because it says i need an EmuNAND for that)
firmware90.bin is a dump of the 9.0 (I think) NATIVE_FIRM, so it can load older firmwares. You need an EmuNAND because you can't load 10.7 home menu using 9.0 NATIVE_FIRM.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@astronautlevel is correct. You don't need an emunand technically, if your sysnand is between sysnand is between 9.0~9.2. Then you'd want to have an emunand on 10.7 though...

The required firmware files are linked on the git. Scroll down and read-> https://github.com/auroraWright/auReiNand

VIERcntHOLZ

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
you guys are the best!

I have three (maybe noobish) last questions:
1. Why is it called UPDATED SysNAND?
2. How is it possible to update the 3ds trough, lets say, systemsettings to the newest version and keep the Kernel Hack alive?
3. Why exactly is it preferable to just have the SysNAND and leave away EmuNANDS completly? (Because we simply can dump a Backup of, lets say 9.2, or whatever) on SysNAND even if its bricked?)

PetitMagique

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aurora would it be possible to include a couple lines of code to ouput an empty file, the name of which is the version number of the release, in the 'aurei' folder so people can easily track their version?

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
you guys are the best!

2. How is it possible to update the 3ds trough, lets say, systemsettings to the newest version and keep the Kernel Hack alive?
3. Why exactly is it preferable to just have the SysNAND and leave away EmuNANDS completly? (Because we simply can dump a Backup of, lets say 9.2, or whatever) on SysNAND even if its bricked?)
1. Updated SysNAND is when you update your SysNAND to the latest version
2. a9lh loads the kernel hack before the NAND even boots, so NAND version is irrelevant.
3. EmuNAND is unnecessary now that we have kernel access before boot, and can load things like decrypt9 before the boot so even if you brick your NAND you can restore a backup.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you guys are the best!

Because it's updated? It's for people who update their sysnand to 10.7 (the setting lets the CFW know that it should use the latest supported native_firm, even though you're using sysnand).

AuReiNand put protection in her mod to prevent overwriting the hack.

Opinions vary, so you have to decide that for yourself. Some people want things as simple as possible. As long as your .cia manager is installed before you upgrade, you can do anything and everything without an emunand to worry about (and save SD card space). Except for using a Gateway card, that is.

VIERcntHOLZ

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
AuReiNand put protection in her mod to prevent overwriting the hack.

Ah, okay, so protection means, for example, even if you'd restore a clean 9.2 vanilla Backup (which does not include the A9LH!), the firms would be protected and the A9LH is still alive?

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
okay, I'm done, thank you very much :-)
When you first get a9lh and a CFW up and running the way you want it, make a sysnand backup (or... another one, since you made a backup before you started... right?) as well as backing up your entire memory card. Then you don't have to worry about such things.

VIERcntHOLZ

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
When you first get a9lh and a CFW up and running the way you want it, make a sysnand backup (or... another one, since you made a backup before you started... right?) as well as backing up your entire memory card. Then you don't have to worry about such things.

Yeah, done that several times (on 9.2 with A9lh, on 10.7 with A9lh), one on my Local Harddrive, one as spare on my SD Card renamed properly to get things straight. :-)

Would be great if there was a Homebrew which lets you access your SD Card Wireless wia WiFi without have to eject it everytime from the DS to the PC :D

rockbmi

Trophies
XP
Yeah, done that several times (on 9.2 with A9lh, on 10.7 with A9lh), one on my Local Harddrive, one as spare on my SD Card renamed properly to get things straight. :-)

Would be great if there was a Homebrew which lets you access your SD Card Wireless wia WiFi without have to eject it everytime from the DS to the PC :D
There is, lots of FTP apps for the 3DS

Aurora Wright

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
well oops, baka moi , i think i misunderstood it all.
i thought i had to press L+ bin only, didnt know that i had to press L+A+ the bin button , mmm needing 3 fingers then..! (sorry 4 fingers are needed for launching a different bin than the default, so one for power button and the 3 others for the titled bin of your choice x'D)
XD
thanks my dude , keep it up.
I thought about it and it's better to just use A as the equivalent of "nothing" and L and R as their respective functions (I'm having a war with useless button presses! XD)
I committed it to the repo, thisi s a pre-compiled build: http://www16.zippyshare.com/v/o96aFL6X/file.html
(I'm not a dude btw :P)

Hello i've booted in aureinand with a rednand and get a blackscreen...
You probably still have a Gateway emuNAND NCSD header inside the FAT filesystem. Do a full erase (with overwrite) of the SD card.

Aurora Wright

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
By the way thanks to @MassExplosion213 I now have an idea about the rare and random black screens that get reported around. As I said a couple posts ago, when you format a SD card which had an emuNAND and install a different kind of emuNAND (say Gateway -> RedNAND or vice-versa) or remove it completely, AuReiNand will probably still detect that old emuNAND. This is because when you format you only rewrite sector 0 (the MBR) and then a FAT table. This means that the NCSD header will probably still persist in sector 1 (RedNAND) and in the middle of the card, inside the FAT filesystem or after a truncated RedNAND (Gateway). I can't really do anything to fix this.
Just FULLY format the card (overwrite the whole thing).

Last edited by Aurora Wright,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    I tried to get a slim on a black friday once, but they ran out of stock for the $100 one
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    many ages ago
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can find them $50-75 nowdays if catch a deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still remember grabbing this ps4 slim on black Friday for $200 when the msrp was still around 300
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went to auction at a mom/pops video game store few months ago that was closing, and bought 11 slims for $200, 1 was DOA but 10 work fine. so hella deal. Already rgh3'ed 8 of them. But most younger kids don't even want anymore, unless it plays stupid "fortnight", or newer shit.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Think I'm gonna use my giftcard balance on a nice pair of headphones but $100 is still limited
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soundcore q30s are nice but they leak so much sound it sounds like speakers
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Ken spend the 100 on a gun and skii mask, wait for a jogger at the park jewelry money and headphones!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If only Amazon sold guns
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking dick heads think it's a bad idea to get a gun 2 days later
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wait, I thought you were the dickhe...nvm
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got balls on my chin and two dicks on my forehead sir
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sorry, no offense there double dickhead chinballs.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Chicks still love it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Mommy, look, what is that?". "That's your soon to be daddy."
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That you'll only see once
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Double dickhead chinballs is still better than double dickhead eyeballs.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    As in, the balls will grow in your eye sockets.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I paid 5 grand to get them moved to my chin
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    This you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My hair can't be that cool
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: JOE! :P