Status
Not open for further replies.

reiyu

Canadian, eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Honestly, rxTools-like region-free patch is useless. If we can not change running language, there is no point in such patch.
no it's not. just not having to reopen .cia packages over and over again is convenience. since i just rip my own carts and convert them to .cia without modifying anything, it's convenient for me.

Reactions: astronautlevel

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's functionally the same as region-free cias. If you can not hook language, other games that abuse system language would still fail.

That's true, but until we have ARM11 code that can either
  1. Load NTR on boot -or-
  2. Provide NTR-like functionality like you're wanting
then this is the next best thing. If you're not planning on games which abuse such features on a particular boot, it's nice not to have to boot NTR, FMP, or RFP just for playing other out of region games.

andriy921

Trophies
XP
Country
I'd rather use untouched CIAs than CIAs hacked to be region free. But that's just personal preference.
What do you mean by untouched? You don't use legit cias. Making cia region free = just patch icon (since only home menu while displaying apps filters them getting region from that weird icon format).

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
What do you mean by untouched? You don't use legit cias. Making cia region free = just patch icon (since only home menu while displaying apps filters them getting region from that weird icon format).
I mean dumped from the cart, converted, then uploaded. I don't want people applying any kind of hack to the CIA file.

andriy921

Trophies
XP
Country
That's true, but until we have ARM11 code that can either
  1. Load NTR on boot -or-
  2. Provide NTR-like functionality like you're wanting
then this is the next best thing. If you're not planning on games which abuse such features on a particular boot, it's nice not to have to boot NTR, FMP, or RFP just for playing other out of region games.
NTR language solution is perfect. But it's really hard to implement. I was just saying that we don't need just simple region-free patch since it does not make much sense. We'd rather want some complex arm11 code that can run game thinking that it's other region console with specific language, meaning better compatibility and working dlcs. But that is hard.

Reactions: daxtsu

andriy921

Trophies
XP
Country
Except all CIAs are converted from 3ds to CIA anyway. This is just an added level of modification that's entirely unnecessary.
So you would rather force devs to implement and regularly update feature (since new fw versions break it) making porting to newer versions harder/longer, then apply very simple and tiny patch to cia that does not affect anything except app image?

Reactions: pbanj

reiyu

Canadian, eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So you would rather force devs to implement and regularly update feature (since new fw versions break it) making porting to newer versions harder/longer, then apply very simple and tiny patch to cia that does not affect anything except app image?
force? where did you even get that. we're WAITING, not FORCING anyone.

andriy921

Trophies
XP
Country
force? where did you even get that. we're WAITING, not FORCING anyone.
I don't see real difference between forcing and regularly asking/insisting. I see posts about region-free every 3 page.
But that was not my point. My point was that it is useless, if it's only patch for making home-menu region free.

Reactions: pbanj

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I made a modification of FIX94's arm9select that turns the backlight on for default.bin if it's a cold boot (and if default_bl exists), but doesn't if it's an MCU reboot (meaning that you used something like Quick Reboot to reboot the 3DS, or exited a GBA game/DS game). That way you can still have the splash on the initial powerup, but the screen stays black and off like a stock boot after that, as long as you're using FIX94's arm9loaderhax fork as well. If anyone's interested in it, I can post it here.

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That way you can still have the splash on the initial powerup, but the screen stays black and off like a stock boot after that, as long as you're using FIX94's arm9loaderhax fork as well. If anyone's interested in it, I can post it here.
What did you add for that? sounds pretty cool to have.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
What did you add for that? sounds pretty cool to have.

Code:
// These are defined at the top of main.c
#define CFG_BOOTENV 0x10010000
#define COLDBOOT 0

// Further on down...

else if (tryLoadFile("/arm9select/default.bin"))
        {
            if(*(u8*)CFG_BOOTENV == COLDBOOT)
                jumpAndTryEnableBL("/arm9select/default_bl");
            else ((void(*)())PAYLOAD_ADDRESS)();
        }

On cold boot, that register is zero, but NATIVE_FIRM sets it to 1 after it's booted, so it can know if it's a cold boot or not (or other values if it booted TWL/AGB). We can also use it for the purposes of knowing when to turn the screen on or not as needed.

https://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/CONFIG_Registers#CFG_BOOTENV

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
On cold boot, that register is zero, but NATIVE_FIRM sets it to 1 after it's booted, so it can know if it's a cold boot or not (or other values if it booted TWL/AGB). We can also use it for the purposes of knowing when to turn the screen on or not as needed.
thats awesome! if you dont mind I would release a arm9select v1.1 for that :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Ughh gonna be bored today, class for new job has a lot of networking material and I'm certified in that already...
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Peen apple.
    +1
    "pine unf apple" doesn't count! Lol
    Employee code of conduct videos are awesome!!! Did you know eating the other employees is bad? I didn't know... Lol
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Anymore males there? :blush:
    All of us lol
    I got free every channel so that's awesome lol
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Give me ALL the gay pron channels, since you won't be watching them :blush::D
    +1
    Lol they exist?
    +1
    Hmmm so Mario Does Luigi's plumbing is a bad movie? Lol
    These videos are soooo dry
    Please click all suspicious links sent your email
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What to do today? Cut grass for 3-4 hours, or just get drunk and play video games... Hmm
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I need a remote controlled mower, so I can sit on the couch and do both.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sounds good to me, video games and booze it is then.
    +1
  • denpafan @ denpafan:
    Good choice
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Now what to play, Starfield or Fallout4. And what to drink, beer or Whiskey and Coke. Such tough decisions.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Looks like its whiskey & coke, only 4 beers left. And think ill start with Falllout. :grog:
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    THIS IMAGE IS SO SCARY WTF. THAT SURE AS HELL IS NOT A CAT THATS LIKE A FUCKING DEMON

Untitled2.png
    Bonus points for running things over with the lawn mower?
    +1
    Monster truck Lawn Mower extreme
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Monster truck Lawn Mower extreme