Hacking Luma3ds and the Black Screen of Death

aragorn23

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you try this build of Decrypt9WIP as arm9loaderhax.bin: https://github.com/d0k3/Decrypt9WIP/releases/download/20160309/Decrypt9WIP-20160309-160637.zip

It's the first release with full A9LH support from last year.
Light comes on, stays on.

I visually inspected all ribbon cables internally and checked to ensure they were properly seated. Does this sound to anyone like a hardware problem with the screens? Maybe it's booting up, but I can't see anything because the screens or cables have gone bad?

Reactions: Quantumcat

Xiphiidae

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

I visually inspected all ribbon cables internally and checked to ensure they were properly seated. Does this sound to anyone like a hardware problem with the screens? Maybe it's booting up, but I can't see anything because the screens or cables have gone bad?
That wouldn't explain why it shuts off when Luma is the A9LH payload on the SD.

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'm thinking for this specific one, the old build of Decrypt9WIP doesn't have screen init, and the build of A9LH that's installed doesn't have it.

Try setting up BootCtr9 with screen init enabled in the configuration:
https://github.com/hartmannaf/BootCtr9/releases

Last edited by GerbilSoft, , Reason: +old build

aragorn23

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm thinking for this specific one, the old build of Decrypt9WIP doesn't have screen init, and the build of A9LH that's installed doesn't have it.

Try setting up BootCtr9 with screen init enabled in the configuration:
https://github.com/hartmannaf/BootCtr9/releases

Just copy over the .bin and rename it to arm9loaderhax.bin? Tried this and the blue light comes on, shuts off, lower screen flashes.

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just copy over the .bin and rename it to arm9loaderhax.bin? Tried this and the blue light comes on, shuts off, lower screen flashes.
Copy over arm9loaderhax.bin and the boot config file. Edit the config file to ensure screen init is enabled and that the default entry is something like Decrypt9WIP.bin. You'll also want to copy Decrypt9WIP.bin to the card.

aragorn23

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay. Opened the .ini file, and trying to figure out which line needs changed to ensure screen init is enabled. Also, does the decrypt9WIP go in the payloads folder?

2017-03-30.png

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Copy this into boot_config.ini:
Code:
[BOOTCTR9]
key_delay = 1000
boot_splash = 0
enableAutosoftboot = 1
enableArm9CompanionBoot = 0

[DEFAULT]
path = /Decrypt9WIP.bin
delay = 1000
splash = 0
screenEnabled = 1
screenBrightness = 0x30
Then copy Decrypt9WIP.bin to the root of the SD card, and BootCtr9's arm9loaderhax.bin as well. Then try turning it on.

Jalil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Macau
hi there

1- the size of the backup of the NAND is WRONG (the one in the files9 folder) so there is no restoring situation hier.
2- to verifiy if luma is instaled on the CTR partiotion hold SELECT button on Boot (it will lanche the config page, if so go to step 3)
3- download 'Hourglass9' and take the .bin file from the zip you just downloaded and reneme it to ''start_Hourglass9.bin'' and put it into the payloads folder in the luma folder (dont get too confiused..it's like this : ROOT/luma/payloads/start_Hourglass9.bin)
4- boot your 3DS holding START button (normally it will show Hourglass9)

from this point try to apply a CTRTrancfer using the 9.2.0 version (i guesse)..... if nothing work there is a big chance that your 3DS is affected with UNRECOVERABLE BRICK and for the NEW3DS XL all i can think of is the sleep mode in 2.1.0 during the downgrade process (i hope im wrong)

try also to boot without the sd card (if your 3ds is on 2.1.0 it will NOT boot with any sd card)

so all the best;

Last edited by Jalil,

aragorn23

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Copy this into boot_config.ini:
Code:
[BOOTCTR9]
key_delay = 1000
boot_splash = 0
enableAutosoftboot = 1
enableArm9CompanionBoot = 0

[DEFAULT]
path = /Decrypt9WIP.bin
delay = 1000
splash = 0
screenEnabled = 1
screenBrightness = 0x30
Then copy Decrypt9WIP.bin to the root of the SD card, and BootCtr9's arm9loaderhax.bin as well. Then try turning it on.

Did all that. Still blue light on and off, lower screen flashes. Copied all of this code as you said to the boot_config.ini. Screenshot of what is on the sd card for reference.
2017-03-30 (1).png

Also attached a screenshot of the lumaupdater.txt log that was on the SD card when I got the N3ds. Also included is a screenshot of all the commands in the boot_config.ini file.

Attachments

• 2017-03-30 (2).png
    2017-03-30 (2).png
    32.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 2017-03-30 (3).png
    2017-03-30 (3).png
    40.7 KB · Views: 103
Last edited by aragorn23,

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have a folder named a9lh with payload stage files located in it? Payload stage 1 and so on. If not, get every required file from the 3ds.guide. You'll need a torrent client to download some of the files though.

Reactions: PrincessLillie

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Do you have a folder named a9lh with payload stage files located in it? Payload stage 1 and so on. If not, get every required file from the 3ds.guide. You'll need a torrent client to download some of the files though.
How will that help if he can't get into SafeArm9Installer?

Last edited by Quantumcat,

aragorn23

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Did all that in the 3ds.guide. Light on and fades out immediately. That's it.

Included is a screenshot of both the files9 folder and the a9lh folder.

Attachments

• 2017-03-30 (4).png
    2017-03-30 (4).png
    13.6 KB · Views: 89
  • 2017-03-30 (5).png
    2017-03-30 (5).png
    20.8 KB · Views: 102
Last edited by aragorn23,

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know. That's why I said he needs a9lh to load them.
The /a9lh/ directory is only used during A9LH installation. Once installed, that directory isn't used.

You don't need /a9lh/ on a system that already has A9LH installed.

It's starting to sound like there's some sort of hardware problem, possibly a small tear in one of the LCD ribbon cables.

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
The /a9lh/ directory is only used during A9LH installation. Once installed, that directory isn't used.

You don't need /a9lh/ on a system that already has A9LH installed.

It's starting to sound like there's some sort of hardware problem, possibly a small tear in one of the LCD ribbon cables.
Well, I'm dumb. I've exhausted everything I can do to help.

yacepi15

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you have a DS cart on the console, take it off. Even in untouched 3DSes, there's a bug and sometimes with one inside,console doesnt boot.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-