[λ]
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
LulzSec defaced the homepage of the "Cybersecurity For The 21st Century, Hacking Challenge" sponsored by Black & Berg Cybersecurity Consulting, LLC. Black & Berg who do contract work for government agencies and private companies writes:
Change this website's homepage picture and win $10K and a position working with Senior Cybersecurity Advisor, Joe Black.

You can probably guess where this is going. LulzSec altered the page background slightly and photoshopped their monocled mascot into the picture displayed on the page. And amusingly they refused the cash prize stating:

DONE, THAT WAS EASY. KEEP YOUR MONEY WE DO IT FOR THE LULZ

Given that the group recently hacked a U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigations affiliate, it's not terribly surprising that they wouldn't want to compromise their location by accepting a prize from a public contest. As Admiral Ackbar would say, "It's a trap!" (Potentially, at least.) Perhaps they should have offered the prize in bitcoins.

Founder Joseph K. Black took to Twitter, posting praise for the group. He writes:

Black & Berg Cybersecurity Consulting appreciate all the hard work that you're putting in. Your Hacking = Clients for us. Thx ~Joe

We've said it once, and we'll say it again -- for better or worse, we doubt this is the last we'll see of LulzSec.

source: http://www.dailytech.com/HackProof+Webpage...rticle21853.htm

web page defacement: http://www.blackbergsecurity.us/

the article mentions a very good point as to why they didnt accept the prize money, their location would be blown that and maybe they just want to flaunt their skill
even more unsettling is black and berg cybersecurity is endorsing what lulzsec is doing because they get more clients

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This makes no sense at all, except for the lulz. One thing made sense though, them not taking the prize.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Lol. Okay, I have to admit, I'm starting to become seriously impressed with Lulzsec.

I love their blunt statement: "DONE, THAT WAS EASY. KEEP YOUR MONEY WE DO IT FOR THE LULZ"

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bladexdsl said:
it was a trap set by the fbi that's why they didn't accept the $!
I came here to say something to that effect. Dunno if it was intended as a trap, but they obviously can't accept the money. If they did, they'd be arrested instantly because of all they've done.
rolleyes.gif

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure there's an entrapment law against this, but it's often broken in extreme cases, which this is apparently.

Also, when did this competition begin?

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeMoN said:
I'm sure there's an entrapment law against this, but it's often broken in extreme cases, which this is apparently.

Also, when did this competition begin?
I'm pretty sure all the hacking they've done and breaching of accounts/personal information, as well as messing with the FBI (affiliate or not) is more than enough to make an exception to the law.

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kevin Mitnick tweeted earlier that maybe they should have had the money donated ... perhaps to the Bradley Manning defense. That'd been cool.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's not entrapment unless the crime in question would not have taken place but for the interference of law enforcement. This isn't entrapment because they were invited to hack the site and they did so in the manner specified. No crime was committed, and therefore no entrapment.

On the other hand, it is common for law enforcement to use perfectly legal contests and similar methods to locate people that they already have a case against. This is not entrapment because they are not encouraging or soliciting the commission of a crime.

Miss Panda

Trophies
XP
Country
They admitted earlier today that they had hacked the NHS (that is the National Health Service) servers a few weeks back they even linked to a letter they had sent them pointing out the security flaws and saying they wouldn't do anything with the passwords they had managed to get. And assuring them 'we mean you no harm'. The BBC has now published the story.

QUOTE said:
A notorious hacker group has warned the NHS that its computer networks are vulnerable to cyber attack.
Lulz Security, which claims to have been behind a recent hack on Sony, sent an email to NHS administrators revealing it had found a way to breach the service's network.

But the Department of Health was quick to deny that any patient information was at risk.
The hackers said they did not intend to steal any data.

Styling themselves as "pirate ninjas", LulzSec posted on Twitter the e-mail it sent to the NHS.
"While you aren't considered an enemy - your work is of course brilliant - we did stumble upon several of your admin passwords," the e-mail read.

It lists the stolen information - but blacks out the names in the tweet.
"We mean you no harm and only want to help you fix your tech issues," the mail continued.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13712377

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@chao1212 the did a federal offence hacking the fbi one thing came to my mind Lulz might have ties with extreme islam i thought bout it when they hacked the fbi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-