Hardware Low-Level Brick/Fried Wii

Finnboghi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a soft-modded 3.4U Wii, a friend's NAND, but not BootMii on my system.

But here's the weird part - the cause.

I have MPlayer on my Wii, and I have it set up to use my 7.1 surround system, so I wanted to watch some movies through it instead of using my laptop and only getting stereo sound.

So I moved the .avi and .mkv movies that I wanted onto my external Western Digital Passport (120GB, takes power from the USB port), and plugged it into my Wii.

It instantly froze.

I tried restarting it (it freezes a lot when I try new things, and restarting has always fixed it before.), but it began to behave like a low-level brick. I could turn it on from the controller or the power button, but it wouldn't display the warning screen, or allow the Wii remote to connect.

But now it gets weirder.

It was really late when I tried this, and I was in a bit of a panic, so I unplugged it and went to bed, hoping that it was just an issue with the RAM, and a total void would fix it.

Well, it did. The next day I plugged it back in, started it up, and everything worked fine. I played for several hours, assuming that whatever had caused the problem went away.

The next time I tried to start it, however, I got the same black screen.

So I unplugged it overnight again, and low-and-behold, it worked. Again.

The next time I started it, it failed again.

HBC works fine when it starts, so I assume I could install BootMii without an issue.

However, this strange behaviour somewhat suggests that there may be a damaged solder connection or something, and the power draw from the external drive caused it to finally give way.

On a side note, I always had the drive formatted as FAT32 because the computers at school preferred it, and it was my only means of transferring data. However, as you all know, FAT is wrought with horrible corruption and is easily damaged.

After I graduated and became incredibly frustrated with this, I backed up the data and reformatted the drive in HFS+ (Apple's standard format).

So what could have caused the failure?

What could I do to fix it?

Thanks for your help,
-Finn

EDIT

On a whim I removed the battery, in case it was holding some tiny tidbit of data that shouldn't be there.

No luck.

Finnboghi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The fan spins, the disk spins, it can eject and receive disks (all while in the black-screen mode).

The screen even brightens when the Wii is turned on, so something is coming out, just nothing useful.

EDIT

Something I just realized - it's behaving like a semi-PAL Wii.

I have a few backups that are PAL (forgot to change to NTSC), and if I run one without forcing NTSC, the video goes black and white and shakes vertically, but it continues to 'work'.

But if you hit the home button and return to the Wii menu, it goes black and disconnects all the Wii remotes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You mean like every famous person that ever existed
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I get so tired of hearing oh I liked him until...
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    I just know dude was a chronic alcoholic and such.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been to his chicken restaurant he started in his 2nd movie, Holy Chicken, was pretty good. It is only 15-20 miles from me in Ohio. It only lasted 1 yr or so then closed tho.
    There are very few people I just have just an immense dislike of and he's one of those very few people, the only other example is Gene Simmons. My musician uncle on my mother's side of the family actually met Gene once during some event and said he was the most unpleasant person to be around.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I met myself once turns out that guy is a giant piece of shit that doesn't deserve any of my respect
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn alcoholics! (Sshhh- Opens another beer)
    Agreed, Ken
    I can't say I've ever tried even a sip of beer tbh-
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You met yourself also and is a giant piece of shit?
    +1
    Then again, I don't think I'd really enjoy it //shrug
    I'm sure it's an acquired taste :P
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Poor lad can never enjoy the amazing taste of four loko
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Root beer is a gateway drink, don't ever try it either.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, don't you love how smooth MD20 is
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Mad dog 20 20? Oh yea fixed the typo. I haven't seen that or had forever. Do they still make it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I think it's why I'm alive
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What happens if when playing Paper Mario, you start a fire in-game?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Paper Mario is a drug dealer and he is all about the paper yo lol
    +2
    Ffft
    On another note, I love how folks are drawing Callie in that suit that Splatoon NA dropped on Twitter
  • RetroNerdGamer @ RetroNerdGamer:
    Beer isnt my thing but a root beer once in a while is good
    it gotta be MUG brand tho
    man i shoulda gotten one to open a cold one with TTYD Remake
    RetroNerdGamer @ RetroNerdGamer: man i shoulda gotten one to open a cold one with TTYD Remake