Hacking LOTS of questions

  • Thread starter Thread starter G2K
  • Start date Start date
  • Views Views 2,035
  • Replies Replies 14

G2K

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2009
Messages
258
Reaction score
0
Trophies
1
Location
Cambridge, Onatrio
XP
127
Country
Canada
I've been gone from the Wii scene for a while and I came back with a bunch of questions.

1) On Menu 4.0, Wad Manager 1.3 no longer works and gives me the error (ret - 1) or something like that, I can't really remember. How do I make it work again?

2) It seems like suddenly everybody knows how to code a USB loader... how? I've been wanting to make one.

3) Isn't it knid of alot to go out and buy a whole new hard drive for USB loaders? I'm guessing it isn't possible to just make to seperate partitions each formatted the way it needs to be? (One for games, the other for whatever it was originally used for?)

4) What is the best current USB loader with the most features, etc... Also, I saw one earlier that had a spinning disc image below to the boxart... I know there are alot like this but I rmeber he somehow had Guitar HeronII ofr the Wii, or atleast the boxart.

5) What does "installing" a game do?

I forgot a bunch of questions as I was typing, I probably come up with more later.
 
1) On Menu 4.0, Wad Manager 1.3 no longer works and gives me the error (ret - 1) or something like that, I can't really remember. How do I make it work again?

You probly dont have the latest cIOS36 rev10

Get it .



2) It seems like suddenly everybody knows how to code a USB loader... how? I've been wanting to make one.

No idea how to make one but theres a ton of them already out there just use one of those.


3) Isn't it knid of alot to go out and buy a whole new hard drive for USB loaders? I'm guessing it isn't possible to just make to seperate partitions each formatted the way it needs to be? (One for games, the other for whatever it was originally used for?)


Yes its possible

4) What is the best current USB loader with the most features, etc... Also, I saw one earlier that had a spinning disc image below to the boxart... I know there are alot like this but I rmeber he somehow had Guitar HeronII ofr the Wii, or atleast the boxart.


Ultimate Loader has the most features right now.Look for the topic on the 1st page of this forum its over 260 pages long.

5) What does "installing" a game do?

Rips the game from the disc thats in the wii and saves it to the usb device plugged in that way you can play it from the lader
 
I'll try to answer them as good as I can
G2K said:
I've been gone from the Wii scene for a while and I came back with a bunch of questions.

1) On Menu 4.0, Wad Manager 1.3 no longer works and gives me the error (ret - 1) or something like that, I can't really remember. How do I make it work again?
If you updated the nintendo way, you need to run IOS downgrader. Also you need a cIOS for it to work

2) It seems like suddenly everybody knows how to code a USB loader... how? I've been wanting to make one.
Don't really know, but I think there is a tutorial somewhere

3) Isn't it knid of alot to go out and buy a whole new hard drive for USB loaders? I'm guessing it isn't possible to just make to seperate partitions each formatted the way it needs to be? (One for games, the other for whatever it was originally used for?)
Every partition can be formatted to its own file system. Like: partition 1 = WBFS (backups) and partition2 = FAT

4) What is the best current USB loader with the most features, etc... Also, I saw one earlier that had a spinning disc image below to the boxart... I know there are alot like this but I rmeber he somehow had Guitar HeronII ofr the Wii, or atleast the boxart.
The newest ultimate loader based on v1.5 is the best. The cd cover thingy is still being made (i think)

5) What does "installing" a game do? It creates a channel in the wii menu, so you can directly boot a game on the HDD. The channel uses the same banner as the official game shows in the disc channel

I forgot a bunch of questions as I was typing, I probably come up with more later.
Someone can correct if its wrong
 
tj_cool said:
I'll try to answer them as good as I can
G2K said:
I've been gone from the Wii scene for a while and I came back with a bunch of questions.

1) On Menu 4.0, Wad Manager 1.3 no longer works and gives me the error (ret - 1) or something like that, I can't really remember. How do I make it work again?
If you updated the nintendo way, you need to run IOS downgrader. Also you need a cIOS for it to work

2) It seems like suddenly everybody knows how to code a USB loader... how? I've been wanting to make one.
Don't really know, but I think there is a tutorial somewhere

3) Isn't it knid of alot to go out and buy a whole new hard drive for USB loaders? I'm guessing it isn't possible to just make to seperate partitions each formatted the way it needs to be? (One for games, the other for whatever it was originally used for?)
Every partition can be formatted to its own file system. Like: partition 1 = WBFS (backups) and partition2 = FAT

4) What is the best current USB loader with the most features, etc... Also, I saw one earlier that had a spinning disc image below to the boxart... I know there are alot like this but I rmeber he somehow had Guitar HeronII ofr the Wii, or atleast the boxart.
The newest ultimate loader based on v1.5 is the best. The cd cover thingy is still being made (i think)

5) What does "installing" a game do? It creates a channel in the wii menu, so you can directly boot a game on the HDD. The channel uses the same banner as the official game shows in the disc channel

I forgot a bunch of questions as I was typing, I probably come up with more later.
Someone can correct if its wrong


#5 is wrong.

All installing a game does is rip it to the hard drive so you can play it directly from there.It is possible to create a channel for the game but its a longer process and the loader itself does not do it.
 
icpmattj said:
tj_cool said:
I'll try to answer them as good as I can
G2K said:
I've been gone from the Wii scene for a while and I came back with a bunch of questions.

1) On Menu 4.0, Wad Manager 1.3 no longer works and gives me the error (ret - 1) or something like that, I can't really remember. How do I make it work again?
If you updated the nintendo way, you need to run IOS downgrader. Also you need a cIOS for it to work

2) It seems like suddenly everybody knows how to code a USB loader... how? I've been wanting to make one.
Don't really know, but I think there is a tutorial somewhere

3) Isn't it knid of alot to go out and buy a whole new hard drive for USB loaders? I'm guessing it isn't possible to just make to seperate partitions each formatted the way it needs to be? (One for games, the other for whatever it was originally used for?)
Every partition can be formatted to its own file system. Like: partition 1 = WBFS (backups) and partition2 = FAT

4) What is the best current USB loader with the most features, etc... Also, I saw one earlier that had a spinning disc image below to the boxart... I know there are alot like this but I rmeber he somehow had Guitar HeronII ofr the Wii, or atleast the boxart.
The newest ultimate loader based on v1.5 is the best. The cd cover thingy is still being made (i think)

5) What does "installing" a game do? It creates a channel in the wii menu, so you can directly boot a game on the HDD. The channel uses the same banner as the official game shows in the disc channel

I forgot a bunch of questions as I was typing, I probably come up with more later.
Someone can correct if its wrong


#5 is wrong.

All installing a game does is rip it to the hard drive so you can play it directly from there.It is possible to create a channel for the game but its a longer process and the loader itself does not do it.

How WOULD I go about doing that?
 
G2K said:
icpmattj said:
tj_cool said:
I'll try to answer them as good as I can
G2K said:
I've been gone from the Wii scene for a while and I came back with a bunch of questions.
5) What does "installing" a game do? It creates a channel in the wii menu, so you can directly boot a game on the HDD. The channel uses the same banner as the official game shows in the disc channel

I forgot a bunch of questions as I was typing, I probably come up with more later.
Someone can correct if its wrong

#5 is wrong.

All installing a game does is rip it to the hard drive so you can play it directly from there.It is possible to create a channel for the game but its a longer process and the loader itself does not do it.

How WOULD I go about doing that?
Yep icpmattj is right
I mess things up sometimes with all those functions
wacko.gif

Anyway, to rip a game insert a disc go to usb loader and press +, thats all (some loaders block the ripping function or use another button)
 
tj_cool said:
1) On Menu 4.0, Wad Manager 1.3 no longer works and gives me the error (ret - 1) or something like that, I can't really remember. How do I make it work again?
If you updated the nintendo way, you need to run IOS downgrader. Also you need a cIOS for it to work

on my menu 4.0E as far as i know i can use any WAD manager, the one i use though is 1.21 from my SD card menu, i think its the one that uses custom IOS because wen you load it up it says custom IOS detected lol

that might be why it works
smile.gif


and i havent IOS downgraded or anything, just cIOSCORPed and Preloadered it, and of course it has cIOS_r9 and (had, update may have deleted) cIOS_fix. and for the record it was the official update XD

life story again lol
 
I did the official update to 4.0 from nintendo and im still able to use everything.

One thing you might not have is a patched ios60.
 
G2K said:
OK, I tried installing cIOS36 rev 10, but I got the same error I did trying to install a wad, which I checked and is (ret = -1).


Did you do network install or wad install?

Also i think ret -1 error means its something to do with the sd card.Try a different sd card.



Also it might be the patched ios60 your missing thats causing the wad installer not to work.You should be able to downgrade back to 3.2 and then reinstall the needed files before upgrading back to 4.0
 
WiiPower said:
Test this WAD Manager:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=149502&st=0
(search a mirror of R2, 3rd page)

Try IOS36 and IOS249 with it. It doesn't touch usb if you use sd, so it has a slightly higher compatibility.

OK, that worked!
biggrin.gif
Am I going to have to constantly use this installer instead of the other one? If so, is there a wad for this so I can install this to the menu?
 
Ok, I found the loader I was thinking of in Q#4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5SEcYKiWAo

There's no link in the description though, and I can't find the forum thread anywhere...

Also, about installing... I saw in a thread that it just dumps the necessary part of the game, and not the blank space (which fills it up to 4.35 GB). Is it possible to do this without a loader, so I can shrink game I already dumped?
 
G2K said:
Ok, I found the loader I was thinking of in Q#4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5SEcYKiWAo

There's no link in the description though, and I can't find the forum thread anywhere...

Also, about installing... I saw in a thread that it just dumps the necessary part of the game, and not the blank space (which fills it up to 4.35 GB). Is it possible to do this without a loader, so I can shrink game I already dumped?


That loader is on the board here somewhere just gotta look around for it.


Installing the game does shrink it take all the junk out.
Wii sports ends up going from 4.37gb to .3gb

There are wbfs programs for the computer that will shrink the iso files as they are put onto the hard drive,but theres no way to store the files that have been shrunk on your computer.If you try to extract a small game from the hard drive it will make it full size again.
 

Site & Scene News