Hardware Lost My Charger Can I use Galaxy s8 Cable

Xandroz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
the amazon basic cables are top notch to be honest i use them with my iphone and they work like a charm.
my anker charger is 2.4A so i guess its ok.

i see alot using docks beside the nyko one which caused all this panic and they are on 5.0 i guess nyko does something, never liked any of the stuff they used to do for cooling the 360 if you remember it gave the consoles red ring of death and the switch its bricking.

ill just use the amazon cable for now and will cost me 1/6 of the price of the charger price untill i lay my hand on the genuine one.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is your anker 15v 2.4A or 5V2.4A?

if its 15V 2.4A it probably wont do much difference to the original, but if its 5V it might have hard job playing+charging or docked...

Xandroz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
its 5v 2.4A
lets say i wont play and charge at the same time. also i use it in portable mode only wont use the dock

i guess it will do the job right.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
If I plug my 5v smartphone into my 15v Switch adapter, will it autodetect the 5v needed, or fry my phone with 15v? (It's a switching power supply that came with the Switch.)

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can safely charge the Switch with the S8 charger or in fact any other standard USB adapter. It will not provide enough power to play docked, which you don't want anyway, but you can charge and you can also play while charging. 5V/2A is enough for that. It will only take longer to fully charge.

Reactions: peteruk and Xandroz

Tumoche

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
If I plug my 5v smartphone into my 15v Switch adapter, will it autodetect the 5v needed, or fry my phone with 15v? (It's a switching power supply that came with the Switch.)
I tried to charge my Nexus 5X with the switch charger and it charges for a second then stops. I think it detects the 15V

Last edited by Tumoche,
Reactions: Jayro

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is fuckin' ridiculous. If they had just stuck to the god damn standard, considering it's there for a freakin' reason....

Do we have some kinda compiled list of chargers and cables that are safe for use with the Switch? If not, it'd probably be a good idea to get one going.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its not just Switch, almost every device is out of standards sucking more and more power than what was supposed for USB I wonder is why they didn't kept using a separated power adapter like all old phones. My Sony Xperia Z2 has USB and has a separated magnetic connector just for the charger.

All smartphones should have bring a USB just for data and the normal power from USB standards and then have a separated magnetic charge port, I wonder what are manufacturers waiting to put a god damn magnetic port on all devices out there, laptops, smartphones, tablets...

USB is prone to breaking specially the micro USB. I prefer the 3rd later Mini USB port. I have lots of friends that broke their Micro USB port on all kinds of devices, wireless headphones, smartphones...

Even my USB-C port from my brand new Switch I only charged it like 4 times and if I move a bit it stops charging and I never forced or blend it. I blend the metal plate of the cable for better connection, but its a bad cable with the common folded metal joint together instead of a single piece of hard metal.
I tried to charge my Nexus 5X with the switch charger and it charges for a second then stops. I think it detects the 15V
Probably is the device that misses something for the switch charger to detect... Everyone say the 5V output of the Switch charger is used when you connect it to the controller pad for charging them, so they have something inside to probably make the charger to output 5V, no idea... Standards......

Last edited by guily6669,

NZ_reg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Don't now about Switch, but I charge my 3ds from PC via $1 chinese cable. Two years without any problems.

themyst

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
USB-C is NOT USB-C. Sort of how not all Micro USB cables are alike.

It infuriates me to see OEMs turn what should be a universal standard into proprietary accessories. The other side of the equation is that cheap USB-C cables don't have the appropriate standard-spec capacitor which will inadvertently destroy devices in worst case scenarios.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Xandroz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
i read a topic on reddit related to different chargers and powerbanks and they compared them all to the oem one. but cant seem to get hold of the topic lost in the history

bluke

Trophies
XP
Country
NS always use 15v no matter what on dock or handheld mode.
If you want to play while charge then find the power supply that can output 15v

Xandroz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
its better to charge slower than charger faster and burn something just saying :D

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

ill be getting an oem one next month when my friend comes over from germany.

geodeath

Trophies
XP
Country
It works fine, but you will not be able to use quick charge which means while the charger is supposedly at least as good as the nintendo one, you will not be able to play and charge. Fine to leave to charge while not playing though. This is exactly what i did when i went on holidays, as carrying 2 almost identical chargers takes more space, not to mention that the switch charger is massive in size.

Reactions: Xandroz

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just put them on something like a school bag...

If you think the original charger is big my super small full laptop 11.6 inch with powerful I7 quad core 3rd gen and Nvidia GT650M has a charger as big as the fat Xbox360 power brick and it's even heavier than the whole laptop LOL

But this is a customized unbranded laptop from Clevo so I had to upgrade the charger to be able to use the I7 I also have a moded bios that support OC and a custom CNC cooler.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: