Hacking Losing my MicroSD FAT partition

corky

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is the second time my MicroSD card lost it's FAT partition and stops being recognized by windows. First time was when I was in the middle of using FATSORT. The other time it happened was when I pulled out my card reader then later put it back in only to find it saying "please put a disk into drive X."

I suspect either my MicroSD card is defective or the R4DS USB card reader is defective.

Anyone else have problems like this or have any input of why this is happening?

A couple of infobits that may be useful. I am running on a Kingston 2GB microcard. Also, I notice that when I use the R4DS USB card reader in my PC it begins to get very warm to the touch. I am wondering if this implies a problem within the card reader that could cause this. I also have a habit of pulling out my card reader without properly using the "safely remove hardware" button in XP. I somewhat ruled this out as the problem because I've been pulling out flash memory hundreds of times over the years without a problem.

leetdude_007

Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I would definitely look for a reliable USB card reader. The one that came with the R4/M3DSS is not trustworthy and therefore have never touched it. I've dealt with a couple before I got reliable read/write. Don't ask me what it is, it's some generic one I got from Asia.

Why don't you try FAT32 once you get the right hardware? I personally have never had any issues. Also everything is sorted automatically.

corky

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This particular card I was working with was for my Supercard lite and it only uses FAT. I was using the R4DS USB card reader to do it.

I will take your advice and get myself a more reliable card reader. I just want to put my mind at rest now because I have a 14 day window to return my Kingston memory if it happens to be defective.

wrathek

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(srry for dbl post)
but unless you mean VERY warm, it's to be expected. mine gets a little warm
biggrin.gif

Retal

Trophies
XP
Country
I would definitely look for a reliable USB card reader. The one that came with the R4/M3DSS is not trustworthy and therefore have never touched it. I've dealt with a couple before I got reliable read/write. Don't ask me what it is, it's some generic one I got from Asia.
Don't use the generic one from Asia that comes with the R4. Use another generic one from Asia. That's some good advice, thanks for sharing.

leetdude_007

Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Don't use the generic one from Asia that comes with the R4. Use another generic one from Asia. That's some good advice, thanks for sharing.

They're all from bloody Asia!
rofl2.gif
I just cycled through a couple or so until I got one that was working great. I'm a cheap guy.

Retal

Trophies
XP
Country

corky

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I found out the definitive cause. I took another microsd card and used it in the R4DS USB reader and sure enough it corrupted the FAT partition as well. The corrupt cards still read in the DS, but can no longer be recognized in windows.

The only way to get these cards functional in windows again is to format them in a digital camera. My data is gone, but I can always put it back. I'm just glad it was the crappy R4DS USB reader that was the cause and not my memory.
smile.gif

Takrin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
my brother had this problem with the older R4 usb reader, i just gave him the new usb reader off the second R4 i bought and it fixed the problem

*Edit*
also it took him all day to transfer games to microsd then in middle of it stop and not completely write the game

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yWIobzBdKc