Hacking Question Looking for (up to date) comparison between Atmosphere and SX OS

cloudfe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Disclaimer: if you are looking for a flame war, please go somewhere else.

I am currently using SX OS, firmware 10.0.3 (unpatched model).
While I still hope SX OS will keep being supported, the switch to Atmosphere may soon become a mandatory step for me.

At this end, I was trying to better understand how the two CFWs stack up now against each other (in terms of functionalities, easy of use, etc.). But I can't seem to find an up to date summary anywhere on this internet of ours. And I was hoping I could ask the experts :wink:
I do have some experience with Atmosphere from a couple of years ago, but I can't say these are good memories (I still remember those faithful 48 hours spent with Goldleaf and Tinfoil, failing time after time in installing a game via USB...).

To cut it short: would you help me understand what I would be gaining and losing if I were to switch from SX OS to Atmosphere right now?

Last edited by cloudfe,

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
SX OS
Pros:
- Piracy patches included from the start
- XCI mounting support from sdcard and external drive
Cons:
- No support for 11.0.1+ FW
- Paid
- no language override support
- no support for mitm sysmodules (f.e. MissionControl)
- emunand for Mariko units is flawed (it's not completely separated from nand, updating sysnand to 11.0.1+ for some people resulted in not working emunand even if they'd 11.0.0 or lower)
- no support for overriding system settings
- no customer support (this is paid product and noone from SX will help you if something won't work)
- Supporting all FWs is not their strong point (old ones are not important for them, so using SX OS on old FW is showing many bugs)
- On Mariko units layeredfs mods for subtitleids (so DLC titleids and additional executables like in Assassin's Creed 4 package where Rogue has different titleid than 4) are not working
- Practically dead

Atmosphere
Pros:
- Free
- support for mitm sysmodules
- language override support
- emummc for all units is completely separated from nand
- support for overriding system settings
- support from atmosphere team if you find a bug
- richer cheat type list
- Still alive and supports all FWs
Cons:
- No support for any kind of backups and installers by default

I wrote those points from base user perspective. I could implement tons of Pros for atmosphere if including dev perspective.

Last edited by masagrator,

tpax

Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
You'll lose XCI support. You'll gain support for the most recent Switch FW.

Aside from some minor irrelevant stuff that no regular human being is interested in, that's it.

I recently switched from SX OS to Atmosphere. Would have used SX OS till the end of Switch's days, but things don't look very bright for future SX OS support. Still use my SX Pro dongle to boot Atmosphere.

mcmanic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Did this myself yesterday also and updated f/w 12.0, just get the latest Atmosphere and fusee.bin and sig patches by ITotalJustice, then i still use the SX Pro dongle, options screen, select payload, select fusee, then atmosphere will boot.

edit, make sure if your going to update f/w to have these files on sd card before you update and use Daybreak Nro (get latest)

Last edited by mcmanic,

tpax

Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
Did this myself yesterday also and updated f/w 12.0, just get the latest Atmosphere and fusee.bin and sig patches by ITotalJustice, then i still use the SX Pro dongle, options screen, select payload, select fusee, then atmosphere will boot.

edit, make sure if your going to update f/w to have these files on sd card before you update and use Daybreak Nro (get latest)

Does latest SX OS support using fusee as payload directly? I remember where they blocked fusee from being loaded as a payload, so I went with the hekate route to boot Atmosphere.

cloudfe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Thank you for the answers.

Since the last time I deep-dived in this subject, I remember that installing games from the USB was still a big plus for SX OS (at least in terms of reliability - as I mentioned, I've never succeeded with Goldleaf and Tinfoil).
Is this still the case? Or did things become easier?

Atmosphere
Pros:
- richer cheat type list

Can I ask you to elaborate? I've always found SX OS to be quite straightforward when it comes to cheats.
Is Atmosphere better on this regard?

Inaki

Trophies
XP
Country
SX OS
Pros:
- Piracy patches included from the start
- XCI support from sdcard and external drive
Cons:
- No support for 11.0.1+ FW
- Paid
- no language override support
- no support for mitm sysmodules (f.e. MissionControl)
- emunand for Mariko units is flawed (it's not completely separated from nand, updating sysnand to 11.0.1+ for some people resulted in not working emunand even if they'd 11.0.0 or lower)
- no support for overriding system settings
- no customer support (this is paid product and noone from SX will help you if something won't work)
- Supporting all FWs is not their strong point (old ones are not important for them, so using SX OS on old FW is showing many bugs)
- On Mariko units layeredfs mods for subtitleids (so DLC titleids and additional executables like in Assassin's Creed 4 package where Rogue has different titleid than 4) are not working
- Practically dead

Atmosphere
Pros:
- Free
- support for mitm sysmodules
- language override support
- emummc for all units is completely separated from nand
- support for overriding system settings
- support from atmosphere team if you find a bug
- richer cheat type list
- Still alive and supports all FWs
Cons:
- No support for any kind of backups and installers by default

I wrote those points from base user perspective. I could implement tons of Pros for atmosphere if including dev perspective.
How true is this ?
No XCI support.

Inaki

Trophies
XP
Country
you cant run xci games directly but you can install them
We know that, but no XCI mounting support, which includes mounting from external storage device.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

True true? Dunno what answer you are expecting. :ph34r:
Well, I have seen that mentioned a couple of times, but I haven't seen an explained case or something like that... not saying that's not the case, I would just like to see some case...

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for the answers.

Since the last time I deep-dived in this subject, I remember that installing games from the USB was still a big plus for SX OS (at least in terms of reliability - as I mentioned, I've never succeeded with Goldleaf and Tinfoil).
Is this still the case? Or did things become easier?

Can I ask you to elaborate? I've always found SX OS to be quite straightforward when it comes to cheats.
Is Atmosphere better on this regard?
Installing games has become a bit easier now. There's a new tool called DBI Installer that has an MTP installation mode. You run DBI on the Switch, choose the "Run MTP Installer" option and plug it into your PC. The Switch will show up as a series of drive letters. To install a game you just copy and paste the NSP, NSZ, XCI file into the "MicroSD Install" or "NAND Install" drive and it'll install it for you. You don't need to run any kind of special software on the PC, it's all done by the Switch.

cloudfe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Installing games has become a bit easier now. There's a new tool called DBI Installer that has an MTP installation mode. You run DBI on the Switch, choose the "Run MTP Installer" option and plug it into your PC. The Switch will show up as a series of drive letters. To install a game you just copy and paste the NSP, NSZ, XCI file into the "MicroSD Install" or "NAND Install" drive and it'll install it for you. You don't need to run any kind of special software on the PC, it's all done by the Switch.

This seems pretty great, thank you for the info :)

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I have seen that mentioned a couple of times, but I haven't seen an explained case or something like that... not saying that's not the case, I would just like to see some case...
Every time it is mentioned is because of the lack of mounting .XCI files via Atmosphere which is why some people were attracted to SX OS. After all, since .XCI files are cartridges, they are meant to be mounted. A few people do not consider being able to "install" .XCI files proper support for .XCI files since in reality, it is just converting it to a .NSP file then installing said .NSP file.

Reactions: cvskid and Jarmenti

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.livescience.com/59831-cotton-candy-grapes.html#:~:text=To%20make%20the%20Cotton%20Can...