Looking for a VOIP app

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by JustChillin1414, Jul 25, 2013.

1. JustChillin1414
    OP

JustChillin1414 <3 Tiny Tina

Mar 27, 2009
    Canada
    BC
    I have a unique situation I need help with. Basically this is the setup, I live with my cousins, we like to play online games together with my brother. Me and my cousin are in the same room, and my brother is living elsewhere. I want an app that would allow me to mute my cousin without muting him for my brother, this way everyone can hear each other and we eliminate annoying echoes.

Thus far I haven't found functionality like this in Skype or Hangouts, do you guys know of an app that would allow us to do this?

Thanks

2. Ryupower

Ryupower Brood

Oct 8, 2007
    United States
    have you look at
    mumble or teamspeak

3. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    I go with mumble.

4. PityOnU

PityOnU GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    Last I checked, Mumble is the most configurable and fastest VOIP solution available.

It's really tricky to set up and connect to, but I've used it and enjoyed it.

Also, if you and your cousin(s) are playing in the same room, why not get a boom mic and use a single account over Skype or something? Saves a lot of fiddling as I'm really not 100% convinced you will be able to remove all of the echo from two people being in the same room.

5. GreatCrippler

GreatCrippler Greatness Fallen

Mar 27, 2010
    United States
    Ventrilo is also an option.

6. PityOnU

PityOnU GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    Vent has some pretty serious lag issues. It's easy to set up and use, though, so a lot of people choose that.

Try explaining how to connect to a Mumble server to a guild mate at 3AM in the morning using in-game chat.

7. GreatCrippler

GreatCrippler Greatness Fallen

Mar 27, 2010
    United States
    We started using it over Vent a few months back. I admit I was pretty grumpy about it for awhile given the setup, but after using it for a bit, it is mostly preferable.

8. JustChillin1414
    OP

JustChillin1414 <3 Tiny Tina

Mar 27, 2009
    Canada
    BC
    I just tried mumble and it looks like it will work for our purposes, I haven't tried it with two people in the same room yet, but it has the muting functionality that I want.