Gaming Looking for a awesome app/game for NetBook

Magoo222

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've got ScummVM on mine, so Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max, Indiana Jones etc. They're still amazing games, not too graphic intensive, and if you've never played them before I'd really reccommend them. The same is true for PC owners too though!

http://www.scummvm.org/

gov78

Ha made you Look
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
man im suprised no one saise diablo 2:lod i got it on my net book and play a bit of online when i can find a hotspot best thing is they released a patch in march not bad for a game the came out almost 10years ago

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
myuusmeow said:
Half-Life
Half-Life Blue Shift
Half-Life Opposing Force
Quake
Quake II
Quake III Arena
Torchlight (maybe)
World of Goo
These.
Also, I'll copy-paste when I was suggesting freeware games to a friend of mine. My computer's 5 years old so these should run on a netbook.

(10:28:39 PM) rydianmorrison: Continuum is an old MMO 2D space shooting game with various ship classes that have different weapons, strengths, and weaknesses on different servers (I usually play the slower-paced one-shot one-kill server, trench wars), it's free, it's a nice time waster, and you have to develop strategy to win regularly.

(10:31:37 PM) rydianmorrison: Hm, you could play Phantasy Star Online, the SCHT private server is nice and regularly has people playing. It's a 3D PvM (or whatever it is, player versus world, not other players) MMORPG from the time of the dreamcast that got a few ports, the PC port has the most content by far. It's based in the future, so you use laser swords and beam guns to fight mutant monsters and crap.

(10:34:13 PM) rydianmorrison: Torchlight is a recent Diablo 2-like game made by some people from the original diablo team, and some other famous game makers. It's a LOT like diablo 2 with some new elements (mostly ones from the FATE games) and WoW-style graphics. It's not free, though, but it's one of those games that people recommend buying instead of pirating if you liked diablo 2, they say it's that good.

(10:40:15 PM) rydianmorrison: Warsow is a a 3D FPS game originally based off the Q2Fusion engine, the team works on the engine themselves and such, it's made from the ground-up to be for e-sports and LAN competitions and such, the graphics even reflect that by having bright cartoon-shaded models against dark/techno/mech scenery. It's popular overseas and they regularly host competitions. Of course there's extra game modes as well, I LOVE the "race" mode.
(10:40:19 PM) rydianmorrison: The game added walljumping and dashing to spice up gameplay, and in the race mode you use special movement tricks and ramps and walljumping and such (as well as rocket jumping and machine gun wallclimbing and shit) to make it from one end of a specially-designed level (of god, there's hundreds) to the other as fast as possible. It's one of my main hobby games. XD Anyways there's also team game modes and stuff, and people ALWAYS playing.

(10:43:42 PM) rydianmorrison: AnUntitledStory is a little game somebody made that plays similar to super metroid, I like it.

(10:44:09 PM) rydianmorrison: Of course Cave Story is so epicly amazing that nintendo paid the guy so they could release it on the wii.

(10:38:52 PM) rydianmorrison: Nethack is an old-old-old-style RPG game, it's main format is text-based (like the dungeon walls and stuff is ASCII art), though you can play it with graphical tiles. It's NOT one of those shitty DnD games where you have a FPS view and do stuff by typing "move forward", it plays like an action RPG, it's a top-down view.
(10:38:55 PM) rydianmorrison: It's two things.
(10:39:12 PM) rydianmorrison: 1 - Hard. Some people have played it for years without winning. When your character dies, it dies.
(10:39:27 PM) rydianmorrison: 2 - In-depth. It's AMAZINGLY in-depth.
(10:43:15 PM) rydianmorrison: For example, in one part if you break into a vault, you can get asked you name by a guard. If you tell him you are "Croesus", he'll be all "Oh, sorry to disturb you!" since that's the name of an ancient king or whatever. However, if you already met that king in a side-quest and killed him, the guard will know you're lying and attack you. Also, if you say your name is Croesus and your alignment is lawful, you get a small penalty for lying... unless you named your character Croesus, in which case you don't get the penalty because you're not lying!
(10:44:05 PM) rydianmorrison: The engine of the game is so complex that... let me give another example.
(10:45:48 PM) rydianmorrison: Jubilex is the only monster that you can kill just once. He's some weird geletin-demon, so you can't stone him (if you have gloves you can WEILD a damned cocktrice corpse to stone monsters!), he has no neck/head to speak of so he can't wear an amulet of life-saving (the game keeps track of stuff like this), and he doesn't leave a corpse.
(10:47:08 PM) rydianmorrison: You can also try to stone if you're polymorphed (via a ring of polymorph, polymorph trap, or polymorph spell or wand) into a cocktrice, or if you have a pet one, I think you can command it to.
(10:47:39 PM) rydianmorrison: Holy crap, if somebody took how complex nethack's world is and applied it to a modern 3D game, people would cream their pants just watching the commercials.

(10:48:47 PM) rydianmorrison: Anyways. Onto another. Synaesthete is a game some college kids made, it's like DDR mixed with a bit of action-adventure cyber monster busting. The soundtrack is nice, and each "level" has a neat little story to it. It's really presented well.

MarioBrotha

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
ng that nintendo paid the guy so they could release it on the wii.

(10:38:52 PM) rydianmorrison: Nethack is an old-old-old-style RPG game, it's main format is text-based (like the dungeon walls and stuff is ASCII art), though you can play it with graphical tiles. It's NOT one of those shitty DnD games where you have a FPS view and do stuff by typing "move forward", it plays like an action RPG, it's a top-down view.
(10:38:55 PM) rydianmorrison: It's two things.
(10:39:12 PM) rydianmorrison: 1 - Hard. Some people have played it for years without winning. When your character dies, it dies.
(10:39:27 PM) rydianmorrison: 2 - In-depth. It's AMAZINGLY in-depth.
(10:43:15 PM) rydianmorrison: For example, in one part if you break into a vault, you can get asked you name by a guard. If you tell him you are "Croesus", he'll be all "Oh, sorry to disturb you!" since that's the name of an ancient king or whatever. However, if you already met that king in a side-quest and killed him, the guard will know you're lying and attack you. Also, if you say your name is Croesus and your alignment is lawful, you get a small penalty for lying... unless you named your character Croesus, in which case you don't get the penalty because you're not lying!
(10:44:05 PM) rydianmorrison: The engine of the game is so complex that... let me give another example.
(10:45:48 PM) rydianmorrison: Jubilex is the only monster that you can kill just once. He's some weird geletin-demon, so you can't stone him (if you have gloves you can WEILD a damned cocktrice corpse to stone monsters!), he has no neck/head to speak of so he can't wear an amulet of life-saving (the game keeps track of stuff like this), and he doesn't leave a corpse.
(10:47:08 PM) rydianmorrison: You can also try to stone if you're polymorphed (via a ring of polymorph, polymorph trap, or polymorph spell or wand) into a cocktrice, or if you have a pet one, I think you can command it to.
(10:47:39 PM) rydianmorrison: Holy crap, if somebody took how complex nethack's world is and applied it to a modern 3D game, people would cream their pants just watching the commercials.

That sounds really interesting, might try it out

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
It's absolutely amazing, it's like playing single-player DnD mixed with zelda.

If you open the command/CMD prompt in windows and type telnet nethack.alt.org you can connect remotely to a server where you can play nethack games (without having to download it) and also watch other people play it. The upper players in the list (with the least idle time) are the active ones playing at that moment. Of course this only shows you the text interface...

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
impizkit said:
Torchlight is great and will work on a netbook.
Not the traditional Atom @ 1.6GHz, 1GB RAM, Intel GMA 950 netbook it won't. I got about 5 FPS on mine with the lowest settings and the low texture pack installed.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Maybe if you're looking at google image thumbnails.
tongue.gif
You can easily spot how low-quality the textures are and how low-poly the models are once you play PSO on a PC fullscreen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay