OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
I have a NAS server with roms. I thought it'd be nice if it was possible to load these roms on my NDS over the network and play them directly without the need of an microsd cart. I assume this isn't supported by any of the flashcarts, but would this ever be possible?

azotyp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Poland
I think not, unless nintendo would develope that technology (which they wouldnt, cose it would make piracy easier). Nintendo ds memory is 4MB of ram it is too small to fit all downloaded game.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only the Download Play demos would work this way as they are small enough to fit entirely into RAM. Official games rely on the entire rom being available on a card to pull resources and code from, and it would not be possible to stream this info to the DS wirelessly.

nightraver

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Yes I meant actually that I would like to stream roms to my flashcart over the wireless network. Then you don't have to run to the pc and copy the games on your sd cart, but just copy them over with your NDS.
It would be nice to have an homebrew app that lists your roms which are located on a network drive, then select the games to be copied over. The selected games will then stream directly to your microSD memory in your flashcart over the wireless network.

I'm going to give that app lilou box try.

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Let's see: ~30kB/s max transfer rate (if you're lucky) and for example a 32mB .nds file. Waiting almost 20 minutes doesn't seem that fun. (or practical, some ROMs are 128mB, 1 is even 256mB)

dmonkey21

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
myuusmeow said:
Let's see: ~30kB/s max transfer rate (if you're lucky) and for example a 32mB .nds file. Waiting almost 20 minutes doesn't seem that fun. (or practical, some ROMs are 128mB, 1 is even 256mB)
Totally off-topic, but which one is 256MB?

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
myuusmeow said:

Lol millibyte?

The correct abbrieveation of Megabit is Mb.

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Besides, you'd need Flashme because the games aren't RSA signed.

edit: didn't read the topic, sorry.
lecture.gif

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
dmonkey21 said:
myuusmeow said:
Totally off-topic, but which one is 256MB?

I think it's A.S.H.

Edit: Yes, it is.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The transfer speed would be a problem, yes. If my experiences with DSLinux are any indication, the DS can actually receive data quite fast (80-100 kb/s), but once it starts writing that data to the card itself, things really bog down to about 30 kb/s max.

In addition to the Lilou Combox app, you could try the various networking apps available in DSLinux if you have a slot-2 device with extra RAM. There's ftpd for FTP transfers, and Samba support for using a standard networking client, plus you might be able to use ssh or wget for something as well.

techforumz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so let's do the math:
A typical 32MB ROM will trim to about 20MB
a 20MB file will zip to about 10MB
The first 4MB will be at 100KB/s (Direct to RAM)
The last 6MB will be at 30KB/s (Direct to Flash)
So 40 seconds for the first segment.
And 200 seconds for the last segment
Total DOWNLOAD time: 4 minutes.
Unzip time: 96 seconds
Total time: 6 minutes
That's alot of time for one ROM, but if you really want to, it's possible.

nightraver

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
DanTheManMS said:
The transfer speed would be a problem, yes. If my experiences with DSLinux are any indication, the DS can actually receive data quite fast (80-100 kb/s), but once it starts writing that data to the card itself, things really bog down to about 30 kb/s max.

In addition to the Lilou Combox app, you could try the various networking apps available in DSLinux if you have a slot-2 device with extra RAM. There's ftpd for FTP transfers, and Samba support for using a standard networking client, plus you might be able to use ssh or wget for something as well.

100 KB/s would be acceptable I guess, it would take 5 minutes to transfer an average sized rom. Too bad that it lowers to 30 kb/s with writing the data. Maybe it's better with a flashcart with built-in memory instead of a SD-cart?

Anyway, I tried that app Lilou box, I could FTP to my home NAS server, but I was unable to browse to my roms directory. It just showed my root directory and if I clicked it, nothing happened...

DSLinux sounds interesting, unfortunately I don't have a slot-2 device.

P

pasc

matriculated said:
You could save on transfer times by trimming and zipping the files. But unzipping under DSLinux is probably slow.

I would recommend DSCompress for this purpose.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Both of mine are i5's lol
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    All right! Who stole my right sock? :angry:
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    At least someone other than myself thought it was funny :rofl:
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    DNDBD (DND×DBD) IS A REAL THING
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I didnt have school today
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Cuz it's some kind of holiday related to the town I live in
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Am I [R WORD]?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, People who create revival services for the Wii end up in disaster, same goes for Pretendo lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast wiimmfii went fine although people only use it for Mario kart Wii
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least if they ban you for cheating, get another Wii. They're cheap as chips.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ngl i feel like if a bunch of my friends have wiis and know how to get wiimmfi and back up their NAND, then we could do a PMEX Remix tournament
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon