ROM Hack List And Uploads for Japanese-English "Un-dubs"

Psyren

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basically, there are so many topics (at least I used to see them a lot) asking for un-dubs (aka replacing the English dubs with the original voice cast in the ROM file) of certain games and people who (for whatever reason) cannot make or create the un-dubs themselves. I happen to be one of those people who haven't been able to do an un-dub myself (as I use a Mac and not a PC; which has most if not all of the necessary components needed to create a successful un-dub). I'd love to play these games and help out others who cannot make or find their own un-dubs as well.

....So....considering I have extra web space that I own that isn't being used for anything...

I propose an idea.

I can easily create and host a site that would have the un-dubs for any DS games that people wish to un-dub (or that have been un-dubbed before) in .zip, .rar...whatever file format would work the best for everyone.

I only ask a couple of things in return.

1. Please do not give out the link to the site (when I make it) outside of gbatemp.net. Hosting is expensive and while I'm confident that I can host and handle the traffic from GBATemp's visitors...I don't really want the entire internet hunting me down for these files. If you have a friend who'd like to have the files; I'd suggest having them join the community here at GBATemp.net (or by sending them the files via file-transferring programs, IM'ing them to them, etc). Also, with the uncertainty of hosting files such as these, I'd like to keep it within the community (and hopefully not risk that wrath of Nintendo, if you know what I mean) and therefore a bit easier for me to manage who knows the links, etc.

2. All files will come with a .txt file (or some sort), listing who created the un-dub (unless otherwise asked not to add that information) as I'd like to give credit where credit is due.

3. Do not host the files without my permission. I don't mind if people want to mirror the download files elsewhere, but please ask me first. It's just polite to ask before you do that.

And...other than that, it should be pretty easy to follow and get the files that you need!
smile.gif

Of course, I'll need help to do this. I need to find and test the un-dubs (which I can do myself, unless others wish to help), find ways to download the original un-dubs (to put them on my web space) and to keep updated on which un-dubs have been made.

(Note: I may, with permission; add fan-translations if people wish for those files to be available as well. Again, permission would be needed and I'd update the given files when major updates to that translation occur)

If anyone has any input on this project or mine, would like to assist me in some fashion or just want to voice your ideas, please post within the thread and I'll get back to you as soon as I can!

Psyren

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes this is a double-post. Sorry in advance for it - But I wanted to keep the list separate from the main post)

This is the placeholder for the upcoming list of hosted un-dubs (with who made them, etc)

Spikey

Your Special Someone
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DarthNemesis said:
You may want to read the "Warez" & ROMs section of the rules before you go any further with this idea...
Indeed.

Posting links to the files to undub the games will no doubt contain the copyrighted files from within the ROM, which is against forum rules.

Drkirby

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SpikeyNDS said:
DarthNemesis said:
You may want to read the "Warez" & ROMs section of the rules before you go any further with this idea...
Indeed.

Posting links to the files to undub the games will no doubt contain the copyrighted files from within the ROM, which is against forum rules.
Not all of them. Don't some of them just require you to have both the English and Japanese version of the ROM in the same area, and it just copies the files over?

Psyren

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Drkirby said:
SpikeyNDS said:
DarthNemesis said:
Indeed.

Not all of them. Don't some of them just require you to have both the English and Japanese version of the ROM in the same area, and it just copies the files over?

Alright, I re-read the rules and can see where the issues may lay.

However, I guess something still confuses me a bit. GBATemp has multiple sections, links, etc to places where translations are currently going on, and these sections all have links to wikis or places where one can download files to create translated roms.

But, if I read the rules correctly, isn't that still "having links to material that is illegal for the forums?"

I mean...if I can't host the ROM files themselves (which is fine), could I host and link to the .zip/.rar/whathaveyou files to create the undubs then?

I guess what I'm saying is...I understand that ROM hosting isn't allowed. That's fine, but could hosting the files to create the un-dubs be considered an alternative? I wasn't trying to make trouble or the like, I just thought it might help lessen threads where people ask for the undubs to be made (or ask for help making them).

Sorry in advance for any issues I may have caused.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Drkirby said:
Don't some of them just require you to have both the English and Japanese version of the ROM in the same area, and it just copies the files over?
Yes, but that requires tools to pack and unpack the .nds files, and one of the stated purposes of this "service" is to provide the undubs for people that can't run the tools (i.e. Mac users). Once a game is undubbed you can create a patch to undub a clean rom, but the patch will probably contain the Japanese sounds, and those are copyrighted.

Anorhc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Psyren said:
I mean...if I can't host the ROM files themselves (which is fine), could I host and link to the .zip/.rar/whathaveyou files to create the undubs then?

I guess what I'm saying is...I understand that ROM hosting isn't allowed. That's fine, but could hosting the files to create the un-dubs be considered an alternative?

The problem lies in that there are different methods of undubbing for each ROM. Patches (as mentioned by Destructobot) will cross the legal guidelines because they will contain the Japanese audio. Therefore, hosting anything of the sort will ultimately be illegal. You mentioned translated game patches for ROMs, but these patches merely edits the data with non-copyrighted materials from the community into the ROM itself rather than replacing with copyrighted material by the game company.

The only feasible way I see this happening is for you to host the tools needed for each ROM undubbing, and a tutorial for how to go about doing them. Other than that, it won't fly legally with GBAtemp rules.

Psyren

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anorhc said:
Psyren said:

I guess what I'm saying is...I understand that ROM hosting isn't allowed. That's fine, but could hosting the files to create the un-dubs be considered an alternative?

The problem lies in that there are different methods of undubbing for each ROM. Patches (as mentioned by Destructobot) will cross the legal guidelines because they will contain the Japanese audio. Therefore, hosting anything of the sort will ultimately be illegal. You mentioned translated game patches for ROMs, but these patches merely edits the data with non-copyrighted materials from the community into the ROM itself rather than replacing with copyrighted material by the game company.

The only feasible way I see this happening is for you to host the tools needed for each ROM undubbing, and a tutorial for how to go about doing them. Other than that, it won't fly legally with GBAtemp rules.

Hmm...I guess it sounds like it's going to be completely worthless to attempt this then. Oh well...I guess I'll have to find another way to help myself and others get the files that we'd like to play.

Thanks for your comments and advice everyone.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.