Hacking [LINUX+MAC] Emunand Tool Max

hama

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why this tool make my new 128gb sd card to visible only 64gb ?

i just buy new 128gb sd card for upgrade from 64gb sd card

1. i have backup nand + 3ds from my old 64gb sd card
2. format emunand on 128gb card
3. restore backup to new 128gb sd card

now when i check info my 128gb sd card show capacity only 61.72gb, it look like 64gb sd card not 128

i think there are problem when restore backup to other card size

i found that this program use old card partition size, i also cant modify partition to extend it so maybe i must reformat

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-16 at 4.59.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-16 at 4.59.41 PM.png
    29.8 KB · Views: 237
Last edited by hama,

nastys

ナースティス
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
why this tool make my new 128gb sd card to visible only 64gb ?

i just buy new 128gb sd card for upgrade from 64gb sd card

1. i have backup nand + 3ds from my old 64gb sd card
2. format emunand on 128gb card
3. restore backup to new 128gb sd card

now when i check info my 128gb sd card show capacity only 61.72gb, it look like 64gb sd card not 128

i think there are problem when restore backup to other card size

i found that this program use old card partition size, i also cant modify partition to extend it so maybe i must reformat
When you restore the backup of another SD card, don't restore the MBR!

nastys

ナースティス
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
what you mean? don't restore the MBR.

can you describe how to do?
When you backup the emuNAND with ETM, it saves an additional .MBR file.
When you restore the backup, it looks for that file. If it exists, it asks you if you want to restore the MBR.

If it didn't ask you if you wanted to restore the MBR (and there is no such file), then the partition table might be damaged (and we know the 3DS does not like big SD cards...).

hama

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thank you, i found .mbr file in my folder, so i'll delete it and try again. i will come back to report it work or not

--------------

another thing i just try new process from the start (no backup&restore) i found that i cannot load devmenu.3ds or title_manager.3ds in gateway card (it work before with 64g card) but i can load game.3ds
if i cannot load title_manager then i cannot install cia file. i think maybe there are problem with 128g card

everytime i try to load devmenu.3ds or title_manager.3ds in gateway card, 3ds will hang and ask me to restart

so i think the last chance for me to use 128g card is using backup & restore via your tool

Last edited by hama,

nastys

ナースティス
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
thank you, i found .mbr file in my folder, so i'll delete it and try again. i will come back to report it work or not

--------------

another thing i just try new process from the start (no backup&restore) i found that i cannot load devmenu.3ds or title_manager.3ds in gateway card (it work before with 64g card) but i can load game.3ds
if i cannot load title_manager then i cannot install cia file. i think maybe there are problem with 128g card

everytime i try to load devmenu.3ds or title_manager.3ds in gateway card, 3ds will hang and ask me to restart

so i think the last chance for me to use 128g card is using backup & restore via your tool
Try FBI or Big Red Menu.

hama

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
for 128gb card issue with bigblue menu & dev menu i found solution here

for emunand tool max, it freeze if delete .mbr in folder just click no on popup after press restore button (somebody dont know what mbr stand for especially for noob like me, there should be some description for perple who want to upgrade to bigger size card)

emunand tool in activity monitor window alway show "Not responding" in red color while it running, it come to normal when done
the software no indicator like % percentage and any sign that show it still working, now there're only spinning wheel cursor when i put cursor on program window
yesterday i delete .mbr file, i wait for 3 hours and it still not finish so i go to check and found that program already hang, my backup file is 50gb, first time that i restore it use only 75 minutes
this morning i restore again with .mbr file inside folder but click no on popup and finish one hour later

i use 128gb sandisk sd card, write speed only 12-14MB/s actually i want to buy Lexar 633x 128gb write speed around 21-23MB/s highest in market for 128g card but i'm not sure about failure rate because i read many complaint about card stop working and write protected issue. i want to use this card after this for many years so i want to make sure that card wont fail before end of 3ds life

btw, thank you for your work for Emunand Tool Max for MAC, before i use Emunand Tool for windows i have to use it on my windows computer that i no longer use for long time after move to mac i dont like that i have to use 2 machines i hope there will be more 3ds tools for mac.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 189
  • Screen Shot 2015-07-17 at 7.41.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-17 at 7.41.47 AM.png
    43.9 KB · Views: 228

nastys

ナースティス
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
for 128gb card issue with bigblue menu & dev menu i found solution here

for emunand tool max, it freeze if delete .mbr in folder just click no on popup after press restore button (somebody dont know what mbr stand for especially for noob like me, there should be some description for perple who want to upgrade to bigger size card)

emunand tool in activity monitor window alway show "Not responding" in red color while it running, it come to normal when done
the software no indicator like % percentage and any sign that show it still working, now there're only spinning wheel cursor when i put cursor on program window
yesterday i delete .mbr file, i wait for 3 hours and it still not finish so i go to check and found that program already hang, my backup file is 50gb, first time that i restore it use only 75 minutes
this morning i restore again with .mbr file inside folder but click no on popup and finish one hour later

i use 128gb sandisk sd card, write speed only 12-14MB/s actually i want to buy Lexar 633x 128gb write speed around 21-23MB/s highest in market for 128g card but i'm not sure about failure rate because i read many complaint about card stop working and write protected issue. i want to use this card after this for many years so i want to make sure that card wont fail before end of 3ds life

btw, thank you for your work for Emunand Tool Max for MAC, before i use Emunand Tool for windows i have to use it on my windows computer that i no longer use for long time after move to mac i dont like that i have to use 2 machines i hope there will be more 3ds tools for mac.
On Mac, it's normal that it freezes until it's done and that it takes a veeeeery long time to backup or restore (expecially if you checked "Backup/Restore the Nintendo 3DS folder").
It doesn't matter if you have the .mbr file (the first sector of the SD card): if it doesn't exist, it will dump the MBR from the SD card.
On Linux, it works much better: it shows the progress and it's much faster.
Both versions are based on the same code, but GNU/Linux's dd is just a lot better than OS X's.
If it's really that slow, you might want to install a GNU/Linux distro (such as Ubuntu or Linux Mint) in a virtual machine (e.g. in VirtualBox).

hama

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thank you for your suggestion but i think it slow because of my backup file size and the limit of write speed on my sd card too
if i backup or restore just emunand it will done in a minutes.

ddurdle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm having issues. I backed up a SD card (emunand and 3ds files) and when I restore them onto a new card, I can see the spot for emunand and the 3DS files are showing up, but when I try to go into gateway mode, it doesn't load the emunand and 3DS doesn't detect the 3DS files (re-initializes).

nastys

ナースティス
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm having issues. I backed up a SD card (emunand and 3ds files) and when I restore them onto a new card, I can see the spot for emunand and the 3DS files are showing up, but when I try to go into gateway mode, it doesn't load the emunand and 3DS doesn't detect the 3DS files (re-initializes).
Before restoring a backup, you need to have an emuNAND on your SD card. If you haven't already, create it, even if you're going to restore the backup.

Last edited by nastys,

ddurdle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Before restoring a backup, you need to have an emuNAND on your SD card. If you haven't already, create it, even if you're going to restore the backup.
Ok. Created it using the format emunand, then restored the backup. Worked.

My Panasonic UHS-1 16GB card started causing the 3DS system to display "SD card not detected". Ran a fsck on the card, no issues. Tried powering down and resetting the card about a dozen times. Always the same error. It would still boot from emunand on the card but it said it couldn't read the data part. Had just finishing beating the Den of Trials yesterday, bye bye save file (don't extract backups everyday).

Card read perfectly well on a laptop, so backed up the card to transplant with a Lexar 300x 32GB. By the later afternoon, the system started seeing the original card again (lost the settings and theme, and all the CIA installs became unwrapped), but the save games were intact. Now with the emunand transferred, I'm running off the Lexar 300x. No damage, just lost a day.

Reactions: nastys

Keram

Newcomer
Trophies
In the wetter and more windy parts of Germany
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I have a manjaro archlinux on a thinkpad with an inbuilt card reader. My 3ds is an old one, was on 9.5. before.
Following this guide https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-installing-rxtools-custom-firmware-3ds-and-2ds.390867/ after downgrading to 9.2, i sucessfully managed to install rxtools and create an emunand. Now I wanted to make backups before unlinking the nands.
Since I prefer linux over windows, I was happy to find ETM for the purposes of backing up and restoring the emunand :lol: but sadly it refuses to recognize any emumand on my SD card.
Its a Samsung SDHC Class 4 with 4 GB. The emunand is definitely there, I have been booting into it using rxtools and the system prefs are showing the RX next to the firmware. My linux also recognizes and automounts the fat32 partition labeled GATEWAYNAND, the label is automatically entered in ETM so it recognized the card as well, but still says there is no emunand to find there...
Am I doing something wrong in using ETM? I am glad for any help. :)

Since I am a little impatient I will use another machine with windows and see if emuNAND tool does the trick for now, but if my issue with ETM can be resolved, I would be more than happy to stick to just linux.

nastys

ナースティス
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
oh yeah i forgot, implement this other dd command instead of 'dd' on mac :) thanks
http://daoyuan.li/solution-dd-too-slow-on-mac-os-x/
Done. It didn't really work that well, at least for me...
Please test it on your real Mac and let me know ;)
https://mega.nz/#!Zg5VCQ7S!oLoBnWmOeAh7tmprM8MeNN_JRHKny5WXUichhCP58Pk
https://telegram.me/filesbot?start=BQADBAADyQMAAhBPRAFg5qlHAY02PwI (I thought I could use Telegram as a mirror xP)

I have a manjaro archlinux on a thinkpad with an inbuilt card reader. My 3ds is an old one, was on 9.5. before.
Following this guide https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-installing-rxtools-custom-firmware-3ds-and-2ds.390867/ after downgrading to 9.2, i sucessfully managed to install rxtools and create an emunand. Now I wanted to make backups before unlinking the nands.
Since I prefer linux over windows, I was happy to find ETM for the purposes of backing up and restoring the emunand :lol: but sadly it refuses to recognize any emumand on my SD card.
Its a Samsung SDHC Class 4 with 4 GB. The emunand is definitely there, I have been booting into it using rxtools and the system prefs are showing the RX next to the firmware. My linux also recognizes and automounts the fat32 partition labeled GATEWAYNAND, the label is automatically entered in ETM so it recognized the card as well, but still says there is no emunand to find there...
Am I doing something wrong in using ETM? I am glad for any help. :)

Since I am a little impatient I will use another machine with windows and see if emuNAND tool does the trick for now, but if my issue with ETM can be resolved, I would be more than happy to stick to just linux.
I've never used Manjaro (although it reportedly works on Arch). It's likely it mounts the SD card where the program can't find it...
Can you please mount it and give me the output of "mount"?

Last edited by nastys,
Reactions: cearp

Keram

Newcomer
Trophies
In the wetter and more windy parts of Germany
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I've never used Manjaro (although it reportedly works on Arch). It's likely it mounts the SD card where the program can't find it...
Can you please mount it and give me the output of "mount"?

This is the sd card as listed by mount:
Code:
/dev/sdb1 on /run/media/marek/GATEWAYNAND type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,gid=100,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,showexec,utf8,flush,errors=remount-ro,uhelper=udisks2)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub:
    I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu: i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub: