Hacking Linked NANDS

kingaz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right but if you fuck up your sysNAND and require a backup.. wouldnt you have a brick, considering you cant access emu/CFW, and without a9lh you dont have the tools before boot. I could be wrong.. its been so long since I used menuhax. But I thought it relied on sysNAND being functional.

Ah, I got you. Yeah, you're probably right.

That's great, i will switch to A9LH.
About the Luma3DS, have you tried it? if it is easy to install i'm willing to change since the support for Luma is bigger than it is for the new RxTools project and for what i've toold, it requires less space in the SD.
Thanks again for the info.

I am using Luma3DS right now. It's great. If you use that guide I sent you, it will have you set up Luma3DS at the very end. Although pretty much every CFW is pretty much just putting a bunch of files and folders on the SD card. The only hard part is setting up A9LH in the first place, and even that is mostly just getting the OTP.

Just a preview: you end up temporarily downgrading emuNAND to 2.1 to get your console-specific OTP. That way, even if something gets screwed up, you just restore emuNAND and try again. It's very safe.

Reactions: nickwhit

Swiftloke

Hwaaaa!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll get back after work and try to point you in the right direction.

This is complicated. There's a lot of stuff, a lot of ways to screw up, and a lot of bad info, especially on GBAtemp.

We were all n00bs once, so hang in there.
Yeah, I think this is the first time I see a 'noob asking for help' thread being justified.
That's great, i will switch to A9LH.
About the Luma3DS, have you tried it? if it is easy to install i'm willing to change since the support for Luma is bigger than it is for the new RxTools project and for what i've toold, it requires less space in the SD.
Thanks again for the info.
NONONONONONO DON'T.
Look man, I'm not trying to be rude here. But I'm astounded that you've gotten as far as you have having a working emuNAND on 9.2 considering your current knowledge about 3ds hacking. Installing a9lh, in particular the part about downgrading & getting the OTP, will ABSOLUTELY give you a brick considering your current knowledge. Don't even get started yet. Stick to this thread for a week or two and ask absolutely ANYTHING you want to know. Once you feel confident in installing a9lh, don't and ask more questions for another week. THEN, MAYBE you'll be ready. MAYBE.

Purple Mudkip

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
emuNAND[/I] to 2.1 to get your console-specific OTP. That way, even if something gets screwed up, you just restore emuNAND and try again. It's very safe.
Yes, i've seen tutorial videos about A9LH saying the downgrade thing, they make a summary before geting into it and it seems scary haha.
Since it will make me setup Luma3DS, do i have to wait until i have Luma and then uninstall RxTools? i don't think so but it's better to ask you know, i'm kinda wary about this stuff.
NONONONONONO DON'T. Look man said:
I will do it but i wasn't planning doing it soon since i'm aware of my ignorance, as you said i'm trying to ask about everything to know a bit more about this stuff.

Last edited by Purple Mudkip,

kingaz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, i've seen tutorial videos about A9LH saying the downgrade thing, they make a summary before geting into it and it seems scary haha.
Since it will make me setup Luma3DS, do i have to wait until i have Luma and then uninstall RxTools? i don't think so but it's better to ask you know, i'm kinda wary about this stuff.

First off, I actually just learned that some awesome people have translated the guide into a handful of languages, including Spanish. If I'm correct and that is your native language, check this out:

http://www.elotrolado.net/hilo_mega-tuto-instalar-arm9loaderhax-y-luma3ds_2162112

Might make things easier and safer :-) It should be up to date as well.

Second, here's what you should be comfortable with before you downgrade:

1) Put every necessary file into the right folders on the SD card (if you struggle with this, I cannot help you :P).

2) Backing up important files when you are told to do so.

3) Backing up/restoring emuNAND.

4) Using the Universal Inject Generator to get FBI installed into the Health and Safety app.

5) Using FBI to install CIA files (like TinyFormat).

6) Using TinyFormat; you'll need to run it TWICE on your emuNAND to prevent bricks.

A couple of other things to note, from other comments you've made in this thread:
  • The "Nintendo 3DS" folder on your SD card is the only official folder that Nintendo set up on there. Everything else is homebrew and cfw stuff.
  • The "3ds" folder is actually for homebrew apps.
  • emuNAND is actually stored on a hidden partition on your SD card to prevent conflicts. Backing it up and restoring it mean formatting the card, which deletes everything. Always back up your SD card before doing this.

solress

Not a dev
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Don't watch videos about how to get A9LH. They become outdated real quick and using them only increases your chance to even brick.

Reactions: nickwhit

Purple Mudkip

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Don't watch videos about how to get A9LH. They become outdated real quick and using them only increases your chance to even brick.
But they provide their own links, so even if it's outdated i'm still following the guide with outdated files so there shouldn't be any trouble, i think this is safer since i just have to do exactly the same as the uploader does, in my eyes this is easier and then update it.
Anyways the tutorial is like 2 weeks old lol.

kingaz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But they provide their own links, so even if it's outdated i'm still following the guide with outdated files so there shouldn't be any trouble, i think this is safer since i just have to do exactly the same as the uploader does, in my eyes this is easier and then update it.

It's two weeks old. Which means it came out before 11.0 came out. Which means that it might tell you that it is okay to update your system when it is not okay to update your system.

Also, there are newer builds of Luma3DS that are necessary for dealing with 11.0.

nickwhit

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stop it.
If you cant read/follow the guide.. dont rely on videos either.
The processes and scene change almost weekly at times, and its absolutely NOT safer following randoms compared to the guide.

Purple Mudkip

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
It's okay, there is a guide. Just follow the guide. Hell, there is an up-to-date Spanish translation of the guide that I linked you to earlier.
Yeah that's not the issue, i just preffer the other way, but as everyone said, videos are outdated and the guide is better so i'll follow it.
I just like complaining.
I will use the guide, however as the pingas guy said, better wait and get a bit more of knowledge. i'll try it in a week or two and will keep you guys updated, thanks for the info.

nickwhit

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah that's not the issue, i just preffer the other way, but as everyone said, videos are outdated and the guide is better so i'll follow it.
I just like complaining.
I will use the guide, however as the pingas guy said, better wait and get a bit more of knowledge. i'll try it in a week or two and will keep you guys updated, thanks for the info.
Ive never really understood this whole "wait a week and learn more" approach so many people keep talking about.
Its not like you have to sit down and learn anything, unless you dont know basic terms such as emu/redNAND, sysNAND, HBL etc.
People make it harder than it is. All you have to do is read what the guide says and follow instructions, step by step.
It shouldnt take longer than a couple hours or so - that time mostly consisting of backing up NANDs for safety reasons.

Last edited by nickwhit,
Reactions: solress

Purple Mudkip

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Ive never really understood this whole "wait a week and learn more" approach so many people keep talking about.
Its not like you have to sit down and learn anything, unless you dont know basic terms such as emu/redNAND, sysNAND, HBL etc.
People make it harder than it is. All you have to do is read what the guide says and follow instructions, step by step.
It shouldnt take longer than a couple hours or so - that time mostly consisting of backing up NANDs for safety reasons.
Well, yes, it's true if i follow the steps exactly my knowledge won't matter at all, i'm just kinda nervous that's all.

When i have some spare hours i'll do this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4