ne1weknow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hi

Hoping someone can help me with something I've been struggling with on and off for days.

I can't for the life of me get "vertical" games (eg resolution 240x320 traditionally shown on a monitor sideways in an arcade cabinet) to display on the top screen with rotation applied which allows it be played on a 3DS in the regular way.

I've tried with the most recent nightly build, latest stable build, I've enabled / disabled TATE mode and located the rotation settings but nothing I do works.

As an example, Traverse USA displays in rotated format on loading the ROM on 3DS without tweaking any settings but on Windows 10 without any tweaking, it displays right side up automatically. On 3DS, if I move through the rotation settings - 90 deg, 180 deg etc - the display swaps between rotated left to rotated right but never vertical.

Pulling my hair out over this!

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
@ne1weknow Rotation doesn't work in RetroArch for 3DS. It never has, so you can't drop back to a working version or anything like that. It's currently on the to-do list of the person who's been handling changes in the 3DS build but there's a lot of things on his to-do list so there's no ETA.

ne1weknow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
@ne1weknow Rotation doesn't work in RetroArch for 3DS. It never has, so you can't drop back to a working version or anything like that. It's currently on the to-do list of the person who's been handling changes in the 3DS build but there's a lot of things on his to-do list so there's no ETA.

Ah-ha. Thanks so much. Couldn't find any mention of this anywhere.

Chad Banks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got it working properly today with the MAME 2003 core (you can also use the MAME 2003 Plus core) using the most recent Retroarch nightly and going into Settings -> Video -> Output -> Video Rotaton -> 90 deg

You may need to go into Settings -> User Interface -> Show Advanced Settings, for the above option to be available.

Last edited by Chad Banks,

MarioKartFan

Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
I just got it working properly today with the MAME 2003 core using the most recent Retroarch nightly and going into Settings -> Video -> Output -> Video Rotaton -> 90 deg

Yes. @justinweiss added this to Retroarch a few days ago and it works fantastic for retro Arcade Games (especially those that can be played one handed).

If you don’t see this you may need to enable Show Advanced Settings in your UI settings.

Goemonz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never liked using Mame on my 3DS. My advice, if you want to use Mame when you're out, is to get those Switch-style joypad clip-ons for your phone or tablet. Like these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-B...288705?hash=item1cf0b21c01:g:18EAAOSwDjlfNOQf

Mame and other emulators work significantly better (and with far less hassle) on my old Samsung Galaxy S5 than on my 3DS. They look better too and give you all the controls you need to make vertical games look and play right.

The native 240p screen on the 3DS sounds good (for mame) but it doesn't look right as most old arcade games used non-square pixels. I.e. You have to stretch the image to fill the 4:3 screen and it does a bad job. You have a choice of either a blurry image or ugly black borders on an already tiny screen.

For some reason this video only saved in 240p so it looks bad but you can still see Mame running on my phone:

My Samsung tablet is even better and will even play 3d titles in Mame and N64 emulators etc:

As it's 2020, I assume you already have a smart phone. Once you try Mame on it and see how easy it is to add new games, you'll probably lose all interest in Mame on the 3DS.

MarioKartFan

Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
I've never liked using Mame on my 3DS. My advice, if you want to use Mame when you're out, is to get those Switch-style joypad clip-ons for your phone or tablet. Like these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-B...288705?hash=item1cf0b21c01:g:18EAAOSwDjlfNOQf

Mame and other emulators work significantly better (and with far less hassle) on my old Samsung Galaxy S5 than on my 3DS. They look better too and give you all the controls you need to make vertical games look and play right.

The native 240p screen on the 3DS sounds good (for mame) but it doesn't look right as most old arcade games used non-square pixels. I.e. You have to stretch the image to fill the 4:3 screen and it does a bad job. You have a choice of either a blurry image or ugly black borders on an already tiny screen.

For some reason this video only saved in 240p so it looks bad but you can still see Mame running on my phone:

My Samsung tablet is even better and will even play 3d titles in Mame and N64 emulators etc:

As it's 2020, I assume you already have a smart phone. Once you try Mame on it and see how easy it is to add new games, you'll probably lose all interest in Mame on the 3DS.

Issue for me comes down to controls. I don’t like carrying around a controller for my phone. It’s always attached to my 3DS so that’s a better solution. For me anyway.

Also if you rotate the display and are playing old school vertical games like Pac-Man, Frogger, Donkey Kong, etc the aspect ratio works very well.

Last edited by MarioKartFan,
Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

chainswordcs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. @justinweiss added this to Retroarch a few days ago and it works fantastic for retro Arcade Games (especially those that can be played one handed).

If you don’t see this you may need to enable Show Advanced Settings in your UI settings.

I didn't think that MAME 2000 would have this feature when MAME 2003 wouldn't, neat.

Anyway, I downloaded version 1.9.0 and all its cores from the BuildBot and it works fine! I don't know if TATE Mode has to be enabled or not.

Reactions: Medoxthehero

Medoxthehero

Trophies
XP
Country
Morocco
I didn't think that MAME 2000 would have this feature when MAME 2003 wouldn't, neat.

Anyway, I downloaded version 1.9.0 and all its cores from the BuildBot and it works fine! I don't know if TATE Mode has to be enabled or not.
Where you found the tate mode in retroarch 3ds version
I'm struggling too mush to rotate screen even video rotation in output setting not help it just flip the screen left and right

chainswordcs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Where you found the tate mode in retroarch 3ds version
I'm struggling too mush to rotate screen even video rotation in output setting not help it just flip the screen left and right

Sorry for late response. Gosh I forget exactly. Try...
  • Settings>User Interface>Show Advanced Settings - Turn ON
  • Settings>Video>Output>Video Rotation - Set to whatever while the game is paused in the background
  • Settings>Video>Scaling> I turned off Integer Scale and I think it works fine if Aspect Ratio is set to "Core provided"
  • Quick Menu>Options>TATE Mode - Turn ON. You may have to do this too, I don't remember exactly. If the above steps didn't work properly, try turning this on FIRST then going back to adjust the rotation.
Hope this helps!

Reactions: Medoxthehero

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Right onto uremums 3d printed dildo