• Views 2,883
  • Replies 40

SANIC

GBATemp's Sonic Fan in Residence, 後
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't know. I thought the same when they announced Mario 128 back in the Gamecube-ish era, then that got transferred to the Wii, then got cancelled. Never trust Nintendo announcements. Meh.
Where did you get that info, Super Mario 128 did come to fruition on the Gamecube as Pikmin

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Only reason it isn't out right now is so Nintendo has a holiday title. They confirmed in January that it was "practically finished".

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't blame OP for being pessimistic. Nintendo doesn't have a very good track record when it comes to release dates...

After all, they kept us waiting for a new Zelda game from 2011 to 2017... Yes I know people argue that the trailer footage wasn't Breath of the Wind, but I think that was very misleading and almost blatant misadvertising on the part of Nintendo. Nearly everybody that saw that trailer was rightfully expecting a Zelda Wii U Exclusive, and never got one. Don't tease us with footage that will never exist, especially with popular first party characters.

And of course they kept us waiting with Smash Bros. delays and other games too. At this point I try not to get excited for any release date from Nintendo anymore.

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano

Mansize

GBATemp Hardware
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Where did you get that info, Super Mario 128 did come to fruition on the Gamecube as Pikmin

What? No. Miyamoto clearly stated that it was still in development when the "Revolution" was announced.
This was for Wired.

https://www.wired.com/2005/06/the-man-who-keeps-nintendo-cool/

WN: But there's still no sign of the long-rumored Mario 128 for GameCube.

Miyamoto: It's still floating around. We're searching for that fundamental idea that's going to drive the next 3-D Mario game. But we're not sure when that's going to jump out at us. We're doing lots of tests with small groups.

WN: If that's the case -- if the design process is still at the point where you're doing experiments and tests -- is it even possible that Mario 128 could come out on GameCube at this point? Or is it definitely a Revolution title?

Miyamoto: We think we want it on Revolution.

WN: So, there will be no new GameCube Mario platform game.

Miyamoto: Right. The Mario team can't create too many games at the same time, so they're concentrating on the Revolution.

SANIC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What? No. Miyamoto clearly stated that it was still in development when the "Revolution" was announced.
This was for Wired.

https://www.wired.com/2005/06/the-man-who-keeps-nintendo-cool/

WN: But there's still no sign of the long-rumored Mario 128 for GameCube.

Miyamoto: It's still floating around. We're searching for that fundamental idea that's going to drive the next 3-D Mario game. But we're not sure when that's going to jump out at us. We're doing lots of tests with small groups.

WN: If that's the case -- if the design process is still at the point where you're doing experiments and tests -- is it even possible that Mario 128 could come out on GameCube at this point? Or is it definitely a Revolution title?

Miyamoto: We think we want it on Revolution.

WN: So, there will be no new GameCube Mario platform game.

Miyamoto: Right. The Mario team can't create too many games at the same time, so they're concentrating on the Revolution.
It became Pikmin, it was confirmed in an Iwata Asks but I don't know which one

Mansize

GBATemp Hardware
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It became Pikmin, it was confirmed in an Iwata Asks but I don't know which one

?

Pikmin was released in 2001, the interview I just quoted from is from 2005; that proves 128 was still being worked on way after Pikmin was released. So no, it didnt "become Pikmin". Maybe one of the NGC first demoes showed an early phase of Pikmin, but that is something else entirely.

SANIC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
?

Pikmin was released in 2001, the interview I just quoted from is from 2005; that proves 128 was still being worked on way after Pikmin was released. So no, it didnt "become Pikmin". Maybe one of the NGC first demoes showed an early phase of Pikmin, but that is something else entirely.
Miyamoto said that when people asked him about the tech demo he responded that people were already playing it, Pikmin. The engine that allowed many figures to be rapidly produced and be controlled simitaneously is Pikmin.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
?

Miyamoto never said "Mario 128". As far as I can see, he's treating that question as being about a Mario sequel.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He answers two direct questions about 128, there is no mistake about that;

"It's still floating around" and "We think we want it on Revolution".
and how about the part where he states "We're searching for that fundamental idea that's going to drive the next 3-D Mario game"? Seems to me that if he was talking specifically about Mario 128, there'd already be a fundamental idea driving it: the 128 little Marios running around.

Mansize

GBATemp Hardware
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
and how about the part where he states "We're searching for that fundamental idea that's going to drive the next 3-D Mario game"? Seems to me that if he was talking specifically about Mario 128, there'd already be a fundamental idea driving it: the 128 little Marios running around.

Well... no, not the 128 Marioes running around anymore (obvs), but the project that evolved out of it. And out of that one. And that one. So yeah, it is incorrect to refer to it as 128 still, but that is where it began. We know the project existed seperately from Pikmin, Sunshine and Galaxy, and was supposedly "redefining".

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Mario 128 is likely just a resource pit for ideas, similar to ideas from star fox 2 becoming star fox 64 and star fox command.

In regards to odyssey, Id likely play something else instead (I rarely get excited now for games pre release, fortunately).

GunzOfNavarone

Trophies
XP
Country
SMO looks like the biggest 3D Mario game ever, even with open world features so while it's not as grand as BotW was, it's still going to be a pretty big game.

I get what you're saying, but I still heavily doubt that it will be as intricate as the system in BOTW, nor do I think it will have been in development for 4 years. The gameplay in Mario is fairly simple compared to the likes of Zelda especially BOTW.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, https://youtu.be/KaMSXIRReOo?si=2hRoijJtiwPUHXk5