LEGO announces Super Mario 64 themed playset

LEGO is teaming up with Nintendo once more for a unique toy release. As revealed by an announcement trailer, the latest collaboration involves a large "?" Block, which can be unfolded, with the contents within being a complete tribute to Super Mario 64, in full LEGO glory. It's a 2,064 piece playset that features Peach's Castle, Bob-omb Battlefield, Cool, Cool Mountain, and Lethal Lava Land, as well as 10 character minifigures such as Mario, Yoshi, Peach, and various Super Mario 64 enemies and characters. The Super Mario 64 ? Block playset will be available exclusively from LEGO on October 1st for a whopping $169.99, with a second release set for 2022 with general retailers.

Kirby6417

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shoulda used this block
215px-SM64_Exclamation_Mark_Block.png

Then I would find it really cool.
But not for that price!

Reactions: CeeDee

ciaomao

Well-Known Dude
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
That's why we have Chinese rip offs
yes, i was just about to order the cheap parts from aliexpress, but then decided not to do so and preferred to go for the original. it was about a lego marble track from hubelino. the chinaplastik has to evaporate again for weeks before at least a few plasticizers are out. well the lead color will remain. No thank you. too toxic for the children to play with it every day.

nine0nine

Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
The Chinese clones seem to have been doing a better job than Lego with Mario:

snip big pic

Is it so hard to do something at minifig scale?

these arent chinese clones (mainly becuase theyre technically unique), they're MOC (public created) that get made and usually sold as PDF instructions, the Chinese sellers are just sourcing the pieces and sticking them in a box.

As for if its difficult to make at minifig scale, sure it isn't, but that doesnt mean they have to do it.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man I think it's a cool set tbh. I ain't buyin' it, too much for me to care as someone who isn't a LEGO enthusiast, but... I like it. It's got fun details and Mario 64 is cool.

...is what I would say if it wasn't in a ? box instead of the ! one from Mario 64. Completely and utterly ruined. Unbuyable trash. Fuck Nintendo. More like Cringetendo. LEGO? more like LAMEGO.

Is it so hard to do something at minifig scale?
they really are avoiding making a minifigure of Mario huh..... that's okay, bootlegs exist
Bet you anything Nintendo's contract says Mario isn't allowed to be a regular LEGO minifig. That sounds like something they'd do.

SonicRings

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The funny thing is they tried promoting this on mynintendo by offering a Lego Mario keychain, but that keychain WASN'T LEGO! Like... How do you fuck that up?! WHAT IS THIS! WHY IS IT 2D?! IT SHOULD BE LEGO!

EcU3XsH.png

Nintendo is hilarious.

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
these arent chinese clones (mainly becuase theyre technically unique), they're MOC (public created) that get made and usually sold as PDF instructions, the Chinese sellers are just sourcing the pieces and sticking them in a box.

As for if its difficult to make at minifig scale, sure it isn't, but that doesnt mean they have to do it.

By Chinese clone I meant the companies not the MOCs. The same companies that produce MOCs there, produce clone sets, even if they brand them differently.

They don't have to but why won't they? The minifig and their scale is present across most Lego sets for the last 40 years (excluding Technic, Duplo, Friends and derived). Even the Creator line ended adopting the minifig and most builders aim for the minifig scale. It's just limiting combining stuff.

Bet you anything Nintendo's contract says Mario isn't allowed to be a regular LEGO minifig. That sounds like something they'd do.

Why would they though?

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is nothing but a collectible item, it is not for me personally, not because i don't like Lego (putting the ludicrous price aside), it just looks really boring with literally no creativity involved with moving the pieces..

Reactions: assassinz

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
They don't have to but why won't they? The minifig and their scale is present across most Lego sets for the last 40 years (excluding Technic, Duplo, Friends and derived). Even the Creator line ended adopting the minifig and most builders aim for the minifig scale. It's just limiting combining stuff.
Forcing a minifig scale makes some models prohibitively large and expensive. The so called micro and nano scale are very popular among builders, letting them create large scope dioramas, buildings and whole cityscapes with few bricks. Lego Architecture is an official series that uses a sub-minifig scale, and there are some other models that aren't built around minifigs because that would be gigantic and cost all the money in the world, probably. Example, the SHIELD Helicarrier model.
Back to your original question, yes, it would be hard to build it at a minifig scale. The castle, three levels, and that huge giant pointless box (but that's beside the point), at minifig scale, would be huge.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/sGvT5FKSiyk?si=TYqsdjjbF-4N8Xc8