LEGO announces Super Mario 64 themed playset

LEGO is teaming up with Nintendo once more for a unique toy release. As revealed by an announcement trailer, the latest collaboration involves a large "?" Block, which can be unfolded, with the contents within being a complete tribute to Super Mario 64, in full LEGO glory. It's a 2,064 piece playset that features Peach's Castle, Bob-omb Battlefield, Cool, Cool Mountain, and Lethal Lava Land, as well as 10 character minifigures such as Mario, Yoshi, Peach, and various Super Mario 64 enemies and characters. The Super Mario 64 ? Block playset will be available exclusively from LEGO on October 1st for a whopping $169.99, with a second release set for 2022 with general retailers.

sup3rgh0st

Top Tier Ghost
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lego sets cost, on average, 10 cents (USD) a piece. 2064 * 10c is $206.40USD. While this set is expensive, it's perfectly in line with Lego's other sets. Regardless of your thoughts on the price of injection molded plastic pieces, there is no 'Nintendo Tax' here.
Lego has always been expensive, as are other high quality toys such as BRIO train sets. They're built to last and aren't for everyone's wallet.

Reactions: Jiehfeng

BraveDragonWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I saw the thumbnail for this, I immediately was thinking, "Mario 64 itself is already blocky..." Then I saw the video...

They could have done a lot better...

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Cute, but way too minimalistic. Looks like something you could do by just finding the right lego pieces and putting some stickers on them.
Hell, I could prolly do a better and bigger diorama myself with cardboard or what.

nWo

The Game Master
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Mexico
I thought that it was going to be like the LEGO Mario electronic series. I myself am not a LEGO fan, but the LEGO Mario... damn when I see what it was and all that, I was happy because it is really nice to have around, and because it almost looks nothing like a LEGO, so I was okay with it. When I saw this, I said, hell, it's gonna be awesome!! But seeing those sad, sad little figures.... man, what a let down. The Peach one!! what the hell....

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been looking for a new fun build to put on display. Maybe Ill spend some Christmas money on this later in the year

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I get the opinion of Lego being a rip off but I’m a bonafide sucker who goes in for this. The one super nitpicky thing that immediately stood out to me is that Super Mario 64 didn’t use ? Blocks. They were ! blocks.

Vila_

Spanish code for Spanisher codecs
Trophies
Website
vilagamer999.github.io
XP
Country
Spain
People keep complaining about the price even though it's fairly consistent with simiar more adult oriented sets, I doubt a kid is going to buy this let alone know what a nintendo 64 is. Lego 100% knows who it's targeting this towards and they know that mony is not an issue for most of that audience. The set is cool I guess.

Reactions: CeeDee

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night