Learning website design

Discussion in 'GBAtemp Art Studio' started by WarazX, May 3, 2010.

May 3, 2010

Learning website design by WarazX at 7:17 AM (607 Views / 0 Likes) 1 replies

1. WarazX
    OP

Banned WarazX Banned

United States
    Hey,

I am wanting to start learning website design... not coding.

How do i start learning this. what programs do i need, and can someone redirect me to a tutorial that i could use to design my first website.

Thanks.

2. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    isn't the design only the look of it and defining the way it works internally (link to other page etc.) ?

I don't think there is a way to learn design, just take a sheet of paper and a pen, draw the look you want the site to have. I always start with that.
    Think how you want to menus to look and how you want them to work (popup, always shown, at the top, on the side, etc.)
    Think how useful it is to navigate, view and find things inside your webpage.

Design is only a matter of taste.

after the paper draft, you can start making it on your computer :
    You could use software to make the look (like Dreamweaver), create each web page to see if they are good looking.
    Then an image editor to create the look of it (Photoshop, Gimp, etc.)
    Though, you won't be able to test it fully, as you need coding to make it dynamic. But it's a good start to have the bones of the site. then let the coder do the job to make it work.

For information, I don't think it's a good idea to make all the design first, and the code at the end.
    I often need to do both of them at the same time, to know where I'm going and what I can or need to do.