Hardware Launching for $/€499 / £429? Are they serious?

ThatDudeWithTheFood

TRIANGLEZ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Microsoft's $499 RRP for Xbox One may have raised some eyebrows, but bigger pricing news may be to come tonight.
Games Industry reckons it has word from “a source close to the company” that Sony is preparing to announce three different PS4 SKUs tonight.
The cheapest is said to cost just $399, significantly undercutting its rival. The top SKU, however, could go on on sale for an eye-watering $599.
That translates in real money to £256 and £384 respectively. But after Microsoft saw fit to charge a full £110 more for the Xbox One in the UK than it will in the US, what this will translate to in the real world is a guessing game. £300 and £450?

If this rumor is true all you guys saying no way Sony is going to have a reasonable price on the PS4 are wrong.

Ethevion

Wannabe Artist
Trophies
Website
www.lvlupart.com
XP
Country
Canada
I got mine for $300.

S3s are going into the $400s.

And lets not ignore the people who have their phones with contracts. I've seen some $0 S3s w/ contracts around.
When the iPhone 5 came out there were long ass lineups in front of the Apple store because people wanted their phone without a contract and were willing to pay the price for it. Lots of people I know bought their phone without a contract.

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
When the iPhone 5 came out there were long ass lineups in front of the Apple store because people wanted their phone without a contract and were willing to pay the price for it. Lots of people I know bought their phone without a contract.

Not everyone bitching about the price will go buy it at launch for $499

AaronZ

Trophies
XP
Country
Are you saying the blue ray drive is only reason why the PS3 launched at such a high cost? If the new XBone will cost 500 dollars with a blue ray player and all it's added gadgets in 2013, how much are you thinking the playstation 4 will cost?

The blu ray drive apparently was the most expensive component, and it's not confirmed PS4 will be $399. XB1 just lost next gen. The end.

Reactions: Lushay

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
You realize that the technology to do this required nothing more than extra RAM? The Xbox One OS and the Windows OS are running as VM's inside a hypervisor. That extra functionality probably incurred such a miniscule increase in hardware costs that it's negligible.

It's not quite that simple though, is it? They've clearly plowed a significant amount of their R&D budget for the system into these features (as evidenced by how much of their initial presentation they took up) and that's all money that needs to be recouped through the price tag. Kinect is integrated and you have to pay for that even if you have no intention of playing any Kinect games, again, apparently, because they're determined that you must be able to, at any point, control your cable box like you're on Minority Report. Seeing as how they demonstrated about 20 times how quickly various things like IE, Skype, ESPN and Fantasy management came up after you issued a voice command, it's fair to say a lot of services are idling away in standby mode at all time, which takes processing power away from the games you're playing and may have had an impact on how beefy they needed their custom CPU.

Also, Microsoft is an American company. What did you expect? Just like Sony is a Japanese company and they definitely cater to their Japanese audience.

What major feature were Sony pushing which only the Japanese can use to anything like its full potential?

It is a BRAND NEW, cutting-edge console. Of course it's going to be expensive. FFS

Of course since you made this post we find out that the PS4 is going to be about $100 cheaper in the US and the equivalent of $130 cheaper here in the UK. Is that not a BRAND NEW cutting edge console? I've got enough disposable income to buy either or both, but firstly I'm not going to spend that much extra money for no reason and secondly I think the price point is going to be an issue even if money is no object. If you buy it and hardly anyone else does, because they'd rather get a PS4 with two games, which they can then swap with a friend, play, complete and swap back, then developers aren't going to see the size of the userbase as particularly attractive when it comes to developing games.

I haven't owned a Sony console since the PS1 (I went GameCube then 360/Wii) and I've spent this generation firmly in the MS camp, chortling at Sony's various missteps., but they've turned it around this time and it's Microsoft who've screwed up.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Things are always less expensive in the US. So even if it releases for £450 or £499 it will still be under US$700

Exmaples: (amazon)
360 250GB kinect bundle - US$409, £302
Sony PlayStation 3 500GB Super Slim Assassains Creed Pack- US$299, £279
WiiU deluxe 32GB - US$355, £269

And just ignore the Wii U basic 8GB, the regular Xbox360 and the PS3 12GB

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the phone point: not a ton of people will buy unlocked phones (which run huge rates), most people buy in contract. Also a phone is a phone, it's hard to underestimate the importance of it. In the past couple of months I've basically become merged with my phone. I bring it everywhere and use it constantly. An Xbox is a luxury; a phone is a necessity. To some people, a smartphone is a real necessity.

The price is a bit absurd, I was expecting a really cheap price but mandatory subscription (like $150 but you need at least a couple years of Xbox Live). $500 with an essentially mandatory subscription is really just way too high.

Sad thing is if the console was maybe $300 I would've considered it. Yes I don't give a fuck really about the always-online and stuff. I think it has some neat features, had a strong game offering, and the whole "used games DRM" is still a bit of a foggy area. We don't know exactly what it entails. In general there's been a lot of conflicting rumors and info on the Xbox One itself so I don't think it's entirely fair to make assumptions with hard sources from Microsoft.

Wintrale

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
People crying about the price yet they'll happily pay for a $600+ phone. Seems legit.

When I can get an Xbox One for free on contract, then you can make the comparisons. I'd never buy a phone. They're too expensive and they're too quickly made redundant by newer technology. You can't even have a phone for a year these days without a newer model coming out. It's a lot better and a lot cheaper to have a contract that allows you to upgrade your phone.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MS is really drinking too much of its own koolaid. 500$, no used games, always online... It's like they are secretly partnered with Sony to make the PS4 win or something.

As for phones, I seriously don't know anybody who has ever paid more then 300 for one. I personally have never paid more then 80. Like Guild said though, a phone is a requirement. I use mine for reference at work, help me shop, my calender, and oh yeah, phone calls. The days. I forget it are painful.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be fair the used game policy is still very confusing and we don't know exactly what it will be. To say "No used games flat" without a valid source is not entirely correct. Latest I heard is that it supports used games but there's some fee to pay?

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It theiretically supports used games if publishers allow it, but not at launch. Key point being if publishers allow it. You also can't just sell your games on ebay or something, as somebody has to be on your friends list for 30 days before you can transfer them. God only knows if rentals will ever be possible, cerrainly not at launch

Saying it supports used games is like saying its not always online. Technically true, but realistically bs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.