Latest version links for download pages

Ruri

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's one thing that's been bothering me slightly about the way GBAtemp's downloads are set up. You have these wonderful up to date news items, then you have a well-made download page with all the useful information and everything, right?

Except there's a problem. Look at this page to see the problem.

That's the "G6/M3 DS Real Loader v3.6", but, of course, there's a newer version out... and it's actually very hard to find the latest version on GBAtemp, because when you search all the older versions come up, too. Even when you find one, you have to manually confirm it's the latest version by going carefully over the forum or old news releases. Now, it's less of a problem with something major like that, of course... it's pretty easy to discover the latest loader version. But with homebrew that is only updated occasionally, it can be a real bother to find out if the download at GBAtemp you've stumbled across is the most recent one released, especially if no homepage link is provided. I frequently come across software on GBAtemp, then spend a while searching to ensure that I really have the latest version... this seems pointless when GBAtemp has all the versions of the software already.

I think it would be nice if GBAtemp could group downloads by software somehow, so that every version of the G6/M3 DS Real Loader (or whatever) is lumped together into one "G6/M3 DS Real Loader" category. Maybe a general page for the software itself would be automatically created... it could have a quick blurb and a link to the homepage, if you want to do that. Or even just an automated list of every download in the GBAtemp database that has the "G6/M3 DS Real Loader", that'd make it easy to figure out what the latest version is.

I mean, I suppose it isn't essential. But right now, different versions of the same software in the GBAtemp download database aren't linked together at all, and I think that's a shame... it makes it hard to navigate.

I don't know how hard this would be to do, of course. But it's worth considering.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.