Last resort - Setting up an FTP

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need some guidance! I've been working on it for about 2 hours now. I want an FTP set up so I can access my files remotely. I'm using Win 7 with Serv-U FTP.

• I enabled the program in Windows firewall
  • I added the port (I used a random port 1598) in my router settings
  • I am using Serv-U FTP, tried Filezilla but that failed just as much
  • I got a no-ip and it knows my IP, using FTPTest.net finds my IP when I use my no-ip domain
  • I've used an open port check tool, NO PORTS CAN BE SEEN even though I added the exceptions to Windows firewall in advanced settings, both incoming and outgoing.
  • I am not able to get in even if I try on my local network!
Any help is appreciated, even a link. Although I've scoured google and used just about every guide available, they all say the same thing and I believe I've already done all the necessary steps. I even disable the firewall in both Windows and my router, and still no open ports were listed. I think I am just fucked.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Your ISP may be blocking certain ports. They typically only block things like port 443, 80, 25 and 21 but various ones have been seen to do other things.

When you say "I am not able to get in even if I try on my local network" do you mean your no-ip site (modern routers are pretty smart but they can be tricked by dynamic DNS providers) or to the internal IP address of your machine?
If you can not see the FTP server from within your local network using the machine's IP address then either the server is not working or something on the machine is blocking it*.

*if you have a guest network type arrangement on your network and you are using that said guest network might be set up to not able to speak to anything on the home network.

When you say you added the port did you also apply the rule to the firewall settings and point said settings to your FTP server PC?

clubmaster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Double check your firewall rules. The opened port should be forwarded to the ip address of the computer running the ftp server.

----

Maybe better do it step by step:

Start the Serv-U FTP-Server and try to connect it from localhost (same computer). Failure means your Serv-U isnt properly working.

Next step would be trying to connect from a different computer on local network. If this step fails your Windows firewall might be blocking access or Serv-U isnt bound to the network interface.

Finally once local access is working you step over to port forwarding on your router.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I need some guidance! I've been working on it for about 2 hours now. I want an FTP set up so I can access my files remotely. I'm using Win 7 with Serv-U FTP.

• I enabled the program in Windows firewall
  • I added the port (I used a random port 1598) in my router settings
  • I am using Serv-U FTP, tried Filezilla but that failed just as much
  • I got a no-ip and it knows my IP, using FTPTest.net finds my IP when I use my no-ip domain
  • I've used an open port check tool, NO PORTS CAN BE SEEN even though I added the exceptions to Windows firewall in advanced settings, both incoming and outgoing.
  • I am not able to get in even if I try on my local network!
Any help is appreciated, even a link. Although I've scoured google and used just about every guide available, they all say the same thing and I believe I've already done all the necessary steps. I even disable the firewall in both Windows and my router, and still no open ports were listed. I think I am just fucked.
You did forward the port on the router, telling it the IP of your home PC so it knows where to send the traffic?

Also, you need to forward more than one port. You need to forward the ports used for passive mode as well or when you connect to the server, file listing and transferring won't work.
I've used Filezilla Server for this and it was relatively easy to set up, you just have to make sure passive mode uses a static port range which it doesn't by default.

Personally to access files remotely, I use a combination of TeamViewer's file transfer feature, its VPN, and file shares on my Windows 7 PC. I can access my file shares remotely by forwarding the right ports, but if I use TeamViewer's VPN feature I don't have to, which keeps it more secure as not just anyone can attempt to bruteforce my Windows password.. This works better than FTP, as with the file shares you can access the files as if they were on the same PC, including streaming videos or any other data right off the file share by just opening the files.

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i want to be able to use Showtime on PS3 to access movies and shows remotely as well as my files as well. I believe it can handle FTP but not VPN. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I did specify the home PC local IP (192.168.2.6) in the port forwarding settings.

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have to believe that these features just simply will not work.

i am giving up, i've done everything needed. just called my isp and put the modem in bridged mode as last resort. set the rules in windows firewall, removed my router firewall, removed both firewalls. these ports will not open, ive tried multiple different port #s.

ive tried this many times over the years but have never successfully been able to get this done, and this is why. no matter what settings i change it does not affect the connection.

idk how stupid this sounds, but really i've disable all the protection offered by my router and windows and I still cannot get in! i guess that means im safe from invaders, but FUCK this is annoying!

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
When you say Filezilla fails just as much, what do you mean? I've set up tons of FTP servers on multiple different networks using Filezilla with no issues whatsoever, even at a school with very restrictive internet/firewall rules. It's literally just install the program, set up directories and logins, then run the server.

Also, if your server is only going to be used within your local network then you should always use your local IP (check your IP on the PC with the server using the ipconfig command in the cmd prompt)

IIRC, PS3 Media Server should be able to stream to Showtime using UPnP, so give that a try as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1