Hardware Laptop cooling problems

neoncelery

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everybody hope you're all doing well and staying safe:shy: So to be brief my computer is giving me a hard time with it's cooling and I'm at the point where I have a couple of ideas on what to do about it but I'd like to hear from you all who have more experience on this if I should even waste my money because my laptop is very very very bad.:cry: Ok so the laptop I made the mistake of purchasing (honestly has to be one of the worst mistakes of my life) is the Lenovo IdeaPad Slim 1 with a and A9 processor and R5 graphics I believe. From the first minute I started using it, it was constantly over heating when I tried to run Terraria on it, it showed some ugly CPU throttling, I tweaked all sorts of options in the windows 10 settings but it only improved the speed by a little and didn't help the over heating at all. I opened the computer, removed and applied new thermal paste and still the over heating is a pain to deal with. This is usually how it goes i boot up a game it runs fine for a couple of minutes 5-10 then it starts stuttering and lagging extremely. When i opened up my computer i saw it had no fan at all and that's when i figured to myself holy molly its a crime that this thing is even marketable:gun: I cant do anything on this laptop after a few minutes it gets hotter than a witch's coochie and starts stuttering and lagging:hateit: everything from YouTube to simply moving files it just cant handle it because of the constant over heating. So i was wondering what do i do now? Should i even waste my money on a cooling pad or any other device since it has no fan or should i just give up on it and not waste my money? Do you guys have any advice on what i should do from here on out:wtf:? Thank you all:wub: I can always come here for help and advice.

also I don't know if i should add this but the copper plate covering the cpu/gpu has this sort of leather on it. Should i remove that or no? because i am no expert but i don't think that is helping the heat.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I’ve found laptop coolers useful in the past for hot laptops.

I have an Aluratek Slim USB Laptop Cooling Pad (Black) that I had bought for my previous computer and it did help. My problem is that, after a few years, my previous computer began overheating. I suggest that you dust off the cpu's vents once in a while

I’ve fixed a few overheating laptops by simply cleaning their fans/vents, which were suffering from thermal cut off. First one I looked at was so thick I thought at first it was a filter.

I even got into an argument once with someone over a faulty laptop, where I knew this issue was thermal cutoff based on my experience but someone else insisted it was software, the owner decided to try my solution (cleaning the vent) and it fixed the issue.

It does make me wonder how many laptops get unnecessarily replaced despite a potentially simple fix.

Last edited by tech3475,

neoncelery

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an Aluratek Slim USB Laptop Cooling Pad (Black) that I had bought for my previous computer and it did help. My problem is that, after a few years, my previous computer began overheating. I suggest that you dust off the cpu's vents once in a while
Yeah I hear ya but my computer has no vents or fans bud

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I’ve fixed a few overheating laptops by simply cleaning their fans/vents, which were suffering from thermal cut off. First one I looked at was so thick I thought at first it was a filter.

I even got into an argument once with someone over a faulty laptop, where I knew this issue was thermal cutoff based on my experience but someone else insisted it was software, the owner decided to try my solution (cleaning the vent) and it fixed the issue.

It does make me wonder how many laptops get unnecessarily replaced despite a potentially simple fix.
You have a point I have fixed a laptop by doing this too but my computer has no vents or fans.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd agree. a laptop cooler is a good investment, at least for me. I have the notebook cooler zm-nc2000 for both my laptop and my parents'. my parents have a lenovo, which is quite a bit better than my shitty dell. it has worse specs, but it does run better. a lenovo will be my next laptop.

Reactions: neoncelery

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
A laptop cooling pad might help by keeping the chassis where the cooler is touching cool (which will help dissipate heat a little bit), but as your laptop is passively cooled it probably won't help too much.

If you can't just return the laptop or sell it off/buy a new one, there's not much you can do really. You should always do research on any laptop you buy to be sure it's good for your use-case, checking reviews for your laptop I can see that the thing wasn't designed for much more than word processing/using a tab or two on a web browser, definitely not something you should be running any kind of games on.

I suppose worst case you could use a dremel tool to cut some vents into it yourself where the CPU heatsink is, then grab a laptop cooler that positions a fan over it. At least then it wouldn't overheat so bad, but it'll look like ass :P

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the one bad thing about a laptop cooler is that the usb ports aren't very powerful. I can't, for example, plug in an hdd. I don't use them aside from connecting the computer to power the cooler.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if a cooler could technically help with an overheating system, so that might be something to consider. I always buy an extended warranty for my dell laptops, because I've had problems with them in the past. once, they replaced the entire computer, because they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it.

this laptop crashes with custom actions in photoshop whenever I try resizing hundreds of photos at a time. my parents' lenovo doesn't, and it's very fast. I had to use it for my nes, snes, and genesis mini hakchi images. I've been impressed by it especially being a low-end model.

drgnslayers

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

that'd be great but alas, my computer died on me. Nothing would show on the screen and everything began failing except the hard drive that I converted into an external hard drive

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro