Hacking Lag on Acekard 2i

ravensfan8448

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ive had my Acekard 2i for awhile now and I did a lot of research before purchasing it. Up to this point it has work completely fine, but once I started playing pokemon white I started to experience problems with lag when I access the items in my bag, and try to drag and drop pokemon in my pokemon box. I never seemed to have any trouble with other pokemon games up to this points so I'm wonder what the problem could be.

I was thinking the only logical reason behind it is that since its a newer game maybe it is more demanding on the read speeds of my micro sd card and my micro sd can not keep up with it like it could the older pokemon games. I am currently using a sandisk class 2 16gb micro sd which is the first sd card I have ever purchased. Before purchasing the sd card I did some simple reasearch in what was important when shopping for sd cards and I didn't know anything about the classes or what they ment. At the moment it seemed like brand name was most important because multiple customers were complaining about the failure rates of off brand sd cards. I also remember looking into a forum that said that the speed of the sd card shouldn't matter for the performance of the Acekard 2i. I am running AKAIO 1.8.6a.

Now, the main reason I created this forum is to ask whether or not I should consider purchasing a new micro sd card for better performance. If I shouldn't buy a new micro sd card, what could be the problem behind my lag?

I purchases an Acekard 2i and a micro sd for my cousin, and he chose the micro sd. He chose an A-Data class 10 16gb which didn't cost too much more then the sandisk I purchased. According to him, he doesn't have any trouble navigating through the items in his bag or the PC box in the game and the game runs as smooth as it possibly can. This is the main reason why I believe the micro sd is the problem.

If the micro sd could be the problem it wouldn't be much of a hassle to buy a new one, since I just got a new cell phone that I wanted to upgrade the sd card for, and im sure that if I wiped my 2 gb sandisk I had now and used it for my cell phone the read and write times shouldn't matter for playing music.

I thank all those who spent the time to listen to my ramblings and offer their assistance.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Class is the write speed, and you're right that it's the read speed that's important... but a higher class means better quality, which usually translates into higher read speeds as well. Class-2 is the slowest class.

While "new card" would be the instant answer normally... you'd think you would have seen this problem with other pokemon games in the inventories and such, which leads me to believe it's fragmentation being the straw that breaks the camel's back. You can attempt using the Panasonic SD formatter and see if that takes the edge off enough to be playable.
http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/sd/download/index.html
Though it only mentions panasonic cards, it works great with all cards.

However if that does no good then it's time for a new card. Most people do fine with a class-4, but others suggest a class-6 to be sure. As for brands, beware of Kingston, they are NOT an actual manufacturer, but a reseller. Thus quality can vary highly. More info here/

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
shade3134 said:
I have a class 4 and also suffer from this same issue. I just reformatted and will see if that helped (which I doubt).
Again, Class is WRITE speed, not Read or Random Access time which is what you want to get rid of "lag".
A high Write speed (and class) usually means high read and low Random Access, but not always.

shade3134

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
shade3134 said:
I have a class 4 and also suffer from this same issue. I just reformatted and will see if that helped (which I doubt).
Again, Class is WRITE speed, not Read or Random Access time which is what you want to get rid of "lag".
A high Write speed (and class) usually means high read and low Random Access, but not always.
So what's causing the problem?

ravensfan8448

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I originally formatted my sd card with the panasonic formatter and I reformatted it less than 2 weeks ago so I doubt that is the problem. I didn't know that the class only defines the write speed though. I guess if I buy the same sd card that I got for my cousin it should work fine. Since I already know that the sd card he uses runs pokemon 5th gen no problem. If I still have trouble on the new sd card Ill try to figure it out from there.

Thanks for all the help guys.

MdX MaxX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have lag issues, namely with Pokemon games. It takes about 4 seconds to load a room or building when I walk through a door.

I know my MicroSD card is fake because it's formatted capacity is 3.98 GB (a 4 GB card), and when I tried to fill it, it wouldn't take more than 2.81 GB of data. It came with the Acekard, so I kind of expected that.

So, I decided to order a Kingston Class 4 MicroSD (8GB) off of Amazon today. I know the guy a few posts up said Kingston isn't reliable, but it was the only legit-looking 8GB Class 4 MicroSD with a healthy number of positive reviews. I ordered it directly from Amazon.com, not from another seller. Will the Kingston perform better than my crappy Class 2 fake card? Or should I cancel the order now?

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
MdX MaxX said:
I have lag issues, namely with Pokemon games. It takes about 4 seconds to load a room or building when I walk through a door.

I know my MicroSD card is fake because it's formatted capacity is 3.98 GB (a 4 GB card), and when I tried to fill it, it wouldn't take more than 2.81 GB of data. It came with the Acekard, so I kind of expected that.

So, I decided to order a Kingston Class 4 MicroSD (8GB) off of Amazon today. I know the guy a few posts up said Kingston isn't reliable, but it was the only legit-looking 8GB Class 4 MicroSD with a healthy number of positive reviews. I ordered it directly from Amazon.com, not from another seller. Will the Kingston perform better than my crappy Class 2 fake card? Or should I cancel the order now?
the 3.xxGB vs 4GB is not because it's fake or real... rather, the difference between the way the computer counts and humans count.
4GB is 4,000,000,000 bytes, but computers count by a power of 2: 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024.
So 4,000,000,000 bytes / 1000 (human counting) = 4,000,000KB, /1000 again = 4,000MB, /1000 again = 4GB
But 4,000,000,000 bytes / 1024 (computer counting) = 3,906,250KB, /1024 again = 3,814.69MB, /1024 again = 3.72GB

But yeah... If you're in the US, buy from NewEgg.com
I've dealt with them for nearly 10 years now and have been nothing but happy. They're cheap and they're fast. The two times I had a problem (not their fault, sometimes parts just come bad), they were extremely fast to respond and solve the problem.
I'm not alone in my glowing recommendations for NewEgg either.

MdX MaxX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, it should be 3.72 GB, as you said. That's what my 4GB flash drive is. But the MicroSD is 3.98 GB, which definitely is off.

Bah, I didn't check Newegg. Stupid me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs