L4T Ubuntu Applcation Install guides.

Discussion in 'Switch - Tutorials' started by StarGazerTom, May 2, 2019.

1. 6adget

6adget GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2016
    United States
    Sacramento, Ca.

So I just got it working on my switch. Nothing to install really. I just went to the plex website. plex.tv signed into my plex account, then clicked on the "launch" link. I have my plex server running on a headless PC running ubuntu. it's not a very fast PC. I can't remember the exact CPU, but i think it's a dual core Intel ruining at 2.2GH. My friends and fam all have access to it. there are times when i put a new movie on it, or something like GOT is on a given day, and i might have a dozen people streaming from it with no lag. not sure if you know this, but you cant stream to a mobile device without paying for a monthly, or lifetime plex pass. now that I can watch it on the switch I no longer have to bitch about that when i'm out of town.

2. mathew77

mathew77 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 19, 2019
    Norway
    About the configuration of the xserver-xorg-input-joystick and 50-joystick.conf file — I did my lil' neat config for the Morrowind (with commented keycodes, too!); left stick configured as WASD and right stick as a mouse movement, maybe anybody find it interesting for himself in other 3d-games, too:
    50-joystick.conf, put it in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/
    BTW, one can see keycodes by xev application in the terminal.

LeMageFro, tansoftware
    Thank you very much!..

Attached Files:

Last edited by mathew77, May 20, 2019
    MartianMSK, LeMageFro and galaxior like this.
  3. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Azores/Portugal
    How is Zelda Skyward Sword ? Curiosity because I haven't tried it just yet. Just want to know.

4. IGHOR

IGHOR Member

Newcomer
    Sep 16, 2017
    Ukraine
    How to enable binfmt_misc?

5. crabycowman123

crabycowman123 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 14, 2018
    United States
    Is there a way to install Desmume?

6. urherenow

urherenow GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 8, 2009
    United States
    Japan
    feeling lazy, and busy spoofing around (cheating) for PG community day... how is this compared to the latest Lakka?

Off topic, but you stream from your own plex server when out of town? How? Do you have a global IP address? Pay for dynadns or something? Please reply in a DM so the thread doesn't get de-railed.

Last edited by urherenow, May 19, 2019
  7. MartianMSK

MartianMSK Member

Newcomer
    Jun 17, 2018
    Italy
    Did someone have some luck installing PPSSPP, i've been trying compiling it for like 3 hour now, installing things it seemed missing etc, but the problem is that I have little to no knowledge about ubuntu and linux in general....
    Can someone give me some help?

8. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Azores/Portugal
    Hmmm ?

9. WuskyDingo

WuskyDingo Member

Newcomer
    Jun 2, 2018
    United States
    San Diego, CA
    the website is not the same as the actual desktop Plex Media Player application, though.

10. Hamdan

Hamdan Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 14, 2018
    Pakistan
    I wish there was a keybaord that could be controller using joycon, so not touch input required.
    Like on consoles, ya know?
    Nintendo swicth OFW, xbox, ps, etc.
    That would really just finish the whole thing!

11. monokin1114

monokin1114 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 21, 2019
    Canada
    You can open the keyboard app and use it. Its finicky but works

12. Techjunky90

Techjunky90 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 7, 2017
    United States
    You're just using the web browser viewer which is inferior to installing the standalone plex player.

13. Deathscreton

Deathscreton GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 1, 2009
    United States
    Are there any other performance tricks I can apply to the Switch (i've done the 2.0GHz overclock (though I don't think that's permanent and may need to be done everytime I boot), the SWAP file for 2gigs, and nothing else performance wise)? Often, Ubuntu will either stop opening applications, lock a core to 100% or just not respond to clicks (not frozen as my BT mouse can still click, move, explore, etc.).

14. 6adget

6adget GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2016
    United States
    Sacramento, Ca.

So I have been using Plex for several years now. I have 5 plex servers in my basement that I slapped together over those last couple of years. 3 running linux, 2 running windows. in my house i have plex clients on a roku, firestick, airtv, and two PC's. I have built clients for my friends and fam to have access to my servers. most of those are using the plex.tv website. can you explain to my in what way they are "inferior" to a desktop Plex app? TBH., the way it looks to me is a made a suggestion to help people out so that they could use a Plex client on their switch, and you are trying to nit pick and discourage anyone from trying what I said. The way I suggested you can play direct to a switch without transcoding on the fly, same quality video and stereo audio, full screen, and the list goes on. So again. what can a desktop plex app do that the web app can't do, and remember even some of the people that are actively in the development of plex watch their movies that way.

Centergaming likes this.
  15. WuskyDingo

WuskyDingo Member

Newcomer
    Jun 2, 2018
    United States
    San Diego, CA
    "Web Player can only directly play content supported by the browser.
    The Plex Media Player is a native app, supporting all the containers/codecs supported by the Operating System, including surround sound. Also, Plex Media Player offers a full-screen “TV Mode” optimized for use with a remote control when directly connected to a TV via HDMI." [1]

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

use a different desktop environment, such as XFCE.

Deathscreton and Techjunky90 like this.
  16. coppertj

coppertj GBAtemp Regular

May 26, 2017
    United States
    Hey, when I try to install retroarch (following the guide including adding the repositories listed) it will not download the cores. I want to use dolphin (latest version, need accurate NES emulation in animal crossing, I love ) vulkan without installing Lakka. IMO, Lakka is counter intuitive for people who are not novices however, I can't get retroarch working because the cores won't download, I tried manually downloading but the cores wouldn't work. Has anyone gotten around this? Please lmk <3

edit: yes github dolphin-emu works however only in openGL but, natinsula got dolphin vulkan working in Lakka so. I assume the retroarch build is not the same as the github build of dolphin

Last edited by coppertj, May 22, 2019
  17. Deathscreton

Deathscreton GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 1, 2009
    United States
    If I remember correctly, Vulkan is buggy in Dolphin. You have to go fullscreen in order to use it. If you don't wanna do that, use Ishiiruka as Vulkin works better with that than mainline Dolphin.

Also, can anyone suggest a Bluetooth configuration application for XFCE4? Google is giving me a plethora, but I'm not sure where to begin.

18. coppertj

coppertj GBAtemp Regular

May 26, 2017
    United States
    i use ishiiruka i would have said that in original post but i forgot the guys name lol.
    Yeah, dolphin now is optimized internally for animal crossing (as well as other games) in newer releases so it fixes nes emulation. I will try dolphin vulkan again but instead choose start in fullscreen option thank you!

Last edited by coppertj, May 23, 2019
  19. WuskyDingo

WuskyDingo Member

Newcomer
    Jun 2, 2018
    United States
    San Diego, CA
    This is false. Mainline Dolphin is much, much, much faster than Ishiiruka on arm64. I tried both.

20. Techjunky90

Techjunky90 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 7, 2017
    United States
    Isn't Ishiiruka old as dirt compared to mainline dolphin?