L button not responding/working(DS lite)

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by bbummbo, Apr 6, 2010.

Apr 6, 2010
  1. bbummbo
    OP

Newcomer bbummbo Newbie

Malaysia
    i Sent my DS lite to the shop and they said they will inform me in 1 week bout my L button

In the meantime i would like to ask if there's anyway i can repair it by myself, seeing as it could cost me quite a lot to fix it [​IMG]

2. thieves like us

Member thieves like us chaos personified

United States
    if you have a tri-wing screwdriver, you could always open it up yourself to determine the cause. the shoulder buttons are small micro switches which are surface mounted on the motherboard.

re-assemble the bottom part of the shell without the shoulder button in place, being careful NOT to break the power or volume switches and power it on and test out the switch itself. if the switch functions correctly, chances are the plastic shoulder button is not making contact correctly (look at the guide here both for dis-assembly/re-assembly as well as how the shoulder buttons work with the orientation of the springs).

if the micro switch doesn't work correctly, then you should let someone skilled with a soldering iron work on replacing the micro switch.

3. bbummbo
    OP

Newcomer bbummbo Newbie

Malaysia
    uhhmmm i kinda opened it( the L button popped out [​IMG] ) and saw the micro switch,so i tried pressing the micro switch while playing a game it didn't respond

4. thieves like us

Member thieves like us chaos personified

United States
    if it "popped out", then chances are that it just came off and needs to be put back on correctly. the shoulder buttons ride on a post which is held in place by both halves of the shell. additionally, there is a small spring that is coiled around the post, with the ends of the springs captured inside of the shoulder button and between 2 tabs that creates tension to keep the shoulder button's post from continually depressing the micro switch.

look at the dis-assembly/re-assembly guide here on the forum to view images of what I'm trying to describe.

5. linkinworm

Member linkinworm GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    buy a replacement button off ebay or something there very cheap. you just need some soldering skills

6. bbummbo
    OP

Newcomer bbummbo Newbie

Malaysia
    hmmm okay I'll give it a try if i ever find tat the cost for repairing the L button is too much [​IMG]

thanks a lot for your help =)