Kojima: Games shouldn’t try to tell stories

• Thread starter Deleted_171835
  • Start date
  • Views 7,876
  • Replies 73

Adr990

To boldly go where no man has gone before!
Trophies
Website
www.hyrule.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Woah, exactly the face I had when I read the Topic's title. :P

6NnFL.gif

Like seriously, is he trying to let other game developers make a game without a story so kojima himself can create more games with a story and make profit, because games WITH a story usually are the better ones out there.

D

Deleted_171835

OP
Well, I would say that a game that has you pressing a single button over and over for hours on end to get through part of a story is not very interactive. That's when you're basically watching a movie.
Have you actually played a single MGS game?

haflore

aeternaliter fluxa
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I would say that a game that has you pressing a single button over and over for hours on end to get through part of a story is not very interactive. That's when you're basically watching a movie.
Have you actually played a single MGS game?
I suspect he's talking about Call of Duty, and that button is "skip." :creep:

J/K

D

Deleted_171835

OP
If the game doesn't have a story, it's really not worth playing unless it's a puzzle or simulation game.
What a daft thing to say. You're essentially counting out pretty much every platformer (which don't have much stories beyond save the princess, etc.), rhythm games, the vast majority of Nintendo games and more.

Reactions: 3 people

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kojima was in charge of MGS4, which is pretty much a movie with gameplay, and now he's saying this?

In his defence, MGS4 as also directed by Shuyo Murata and at this point in time Hideo wanted to finish off at least Solid Snake's story

SuzieJoeBob

NOT a New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can't empathize with anyone in real life?
You know, since real life isn't a story.

Not having a story doesn't mean a lack of direction or emotional connection.
It's the difference between a story and a narrative.
You can have a great story and a bad narrative or a bad/no story and a great narrative.

You can watch a war documentary and feel empathy, anger, all sorts of emotions right?
But documentaries don't have a story. They don't have a plot.
They do tend to have great narratives though. They link events together with a central theme.

In terms of games it'd be like having a more immersive experience. A horror game doesn't need a plot for you to share the feelings of fear and anxiety. You don't need a story to empathize with a character suffering horrible things.

You have a very good point, and one that is reasonable as well. I still think know that Kojima is doing this to just get a rise out of people...

elenar

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I dunno, I've been telling my friends this for years.

Chess doesn't have a story; obviously it doesn't need one, people have been playing for centuries without one.

A good game is a good game because the people playing it are creating the story as they play. An expositional narrative within that game limits the players' ability to create their own story.

A game with a very detailed and robust story is enjoyable the first time you play it, but more because it's like vaguely, indirectly interacting with a movie or novel. It may contain a "wow factor" that will interest you, but you'll ask for a sequel or move on to a new game soon.

Super Mario Bros didn't have a story: you made the story. The Legend of Zelda: it is dangerous to go alone, take this. But you didn't have to. Your decision to grab it was part of the story you were creating. A cutscene that showed you taking the sword might be really neat the first time you see it, but you don't play a second time (or enjoy it as much, if you do) in the same way that a lot of times movies or novels only need to be experienced once.

I've worked on games in the past on the independent level, and I usually endeavored to compare what I was doing to chess, the king of games. If it would make chess less fun, if it seems like it would make people not play chess as often, then it's probably not a good idea if you're trying to make a true game as opposed to a "pseudo-interactive film experience."

It's just my opinion, but it's an opinion that stands up to inspection. I think it's something people should consider, and I think Kojima also understands my opinion (and shares it) in his own way.

Reactions: 1 person

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If the game doesn't have a story, it's really not worth playing unless it's a puzzle or simulation game.
What a daft thing to say. You're essentially counting out pretty much every platformer (which don't have much stories beyond save the princess, etc.), rhythm games, the vast majority of Nintendo games and more.

Hence why so many games are shallow and uninteresting these days. If it doesn't have a story, what's the point in making an action game of any sort?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this is him being described +1