• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Kiwi Farms is finally no more. Cloudflare, hCaptcha and DDoS-Guard dropped support for the website

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cris1997XX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
At this point I assume City just hasn't taken his meds in a long time, otherwise I can't explain his messages lmao

City

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
City, please quit posting just to be mad.
🤡
Look man, if that's how you read it, then I completely understand how I came across as a retard to you. But really my only point stands, I don't think shutting down this website doesn't stop these awful people from the awful things that they do.
According to your "logic", we should give these people a space to recruit more potential school shooters.

At this point I assume City just hasn't taken his meds in a long time, otherwise I can't explain his messages lmao
Judging by your other posts, it's clear that you lack the fundamental ability to understand the English language properly.

• Haha
Reactions: Cris1997XX

Cris1997XX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
🤡

According to your "logic", we should give these people a space to recruit more potential school shooters.

Judging by your other posts, it's clear that you lack the fundamental ability to understand the English language properly.
IT'S THE CLOWN (PART 2)!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sombrerosonic

Idiot machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mqdefault.jpg

MODS PLEASE LET ME DELETE MY OWN POSTS I BEG YOU

THERES MORE?!?!

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope, I've reiterated twice now that I don't have the proper solution here, just that shutting down the website only slows things down at best. Again, I don't know if there is a proper ethical solution here, but that is truly what I'm interested in finding here.

Cris1997XX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Nope, I've reiterated twice now that I don't have the proper solution here, just that shutting down the website only slows things down at best. Again, I don't know if there is a proper ethical solution here, but that is truly what I'm interested in finding here.
I'd say you should just give up on him, any attempts at reasoning are useless

Reactions: MikaDubbz

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not a victim. You're nothing to me, to anyone. Go crawl back in your hole and let the adults talk.
Don't listen to them @Cris1997XX you seem like a solid dude, I'm glad we can at least partake in a mature discourse where even if we don't completely agree, we can respect each other's opinions. Likewise @LainaGabranth

City

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Don't listen to them @Cris1997XX you seem like a solid dude, I'm glad we can at least partake in a mature discourse where even if we don't completely agree, we can respect each other's opinions
Coming from an alleged 35yo who believes that hiding hate websites is useless. I'm sure your opinion isn't worthless.

• Haha

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Coming from an alleged 35yo who believes that hiding hate websites is useless. I'm sure your opinion isn't worthless.
It's useless if the goal is to end hate. Absolutely. Cuz guess what existed for ages before the internet? Hate.

Cris1997XX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Don't listen to them @Cris1997XX you seem like a solid dude, I'm glad we can at least partake in a mature discourse where even if we don't completely agree, we can respect each other's opinions
Yeah, I'm glad there's still people with a brain on the internet (Unlike a certain someone...). Respecting each other's opinions and not going overboard is the first step for a decent conversation that won't turn into a shitpost

City

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's useless if the goal is to end hate. Absolutely.
At this point it's obvious that you're just a troll account.

Like, it was stated multiple times, by multiple people, that the "goal" is to cut down the amount of viewers to avoid more followers.

Cris1997XX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

Like, it was stated multiple times, by multiple people, that the "goal" is to cut down the amount of viewers to avoid more followers.
You're the troll account here, stop bullshitting and make an actual argument for once

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

And you clearly haven't been reading my opinion from the start and recognizing where my opinion on this matter comes from. Again, I recognize this slows shit down, absolutely, but it solves nothing beyond that.

LainaGabranth

Objectively the most infuriating woman ever
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can appreciate where you're coming from. Again I don't want to take away anyone's victories here. I feel a lot of hostility (not just from you) when I'm just sharing my genuine opinion on what this website shutdown truly means. I want kiwifarms being shut down to solve everything in this regard, but I know that would be the incorrect takeaway for sure. I like that this has slowed things down, that is certainly a good thing to see. But again, I want to find that actual solution to the bigger problem here. Kiwifarms was just a symptom of the actual problem here not the true issue for what it actually is.
This post is gonna be a fuckin doozy. If you're not in the mood or headspace to read a lot of shit about mental illness, incels, and online neo-nazis I would recommend just holding your scroll wheel and going down like (mom joke here).

If we look at this from a sociological perspective you would likely be turning society upside down (in my eyes, it'd be a good thing) to solve the ills plaguing people that use the site in the first place. Social ostracization, radicalization, even fucking menial stuff like lack of support groups for autistic males (See Sigma male communities, like those around Andrew Tate.) can contribute to the kind of people who post there. Like I said, I've used 8chan for quite some time so I have quite a lot of experience with the kind of people who'd come to those boards to post radical shit, and had a lot of conversations with them.

Hell, here's a peak example.

8ig1dzufj3x41.gif

This image may have no meaning to you. It may have some meaning purely because you recognize Protoman's helmet and Stu Pickles.

This image, however, has a different meaning to me. Because back in the day, a good ten or so years ago in the pre-gamergate days, back when Wojak was known as "feels guy," people would post this image around 4 AM EST, and create what we know, extremely creatively, as "4 am threads." These threads were rife with people talking about their feelings, their listlessness, and general fear of the world at large. You may likely have seen the conclusion to such views in the form of "Doomers," or this shit.

View attachment 326972

I'm way off track, but trust me when I say this is all going somewhere.

There is a very significant contingent of users on 4chan who feel like they're hopeless, with nowhere to go, with many staying up late just to post in those 4 AM threads for reaffirmation and to mutually link their experiences with one another. The problem is, these people have fallen into a vicious cycle of self-loathing, and as the Germans call it, "purposeful pessimism," seeking only to see the worst in all society. Normally, on their own? These groups are harmless, outside of the obviously high self-harm and suicide rates in these groups.

However, KiwiFarms is but one place that they end up in when radicalized. There were plenty of other sites dedicated to organizing hate campaigns, stalking, and harassment, but KiwiFarms was probably one of the biggest, regularly going after some of the most mundane people, like game modders, writers, random fucking webcomic artists, and so on. See, the thing with the broken people on 4chan back in the day (or 8chan now) is that they're very easy to radicalize if you give them one thing: A purpose.

It's been well documented that radicalization groups and campaigns regularly target these kind of broken people, who feel lost in the world, or that no one will love them, or that the world as a whole isn't sustainable and that they're just living day to day. Imagine if you, someone clamoring for respect when you can't even give yourself any, are told by someone that you can be given value, and a place in the world, with the only price being that you need to speak out against the "ills of society."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech...-harness-troll-army-world-warcraft/489713001/

"Green postulates that Bannon's time at IGE was "one that introduced him to a hidden world, burrowed deep into his psyche, and provided a kind of conceptual framework that he would later draw on to build up the audience for Breitbart News, and then to help marshal the online armies of trolls and activists that overran national politicians and helped give rise to Donald Trump," Green writes."

The article doesn't go into detail enough for my liking, but if you'd like to read up on the kind of rhetoric Milo Yannopoulos, another person who worked closely with Bannon to radicalize a lot of younger males, you can find examples of it (as well as arguments against it) in this video.

There are a lot of people online who are ultimately left behind by the nature of the modern world, either because they aren't making enough to live comfortably, their work/social balance is shit, or that they don't see any real place for them to go in a dead end job. Whatever the root problem is, I can't tell you without getting into my personal philosophy and opinions on the matter. What I can tell you however is that these people have been astroturf'd to hell and back by psychotic people to be psychologically abused time and time again into believing extremist positions, and KiwiFarms is as you said, a symptom of that problem at large.

To conclude this fucking unnecessary-length rant, what I am trying to say in all of this is that the problems that create KiwiFarms go much, much deeper than we can truly assess, and working to solve them at their core would likely see a lot of things being changed, but on the flip side there are also a lot of baby steps we can make that would see immediate results. Minimum wage raises, better health care, better social programs and support groups for the ostracized and radicalized (or about-to-be-radicalized), and so on and so forth.

The point I intend to make in all of this is that the problems that KiwiFarms represents need bigger social solutions that ultimately help people out of these holes they've dug themselves into, and blocking the sites out and deplatforming them are steps in the right direction, because the people organizing them also want to make these changes to society at large. For that reason, I think it's good to support them and hear their arguments on a better structuring for society as a whole, because in the end we'll all benefit from social support programs and the like, more than just KF users and other delusional depressed people with axes to grind against the world would alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
    Karma177 @ Karma177: @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really...