Hacking Kingston Microsd Japan vs Taiwan

OSW

Wii King
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
i keep hearing that kingstons made in japan are better than the taiwan ones, but can someone clear this up finally for me. In what way? Is there really that much difference in quality/performance? any taiwan users care to voice their opinion.

This is important to me as i plan to buy a taiwan one.

GameGeezer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i keep hearing that kingstons made in japan are better than the taiwan ones, but can someone clear this up finally for me. In what way? Is there really that much difference in quality/performance? any taiwan users care to voice their opinion.

This is important to me as i plan to buy a taiwan one.

I have two kingston/taiwan cards. Apparently they run everything but castlevania and tony hawk downhill fine. Everything else I have tried ran perfectly. I've tried 40+ games. I haven't had any problems with mp3's or video's thus far either. I have a g-6 in slot 2 to play the games that may have issues with microsd cards. So unless you are in love with Tony Hawk or Castlvania I would not worry about it. The only concern by some is what will happen when the supersized games in the future come to the market.

OSW

Wii King
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Alright thanks for the responses. I hope it works out fine. I'm not desperate to play those problem games, but maybe in the future i'll look at buying a slot one solution (like g6 real) considering then i can use my current ez4 deluxe purely for gba and homebrew, which generally load into the inbuilt ram so the card shouldn't be a problem.

But until then (who knows how long) i hope this card will be satisfactory for my nds playing (getting one tommorow).

Propionation

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about the chinese Kingston micro sd cards? Any problems / difference with those ?
None of Kingston's micro sd cards are manufactured in China meaning there are no chinese Kingston micro sd cards. Unless you consider Taiwan a part of China.
rofl2.gif

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have both a Taiwanese and a Japanese card.

The Taiwanese card constantly locks up on Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin.
The Japanese card plays that game perfectly.

Also, I format both FAT16 64k cluster and here is the final formatted size for each card:
Japanese - 982MB
Taiwanese - 952MB.

The Taiwan made card is 30 megs LESS than the Japanese one!

OSW

Wii King
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
ah ic. I ended up not buying one, i'm thinking of going with the sandisk ultra II microsd as i had that b4 and it worked fine, BUT, does anyone know if there is a japan version of that card too? And if so is there the same kind of difference?

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sandisks are all from Taiwan, so you should try get those (though I've heard some people getting China cards, shouldn't be much of a difference because of *reply above*)

2cb2ct7

Trophies
XP
Country
I have both a Taiwanese and a Japanese card.

The Taiwanese card constantly locks up on Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin.
The Japanese card plays that game perfectly.

Also, I format both FAT16 64k cluster and here is the final formatted size for each card:
Japanese - 982MB
Taiwanese - 952MB.

The Taiwan made card is 30 megs LESS than the Japanese one!

How exactly do you specify a format, ie, fat16, 64k clusters? Are these options available in the windows xp format menu or do I need a particular program?

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sandisks are all from Taiwan, so you should try get those (though I've heard some people getting China cards, shouldn't be much of a difference because of *reply above*)
No. No. No.
While it's true that all SanDisks are the same, made in the same place, they also suck, except for the overpriced Sandisk Ultra II. A Kingston JP is the same as a Toshiba, which should really be your first choice.

OSW

Wii King
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
bugger.

from what i can tell, there is a code which should tell you if it made in japan or taiwan. also japanese ones are more expensive (Unless shops jack up the taiwan prices).

i don't know it off the top of my head right now though. also no-one forget my post b4.

Arkansaw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
It's funny...I just spent an afternoon combing the local IT mall for this damn flash memory card. All the top stalls dedicated to pc parts either have it sold out or they only had the Taiwan version, except maybe for one or two (that had the card and as the Japan version) but at exhorbitant prices like ~$50. The only good thing was that I get to see the stuff physically before buying.

....in the end I got it from the bottom lvls, a shop dealing with phone peripherals, $25 is still a little overpriced by local standards but I have had enough combing for the day
wink2.gif

And yes, if you don't trust the back of the packaging (which states the location of assembly), the front of the memory card itself states Japan/Taiwan (I've seen so many of these in one day.. can't possibily forget!), unless they actually tampered with it
wink2.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work