Hacking Kingston Microsd Japan vs Taiwan

zesta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's the difference between SDC/1GBKR (Japan) and SDC/1G (Japan)?

Nothing that I can tell, other than the UPC is different. The cards always say SDC/1GB on them.

I have a SDC/1GBKR which was Japan, and I have one that is SDC/1GB that is Japan. It has the same UPC as my Taiwan card that I exchanged with Kingston to get the better Japan card.

I have no idea why they have the different UPCs and different cards, yet they are all interchangable from their point of view. It is a terrible disservice to the consumer, as there are 2 completely different items sold under the same name, and you have no idea what you are getting when you order.

Emu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's the difference between SDC/1GBKR (Japan) and SDC/1G (Japan)?

Nothing that I can tell, other than the UPC is different. The cards always say SDC/1GB on them.

I have a SDC/1GBKR which was Japan, and I have one that is SDC/1GB that is Japan. It has the same UPC as my Taiwan card that I exchanged with Kingston to get the better Japan card.

I have no idea why they have the different UPCs and different cards, yet they are all interchangable from their point of view. It is a terrible disservice to the consumer, as there are 2 completely different items sold under the same name, and you have no idea what you are getting when you order.

Just got my 1 gig Kingston MicroSD and it says made in Taiwan but guess what! It's SDC/1GB, so i'm thinking the codes don't really help..If the code meant anything mine would say made in Japan. But how did you trade your kingston card in for a japanese one?

Sinkhead

yay p1ngpong.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you bought it from an internet shop and the picture showed a made in Japan one you should reply back to the seller saying he has not sold you what was in the picture and you will send the card back to him/her for a refund. Suggest they change the picture so it's not misleading. Also say that if they do not refund your money you will complain about them to eBay.

- Sam

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you bought it from an internet shop and the picture showed a made in Japan one you should reply back to the seller saying he has not sold you what was in the picture and you will send the card back to him/her for a refund. Suggest they change the picture so it's not misleading. Also say that if they do not refund your money you will complain about them to eBay.

- Sam

Tried it, and doesn't work. Most eBay sellers provide stock pictures of their cards, but either black out the part where it says Japan, or just make it really blurry. The reply I got after providing a complaint was that there was no reason he could refund it, as the product was still, indeed, genuine. Ended up selling it back on eBay and lost 5 dollars
frown.gif

C

cheech1

Wow...Speaking of these card's (micro SD's) I was so happy that I ordered the kingston 1gb's off of meritline.com last week ($10 each free ship + $15 paypal rebate) I bought six of them for my DS lite's and cell phone's ...I just assumed they'd be the taiwan ones....but got them in the mail today and to my suprise they're all the Japan ones !!!
smile.gif

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I just got my two made in japan micro sd cards and I can say that I am fully impressed, especially for the price. Who knew that you would be able to store a full GIGABYTE of games on a flash device for under $70 one day with little to no issues?

Anyway back on topic, I own two Japan Kingstons and 1 Taiwan Kingston. Should I try to RMA the Taiwan one? It just has problems in PoR.

Also I prefer Sandisk most of the time, but these come with lifetime warranty plus would probably cost $.39 to RMA if you ever had to.

strummer12

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I bought a kingston 1GB micro SD tonight at Best Buy in Canada. It has Japan on the cart and a sticker on the back that says "assembled in Japan" So hopefully I am good to go without errors. I can't test it since I do not have my M3 yet that I ordered.

-KangaRod-

Trophies
Website
kangarod.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Canada
is it true all toshiba's are made in Japan?
I've got an 1 gig ADP which was advertised at 12Mb/sec which says made in TWN on the back. I use that in my EZFlash V. I've also got a 1 gig Sandisc which says made in Taiwan on it. I use that in my EzFlash IV. I've never noticed any difference between the two, other than sometimes Metroid slows down in Nesticle on my GBA and sometimes games just straight up don't load from the Slot 1 slot.

Sinkhead

yay p1ngpong.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

- Sam

Tried it, and doesn't work. Most eBay sellers provide stock pictures of their cards, but either black out the part where it says Japan, or just make it really blurry. The reply I got after providing a complaint was that there was no reason he could refund it, as the product was still, indeed, genuine. Ended up selling it back on eBay and lost 5 dollars
frown.gif

Whether it's genuine or not is not the problem. The problem is that you have been given a different item to what the picture described.

- Sam

-KangaRod-

Trophies
Website
kangarod.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Canada
Whether it's genuine or not is not the problem. The problem is that you have been given a different item to what the picture described.

- Sam
I have to agree if the Japanese made ones have a different UPC code; then it is infact a different product. You should've just sent it back and taken it up with PayPal, or Ebay. I know thats what I'd do; especially if the seller was being a dick about it.

onneeye

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I order 4 kingston SDC/1GBKR ($9.99) from newegg and got them friday. All of them are made from japan.
rofl2.gif
I don't know if I got lucky or not.

I also got the 2gb Patriot for my M3 Simply. No prolblems at all. Both Castlevania intro runs smooth.

TLSpartan

Kills threads
Trophies
XP
Country
im gettin a 1gb kingston on sunday and the other soonish. japanese stuff is always better remember the quote from back to the future 1 "all the best stuff is made in japan"

perry753

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought about 15 1gb miscrosd kingston cards in a time frame of about 2 weeks. All were ordered from newegg and I made sure I got the "SDC/1GBKR" model.

ALL are made from japan! The reviews from the newegg site confirms it since people have reported to get japanese versions also.

I'd say if you live in the US, order the SDC/1GBKR model from newegg.com and I could 99.9% guarantee you will get a japanese version.

btw I can take pics of the cards also.
rolleyes.gif

good luck

cheekydollar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok - can i Just clarify something...

If I get a Toshiba branded card - it will definatley be Japan version.

If I get Kingston it could be Jap or Taiwan

Why doesnt everyone just get Toshiba branded as they are about the same price as kingston??

If my above statements are correct - does anyone know the cheapest place for Toshiba 1GB card?

Also - I just got a Sandisk 1GB - but i cant find the read/write speeds anywhere - is this card any good??

StuKeeler

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Also - I just got a Sandisk 1GB - but i cant find the read/write speeds anywhere - is this card any good??

I've got the Sandisk 1GB (Taiwan). I've not tried to play the problem games (i.e Castlevania POR & Tony Hawks), but can confirm I've had no problems with any other game I have tried.

I found these comparative speed tests... Test Results, which although actual quoted speeds may vary per computer/reader setup, at least this shows a comparrison between cards and how one performs against another under similar conditions.

The Kingston appears to only show a small advantage in read speed over the Sandisk, but it is obviously enough to solve the slowdown issues, perhaps it's more to do with internal structure.
The Transcend looks to have an amazing read speed, but there is a sacrifice with slow erase and write speeds (meaning games may run flawlessly but saving and file maintanence on your PC will take a fraction longer), however it received very strong negative feedback in the R4 compatibility list!

If my above statements are correct - does anyone know the cheapest place for Toshiba 1GB card?
Cheapest I've seen a Toshiba 1GB is My Memory, at £12.94, much better to get a cheap Kingston from a supplier you can confirm stocking Japanese ones!

cheekydollar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks Stu - that has restored some confidence in my memory choice!

My SD card arrived yesterday and my R4 has just been shipped by dealextreme - cant wait !

TLSpartan

Kills threads
Trophies
XP
Country
japenese kingstons say SD-C01G heres proof(its my japanese one) this is how to confirm there japanese
Kingston.jpg
. hope this clears how to identify between japanese and taiwanese ones

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."