Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Hello kids, I see you've brought up television. Now if you have some time, sit down and listen to my dissertation on--hey wait where are you going? Get back on my lawn and listen up!!!!

Ever since the inception of television, it tried to push the boundaries at the time. The inter racial marriage of Lucy and Ricky in I Love Lucy was a big deal. Seeing a Cuban guy on TV, and on what is easily one of the best TV shows of all time, helped "normalize" Cubans to the audience of 50s era white adults who would be madly racist by our standards. It also brought up the topic of pregnancy which was pretty much heresy for the culture at the time.

Dragnet and such similar police focused helped humanize cops to two different generations: the older one that had seen cops be dirty and on the take from the mob, and the younger kids of the era who were shown via TV that police are good guys, they protect us, they'd never steer you wrong. It brings up the whole subject of TV and propaganda which is a topic for another time.

That boundary pushing continued well into the 70s with All in the Family and it's many spinoffs. Maude discussed abortion, All in the Family dealt with how we see racism and bigotry in the average American life, and Jeffersons and Good Times gave a voice, even if tropey and stereotypical, to black Americans, shortly after the Civil rights movement.

It continues like that until you get to the latter half of the 90s and beginning of the 2000s, because that's where internet factors in. Internet becomes the new way to show the trends of culture and general beliefs of a generation. People begin to splinter off from shared experiences via TV.

You've still got the raw grit of the Sopranos, reflection of turmoil and depression in Bojack, etc etc etc. TV is still good. It hasn't magically become bad, but now you have to hunt it out. Good TV doesn't appear over your main channels of NBC and ABC and whatever, it's all HBO and Netflix, because the over the air shows are tripe like Two Broke Girls and young Sheldon and it's mindless. It does nothing. It says nothing. Thoughtless. Its comedy forced for the sake of comedy. Please laugh. Pleade. We included a laugh track ha ha its funny please laugh.

Then you've got shows that just won't die like the Simpsons and so you think you can dance, and the bachelor, and so much trashy reality Tv, which also factored into this downfall.

Tldr TV is still good today but you're never going to see anything good by actually watching your TV.

THANKS FOR READING

D

Deleted User

Even the ones making rap polls in EOF are doing more than me.

However I'm beating a shitload of video games lately. That's something.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Dr. What is Lil Jon as a Doctor . who happens to be the best Doctor in Eastside hospital.

only 90's kids will understand this joke.

Chappelle was early 2000s, 90s kids should not have watched that show as they'd be very young. C'mon man.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Anybody here have a Xbox series S and a series X, is the performance difference noticeable? I...