Status
Not open for further replies.

Kickass Torrents shut down by US government

kickasstorrents_500x500-300x300.png

Copyright holders rejoice! The largest torrent site on earth has been taken down by the US government a few days back. After posing as an advertiser they managed to trace the money back to a Ukrainian guy, Artem Vaulin. It's quite the story really, check out the full article here.

What do you think is going to happen now? Is this a hard blow to piracy or are most people just going to use another site? Will there always be another site to take the lead? Discuss.

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have vuze configured to to spoof my IP over tor, but that only works for the trackers themselves. That way trackers don't log my real IP address, but it doesn't protect you against peers (tor doesn't work over UDP) but from what I understand I2P works fine with UDP (therefore peer connections). I also use a VPN and Peerblock just to be sure lol.

Ya that stinks, but I'm sure there are other torrent clients you could use that would support I2P

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have vuze configured to to spoof my IP over tor, but that only works for the trackers themselves. That way trackers don't log my real IP address, but it doesn't protect you against peers (tor doesn't work over UDP) but from what I understand I2P works fine with UDP (therefore peer connections). I also use a VPN and Peerblock just to be sure lol.

Ya that stinks, but I'm sure there are other torrent clients you could use that would support I2P
Perhaps but as I said before the interest of I2P is not just torrenting it is the actual network that is interesting. But in my mind a VPN and peerblock are two must haves and a VPN is still less than the cost of netflix.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you got a £15 a month service that does downloadable DRM free music, books, games, programs, TV, films and more of basically everything that is made, basically as soon as it is available to the general public?
I didn't know it was that inexpensive now. Last time I looked into Usenet was 5-10 years ago and it was upwards of 45 USD! Are the binary newsgroups being updated that frequently still? I know private trackers are getting slow with content, but with better protections, scene releases for anything but brand new movies (yuck) or music (double yuck) are getting to be more sparse. I think private trackers are next to last with the trickle-down from topsites anyway, with public trackers and direct download sites at the bottom.
On a different note... did kat host any of these files or were they just a tracker?
Just a tracker, but they had servers in the US, so they could be convicted for anything at any time for any reason.

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Perhaps but as I said before the interest of I2P is not just torrenting it is the actual network that is interesting. But in my mind a VPN and peerblock are two must haves and a VPN is still less than the cost of netflix.
I use tor to browse the deep web myself. I haven't checked out stuff on the I2P network tbh :P

kabloomz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't know it was that inexpensive now. Last time I looked into Usenet was 5-10 years ago and it was upwards of 45 USD! Are the binary newsgroups being updated that frequently still? I know private trackers are getting slow with content, but with better protections, scene releases for anything but brand new movies (yuck) or music (double yuck) are getting to be more sparse. I think private trackers are next to last with the trickle-down from topsites anyway, with public trackers and direct download sites at the bottom.

Just a tracker, but they had servers in the US, so they could be convicted for anything at any time for any reason.

NGs are alive and well. Right after topsites you have NGs and even IRC. Near the end you have private sites... right before public trackers and mega/direct downloads.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they are as cheap as $10 month now like giganews. than you just need a good tracker site nbz.is will get you started.

I imagine or at least certainly hope that most if not all of these usenet services are accepting cryptocurrency, such as BTC etc. Otherwise if they ever get raided, all the users are f***** as the service will have logs of everyones card info etc, not good.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Thats why we have anti virus software kids.

That only gets you so far, when every other thing you download on those old networks are infected :P. Idk i personally abandoned Gnutella, Emule etc ages ago...

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That only gets you so far, when every other thing you download on those old networks are infected :P. Idk i personally abandoned Gnutella, Emule etc ages ago...
Do you use retroshare, freenet, or gnunet?

Which is why I said if you know the right people. It's not difficult to compare hashes for game cracks with pre databases for scene/P2P RIPs.
Yup plus it can be worth it due to the security.

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they will never shut usenet down :P

I know i'm just saying that I hope this services are allowing payment via cryptocurrency and not just credit cards XD

Do you use retroshare, freenet, or gnunet?

Yup plus it can be worth it due to the security.

No I know, i've heard of freenet, haven't delved into it though. As for gnunet, are you referring to the gnutella network? I used that ages ago...

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know i'm just saying that I hope this services are allowing payment via cryptocurrency and not just credit cards XD

No I know, i've heard of freenet, haven't delved into it though. As for gnunet, are you referring to the gnutella network? I used that ages ago...
No gnutella and gnu net are different technically and gnu net is actually part of the gnu project.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: its the emote but ridiculously small