Hacking Kaidomain dropped Wiikey price to $11 shipped

mustnap

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thats what firmware is. If you use the exact firmware on the exact same chip, there won't be any differences. So most likely, the WiiKey team is using scare tactics. There may be some chip on the wiikey for protection purposes, for example, the wiikey team could make the firmware check for "something" on the protection chip, and if the check returns negative, it wouldn't start. But stuff like security checks can be removed from the firmware, or be made to always return a yes. So I'm sure its highly likely that the WiiKey clones wouldn't function any more or less effectively than the original.

then, that is a bad news for all of us Wiikey users (clones or not). If the wiikey team found out that the clones are outselling the original ones (if this happens), than they will be less interested in improving it/releasing updates (no profits = no incentives). They might just create a new modchip that is superior and harder to be cloned.

We will just have to wait and see what will happen.

tilbury

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
lets face facts, if you are in the industry of hacking things and opening up exploites, you must come to expect someone to do the same to you???????

panther_512

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
Has anyone tried these cheap Wiikeys?

What you must understand everyone here is that Wiikey consists of an ATMEGA8L, one resistor and 2 capacitors. It's the same with Chiip and Wiip.

Now, it's extremely easy to load Chiip's or OpenWii's firmware into the clone Wiikey and sell it as authentic.

It will play all your backups, but you won't be able to upgrade the chip via DVD.

Now, it's not that easy to dump Wiikey's code. ATMEGAs are new generation microcontrollers and use a lot of Lock Fuses.

I bet my money that clone Wiikeys have inside them other code, but if you buy a clone Wiikey you can reprogram it by building the Chiip's programmer. It will cost you about 5 bucks.

Then you can load Chiip's or OpenWii's latest firmware or, if Wiikey's code gets released, the authentic Wiikey code.

jon-t

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Even if upgrades dosent work, is there even gonna be an big update? A drivechip cant do a lot more, if any more than wiikey currently do. The only thing we might gonna need the updates are if the big n find a way to change the mediacodes or something. I dont think that will happen...

xiaNaix

Trophies
Website
xiaNaix.net
XP
Country
United States
It is no rumor that the Wiikey team will attempt to block clone chips from being updated. They have stated this right on the official website. I have spoken with them personally about this as well. If you purchase a clone chip, it will probably not work with any future updates.

gaboumafou

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I will probably buy one for my friend and one for me (I still don't have a Wii, but it's probably the lowest price a chip will ever be so I will buy it!
tongue.gif
). I read that even if this is a "clone", the updates will work. Is it true?

...And they ship to Canada, right?

...And which site would you recommend since it's the same price: Dealexteme or Kaidomain?

Thanks in advance!
biggrin.gif

Bloodgod

嵐の王
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
like Sick Wario said "that deal is too good to say no to, even if it is a clone!!" Hopefully it doesn't mess up my Wii. I'll post pic when I get mine

airrich

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i ordered it from dx on 3-13, back when it was said to be real. til this day, i still have yet to receive it. i emailed them for a refund and decided to order from eurasia instead. placed the order with eurasia on 3-23 and i received it today, just 4 days later
biggrin.gif

DRACO

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i got mine from modchipstore today damn 46.90 is expensive i hope the ones from kai r real cuae ima open up a local mod shop if they are

Little

I r Little
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I bought my R4 from DX and it took ages to get here, So imma give Kai domain a go.

My thoughts are that Kaidomain/DX bought loads of Wiikey from some distributor or another, thinking they were real. Now loads of their customers turn around and say wtf, these are fake. So Kaidomain/DX are like ah shit, we've got a whole bunch of fake wiikeys. So they drop the price, and play the ambiguity card about what the heck they really are.

Regardless, I'm still going to get one! Theres someone in my area offering a chipping service for £50... in which they provide the chip and delivery back to you. I'm seeing what kind of price I can get for me providing the chip, and me picking it back up =)

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I just placed an order......I figured for that price you can't go wrong, even if in a few months a better mod chip will come around, I will not feel too bad to have wasted money on this, when it will be eventually end up in the garbage bin.
But it will definitely fix my gaming needs for now.
Did anybody receive it yet from Kaidomain ? How long did it take roughly ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: