Hacking Just picked up a used N3DSXL, what steps to take to install CFW and transfer from my old 3DS?

TEKNOSYSTEKWRX

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I installed CFW on my wife's original 3DSXL around a year or so ago. Lately I've been playing a lot of games on it myself, so I figured I'd get my own system. I enjoy using the 3D function, so I figured the New 3DS XL was the model to get. Found one today and I'm not sure the best way to hack it and transfer all my games and saves.

I figure I should do a factory reset on the new one, then follow the guide to install CFW. I'm not sure what to do next. Does the built in Nintendo transfer tool work with CFW? I would just set it up fresh and re-load everything, then re-store my saves using Checkpoint, but unfortunately I don't have the CIA files so I'd have to track them all down one at a time. Most of the games loaded on the old 3DS where downloaded and installed using the old "FS" service. But if I do have to find new copies of the .cia file to install, will my saves backed up with Checkpoint be compatible? Do the saves care if they are for a downloaded CIA file, or an actual cartridge? Does it just look for the correct game ID or something?

What do you guys suggest? Also, I will be using a new SD card in the N3DSXL and not using the one from the old 3DS (will take this time to upgrade to a bigger one. Any issues with that?)

I just noticed the official FW on the new one is 11.9.0-42U. I haven't been keeping up with the recent scene, but I assume I'll still be able to install CFW? Anything I need to watch out for?
THANKS!

TEKNOSYSTEKWRX

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
OK, so I should do the system transfer before installing CFW on the new? I wouldn't have thought to do it that way, so I'm glad I'm asking here first :D Do I need to do a factory reset on the new one first before I start the transfer, or does the transfer automatically take care of that? I see wifi settings and stuff from the previous owner (but no games or software)
Should I put in the new larger sd card beforehand as well?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: to make a Hanna barbera shared cinematic universe