Hacking Just Installed Switch To My Wii :) (wiikey)

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
FoulPlay said:
Which switch is it?

[url=http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Module...tch&doy=9m3]http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Module...tch&doy=9m3[/url] - This one?
[url=http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?Module...oy=9m3#overview]http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?Module...oy=9m3#overview[/url] - Or this one?

I'm in need of a switch and I want the same kind of structure you have, you idea is very very creative and would work splendidly.

Wow. If you don't know how to find a simple switch, how did you install a modchip? Either one would work, but 4 poles aren't needed. And seriously, step outside and buy one.

Posts merged

Woo, meger.

By the way, both those switches are overkill for what you need.

FoulPlay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was meaning more of the fact that I wanted the design like his, notice how his just barely fits? I don't want to have to fidgit with the wires of the switch. I'm getting my modder to install it.

And I asked him a question, so I don't see the need in your post, considering the fact I was asking him for a SPECIFIC reason.

Defiance

oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How hard is it to install a switch? I mean, where do you keep it while soldering? If you hold it you could burn your hand...

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
wtf.gif
. If you have to ask that , don't even think about , just step away from the wii now.

Defiance

oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol I'm just wondering. I never had the intention of installing a switch in the first place.

link459

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's a switch to turn the wiikey on and off...

So that if Wiikey team never releases an update, you can just turn the Wiikey off and enjoy Brawl.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
FoulPlay said:
I was meaning more of the fact that I wanted the design like his, notice how his just barely fits? I don't want to have to fidgit with the wires of the switch. I'm getting my modder to install it.

And I asked him a question, so I don't see the need in your post, considering the fact I was asking him for a SPECIFIC reason.

OK, I just assumed you would measure the size of an air hole against the diameter of the switch as stated on Maplin's site. Oh well.
For some useful information, use the Single pole Single throw switches. You don't need anything fancy.

ZeroUnderOne

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys I noticed something that is a bit off on that picture, aren't the ground and the 3.3v solder points (the blue block and the red block) on the wii board switched? There are two ground on the wii board, the red block and the big solder pad with no color that is on the left edge of the picture. Amirite?

In the picture with the wires, he has his wiikey ground set to the wii board ground (the top right most green wire). He has his 3.3v connected to a switch via a blue wire and the switch connected to an alternative 3.3v via another blue wire.

So you would want to solder a wire from the red block on the wiikey to the switch, then another from the switch to the blue block on the wii board. The blue block on the wiikey would be connected to the big solder pad on the right of the wii board pic. Please correct me if I am wrong.

tomqman

This Is Everyone's Fault But Mine.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ZeroUnderOne said:
Guys I noticed something that is a bit off on that picture, aren't the ground and the 3.3v solder points (the blue block and the red block) on the wii board switched? There are two ground on the wii board, the red block and the big solder pad with no color that is on the left edge of the picture. Amirite?

In the picture with the wires, he has his wiikey ground set to the wii board ground (the top right most green wire). He has his 3.3v connected to a switch via a blue wire and the switch connected to an alternative 3.3v via another blue wire.

So you would want to solder a wire from the red block on the wiikey to the switch, then another from the switch to the blue block on the wii board. The blue block on the wiikey would be connected to the big solder pad on the right of the wii board pic. Please correct me if I am wrong.
sorry about my wiikeys wiring all over the place i damaged all of the pads doing a quicksolder then some one walks into to the back i me and and i slip and pull the wiikey off lol. so had to wire it in differnt places

QUOTE(Kerman250 @ Mar 9 2008, 11:21 PM) So how much will this cost me for you to do it for me? Ill pay 20 US bucks for you to install the switch.
i would but your in america and im in the uk

mac26

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the pics. Did the exact same thing to mine and SSBB works like a champ. I like where you mounted the switch. Once again thanks a lot.

zpook

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Assuming this is the short wire method (not quick solder). Is this how you would do it for the old DMS chipset?

wiikey-nintendo-wii-board-zoom.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had that i don't think