just how region free is the ps4?

Discussion in 'PS4 - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by jefffisher, Jan 6, 2015.

1. jefffisher
    OP

jefffisher GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 17, 2006
    United States
    i'm going to be buying a ps4 in the near future and naturally i want one that looks awesome so i'd like to import from japan.

i know playing retail discs wont be a problem but does anyone have experience using the playstation network and playstation store on a japanese ps4 in their home country.

TLDR; buying a japanese ps4 and will be using american discs, will i be able to download updates and buy dlc with an american psn account?

2. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    If it's anything like the Vita, you'll have to get all your DLC and updates from the PSN region of the game. I think it's more a region code issue than necessarily a region lock.

3. BrightNeko

BrightNeko Popcorn ball

Dec 11, 2010
    United States
    Texas
    I've linked my JP account fine and have been using PSN plus with no problem with my american console. So it should work the other way around.

4. laudern

laudern GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 14, 2010
    Rural Queensland
    And I use my Australian ps4 in Australia with an American psn account which works fine (cheaper gaames).

5. Mario92

Mario92 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 20, 2010
    Finland
    Finland
    It's pretty much same to PS3. Games work directly and for DLC simply create/add new account from that region and you are able to buy them and play with main account.
    I guess only difference is that PS4 has to be set as primary one for all accounts but not entirely sure about that.

6. themperror

themperror GBAtemp Regular

Aug 12, 2009
    Netherlands
    If you buy a JPN game it'll only with with JPN DLC, so if you have the USA version, the JPN DLC won't work with it.. Other then that.. You can install games from all regions and no other locks apply (except for the actual store you log in with, you can't browse the JPN or USA store with an EU account, same with online play it's region bound)

7. shinkodachi

shinkodachi On permanent leave

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    Keep in mind, in addition to the DLC issue, Sony isn't enforcing a region lock on games though publishers still can opt in to implement a region lock. I don't want to believe a publisher would be stupid enough to do so, but the PS4 may face a Persona 4 Arena like situation at some point where a game from a different region simply won't work. There's like a 0,00001% chance of that happening, but it's one thing to keep in mind still.