RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
My M3i finally arrived, and I've done the steps of formatting the microSD, loading it with the F_Core.dat file, and inserting the USB power cable, but nothing seems to happen.
The guide says no LED = no power or finished, but my USB ports should certainly have power, no exception.
I haven't seen the LED once.

Anyway, at first the flashcart wouldn't appear in either my DSi or my DS Lite, but now all I get is a blank icon and a blank description when I try to load the flashcart.

Do I have a faulty unit, or am I doing something wrong?

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've been trying over and over, different USB ports, formatted the microSD twice, I even tried my laptop and I STILL don't get any flashing LED on my M3i.
I think I actually got a dud unit, crap.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
follow the information/guide in my M3i Zero review in my signature!
smile.gif

also try lightly cleaning the USB update cable contacts with a soft cloth DO NOT PULL AT THE CONTACTS you may break them just lightly clean them with a soft cloth or cuetip/cottonbud ... also blow in the tiny slot in the side of the card where the update cable fits see if this helps and retry the update
smile.gif

BlazerRazor

Trophies
XP
Country
Try formatting your card, and not just a quick format. It helped me... I wasn't able to flash it with the firmware (f_core.dat), but after the full format it worked.

Another option would be to try another SD card - would certainty try this.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
GamerOnHere said:
Buy m3i zeros from gamekool.com or dealextreme.com.

Oh sure, I'll keep that in mind when I ALREADY BOUGHT IT.
Gamezway.com is a GBAtemp trusted affiliate anyway...

QUOTE(BlazerRazor @ Aug 13 2009, 06:48 PM) Try formatting your card, and not just a quick format. It helped me... I wasn't able to flash it with the firmware (f_core.dat), but after the full format it worked.

Another option would be to try another SD card - would certainty try this.
Ah, a full format and not a quick format did the trick huh?
I'll give that a try, I got plenty of spare microSDs I can use too.

fuze9

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh man.. good luck with Gamezway.. I bought an R4i a month or so from them, and it was also a complete dud. I'm still struggling to get any money back from them at all. Prepare for a real uphill battle. I have no idea why GBAtemp promotes them at all.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Tried again, the card still doesn't do anything.
Used a different microSD that was full formatted too, geez, it has to be a dud.

fuze9, sounds like you've had a rough time with Gamezway, I hope I don't. :\

PettingZoo

yesss
Trophies
Website
iancoulton.com
XP
Country
I guess these M3i0's were a bad batch, though alot of cards have bad batches (Sometimes when starting out, *cough*Cyclo*cough*). I guess if you can get it working then that is great, though really try to get another cart/refund.

vergilite

GBATemps Regular Clown
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
RupeeClock said:
I'm going to try for a refund, I really want an M3i now, so I've ordered one from Gamekool.

bustedm3izero.jpg

That, that ain't right...

GOOD choice i went with gamekool and got mine in 3-4 days service eas amazing i really think gbatemp should have them as sponsors instead of gamezway

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yup, Gamekool already shipped my order, so hopefully I won't have to wait 8 days this time.
3-5 days shipping my ass, although this one is being posted by EMS mail too.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DeltaBurnt said:
It could be that the m3i can only draw power from USB2 ports and not USB and USB2. All computers from the 21st century should have a USB2 port though.

So it might explain your problem if you have a really old computer...
My computer is only a year and a half old, my laptop less than a year.
I really, don't think that's the problem.

Actually that makes me ask, the USB cable is NOT data transfer is it? It's purely power supply that instructs the M3i Zero to write F_Core.dat to the flash isn't it?

GamerOnHere

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Actually that makes me ask, the USB cable is NOT data transfer is it? It's purely power supply that instructs the M3i Zero to write F_Core.dat to the flash isn't it?
Yes. The USB Cable only gives power. The M3i Zero already knows it should flash F_CORE.DAT to itself. The fact that it is a USB is just a coincidence.

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:
DeltaBurnt said:
It could be that the m3i can only draw power from USB2 ports and not USB and USB2. All computers from the 21st century should have a USB2 port though.

So it might explain your problem if you have a really old computer...
My computer is only a year and a half old, my laptop less than a year.
I really, don't think that's the problem.

That is correct, but alot of things use USB ports as power. Really what made me mention the whole USB2 port thing was that an ipod touch doesn't need to be hooked up to a computer to charge you can plug it into a PS3, printer, or anything as long as it's a fully charged USB2 port.

GamerOnHere said:
Yes. The USB Cable only gives power. The M3i Zero already knows it should flash F_CORE.DAT to itself. The fact that it is a USB is just a coincidence.

Well I wouldn't call it coincidence since alot of things use USB to charge and they do because USB is the most convenient type of port for a computer. So instead of thinking of it as a USB is mainly for transfer and it's a coincidence that in this case it uses it for power you should think of it as it's a USB port that has multiple purposes and the m3i uses the USB port for power and not transfer or data.

Sorry, I know that wasn't needed I'm just bored and felt like typing extra words >.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So, bumping this old topic here for a good reason.

I received a new M3i Zero in the mail from Gamekool.com, and the power-cable worked just fine on both of my cards.
I received either a faulty cable in the last package, or I accidentally damaged it.
So there we go, I now have two working cards.
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Yesterday I learned my BD Burner drive can burn CD's at 56X lol