just got an original xbox

Discussion in 'Microsoft Xbox' started by pizzaman2893, Feb 23, 2008.

Feb 23, 2008

just got an original xbox by pizzaman2893 at 8:56 PM (7,022 Views / 0 Likes) 67 replies

1. pizzaman2893
    OP

Member pizzaman2893 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I just got it and I want to play burned games on it, but do I have to mod it? And if I do, how?

2. Tomobobo

Member Tomobobo Champion.

United States
    There's a few ways to mod the console, but the easiest way for a noob require's another modded xbox, or an action replay with the ability to link a memory card to a computer.

Check xbox-scene.com in the tutorials section for more detailed instructions on this "softmod".

3. Agjsdfd

Member Agjsdfd My title

Just softmod your xbox.
    But as Tomobobo said read some guides on xbox-scene.com

Softmodding is easy, and all you need is: Action Replay, 8MB Memory Card and one of those 3 games:
    Splinter Cell(I prefer, because all versions of Splinter Cell 1 works(classic+platinum). => Not Splinter Cell Chaos Theory or Pandora Tomorrow.
    Mech Assault (Not platinum hit and not mech assault 2)
    007 Agent under fire(Not platinum hit).

So if you have any question just ask. I would go for Splinter Cell, its the cheapest to get(well if you already have one of the other mentioned game, you could just use that one)

edit:
    By the way: Instead of Action Replay, you can just use Gameshark or Xploder. Or you could make your own USB thingy(whatever its called, it lets you transfer file from PC through your controller, requires cutting and soldering => I think.)

4. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    Hotswapping is equally as easy, and you don't need any extra hardware. Just a PC and your xbox.

5. cracker

Member cracker Nyah!

United States
    As Kamui101 said you can make an XBOX controller cable -> USB cable and use a flash drive (many will work) to transfer the save exploit onto the XBOX. It is very simple to make one. You don't even to buy an extra cable, just a USB extension cable if you don't already have one. It has the added bonuses of giving you 2 1/2 or so feet of extension on your controller and letting you hook up your XBOX controller to your PC too. [​IMG] If you don't have the soldering material or don't have the skills then you can buy a cable online. Here are the tutorials on how to do it.

6. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    If you're hoping to take "that" route... Xbox games are significantly tougher to find on P2P than PS2, Japanese titles in particular. PAL ones tend to be more common than US also.

7. martin88

Member martin88 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Maybe on P2P, but on Usenet Xbox games are the easiest to find compared to PS2.

Especially when using the channel #alt.binaries.games.xbox, I have gotten many games by requesting it in the channel.

8. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    does anyone know where i can get a data cable for a memory card so i can transfer stuff from my pc to the xbox? i don't have soldering stuff, i'm thinking of getting a xbox soon

9. SkankyYankee

Member SkankyYankee GBAtemp Advanced Skank

United States
    Be careful, I tried to softmod my first box and bricked it, found my mistake after it was too late [​IMG] . Read the instructions over and over before you try ANYTHING!

10. Armadillo

Member Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    How did you manage that?. Unless you killed the hdd , as long as the lock is still intact xboxhdm can restore it.

11. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    @jalaneme if you know someone with a modded xbox they can do it. The action replay is just a way of getting custom code onto the memory cart, nothing more.

I have seen action replays for £2:50 real world about 8 days ago, same with Splinter Cell. Memory cards are about the same or marginally more (they will arguably be the hardest thing to find: mine ended coming from Norwich). Sidenote: I just tapped in xbox action replay into Amazon and up pops Splinter Cell in second place.

I have a post somewhere in the trading forum with a complete PAL kit (using splinter cell), I only ask you spring for shipping (I am probably going to be in London too in early April sometime too (4th I think) and given a bit of forewarning I do not mind a detour: the whole process takes 25 minutes including cursory testing).
    If not it is a game, memory card (about the size of 2 PS2 ones) and the action replay (about the size of a mp3 player+ cable.

Also I know there are more than a few 'tempers with modded xboxes in the London area, me naming names and essentially volunteering them would obviously not be decent on my part but they are good people so will probably be open to a request.

My suggestion: find a remote. I scored one for £5 the other week and it makes like so much nicer.

My question for someone now:
    Going to be sticking a 500 gig drive in my 1.6 softmodded xbox. I have the EEPROM.bin and do not mind a workaround either.
    In the what I am told is marginal chance of it not locking again what is the chance of it being dead to my PC too?
    Also I do not mind springing for and adapter so IDE or SATA?

My references for this:
    http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?act...=45&t=76808
    http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list&v_...&sort=brand

12. Armadillo

Member Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    There is no reason for it not to work in a pc if it fails to lock. Far as I know if it can't lock , you'll just get something along the lines of locking failed and that's it. Drive will still be fine for use afterwards , I've never heard of a drive being dead after a failed lock attempt.

Although that guide (I assume that's what you are using) , is old and outdated and long. Xboxhdm method is quicker and easier.

13. jalaneme

United Kingdom
    i've seen the action replay sell for nearly £17 no way will you find it online for £2 (i wish) i'm just going to try and find a xbox with linux already installed on it already, i ain't even going to use the xbox for retail games lol

14. Westside

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    Do you guys have EB games in UK? I got a used one action replay for $10 which is £5. If not, you can come to Uzbekistan, my country sells those things for like $2.

15. cracker

Member cracker Nyah!

United States
    XBMC FTW! I can't remember the last time I used either of my Xboxes to play an Xbox game. It's all for the vids. [​IMG]

16. jalaneme

United Kingdom
    actually i was going to use it to play n64 stuff, maybe a few xbox exclusives too, i have a ps3 that takes care of all my video and divx needs [​IMG]

17. cracker

Member cracker Nyah!

United States
    Don't get your hopes too high. N64 emulation on Xbox isn't all that great. :/ It's been a while since I tried but IIRC I was only able to get a game or two to run.

18. EarthBound

Member EarthBound a/s/l?

United States

Way back, when Surrealxxx64? came out it ran quite a few of my games.I remember some gfx glitches,but its been ages since i used it.

19. cracker

Member cracker Nyah!

United States
    I'm gonna go test it here and might have to eat my words. [​IMG]

20. jalaneme

United Kingdom
    try the beta version, that is the latest one.