just got an original xbox

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a few ways to mod the console, but the easiest way for a noob require's another modded xbox, or an action replay with the ability to link a memory card to a computer.

Check xbox-scene.com in the tutorials section for more detailed instructions on this "softmod".

Agjsdfd

My title
Trophies
XP
Country
Just softmod your xbox.
But as Tomobobo said read some guides on xbox-scene.com

Softmodding is easy, and all you need is: Action Replay, 8MB Memory Card and one of those 3 games:
Splinter Cell(I prefer, because all versions of Splinter Cell 1 works(classic+platinum). => Not Splinter Cell Chaos Theory or Pandora Tomorrow.
Mech Assault (Not platinum hit and not mech assault 2)
007 Agent under fire(Not platinum hit).

So if you have any question just ask. I would go for Splinter Cell, its the cheapest to get(well if you already have one of the other mentioned game, you could just use that one)

edit:
By the way: Instead of Action Replay, you can just use Gameshark or Xploder. Or you could make your own USB thingy(whatever its called, it lets you transfer file from PC through your controller, requires cutting and soldering => I think.)

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As Kamui101 said you can make an XBOX controller cable -> USB cable and use a flash drive (many will work) to transfer the save exploit onto the XBOX. It is very simple to make one. You don't even to buy an extra cable, just a USB extension cable if you don't already have one. It has the added bonuses of giving you 2 1/2 or so feet of extension on your controller and letting you hook up your XBOX controller to your PC too.
smile.gif
If you don't have the soldering material or don't have the skills then you can buy a cable online. Here are the tutorials on how to do it.

martin88

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you're hoping to take "that" route... Xbox games are significantly tougher to find on P2P than PS2, Japanese titles in particular. PAL ones tend to be more common than US also.
Maybe on P2P, but on Usenet Xbox games are the easiest to find compared to PS2.

Especially when using the channel #alt.binaries.games.xbox, I have gotten many games by requesting it in the channel.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
does anyone know where i can get a data cable for a memory card so i can transfer stuff from my pc to the xbox? i don't have soldering stuff, i'm thinking of getting a xbox soon

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
jalaneme said:
does anyone know where i can get a data cable for a memory card so i can transfer stuff from my pc to the xbox? i don't have soldering stuff, i'm thinking of getting a xbox soon

Not seen any cables around for directly connecting a card to the pc for ages , but you can buy one of these http://www.cheapmod.com/item---Titanium-X-...B--titaniumxbox and stick the memory card in the xbox controller and access it that way. http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Mods/access_xbox_memory_card.htm , details to do it that are there.

QUOTE(SkankyYankee @ Mar 19 2008, 01:50 PM) Be careful, I tried to softmod my first box and bricked it, found my mistake after it was too late
rolleyes.gif
. Read the instructions over and over before you try ANYTHING!

How did you manage that?. Unless you killed the hdd , as long as the lock is still intact xboxhdm can restore it.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@jalaneme if you know someone with a modded xbox they can do it. The action replay is just a way of getting custom code onto the memory cart, nothing more.

I have seen action replays for £2:50 real world about 8 days ago, same with Splinter Cell. Memory cards are about the same or marginally more (they will arguably be the hardest thing to find: mine ended coming from Norwich). Sidenote: I just tapped in xbox action replay into Amazon and up pops Splinter Cell in second place.

I have a post somewhere in the trading forum with a complete PAL kit (using splinter cell), I only ask you spring for shipping (I am probably going to be in London too in early April sometime too (4th I think) and given a bit of forewarning I do not mind a detour: the whole process takes 25 minutes including cursory testing).
If not it is a game, memory card (about the size of 2 PS2 ones) and the action replay (about the size of a mp3 player+ cable.

Also I know there are more than a few 'tempers with modded xboxes in the London area, me naming names and essentially volunteering them would obviously not be decent on my part but they are good people so will probably be open to a request.

My suggestion: find a remote. I scored one for £5 the other week and it makes like so much nicer.

My question for someone now:
Going to be sticking a 500 gig drive in my 1.6 softmodded xbox. I have the EEPROM.bin and do not mind a workaround either.
In the what I am told is marginal chance of it not locking again what is the chance of it being dead to my PC too?
Also I do not mind springing for and adapter so IDE or SATA?

My references for this:
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?act...=45&t=76808
http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list&v_...&sort=brand

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
FAST6191 said:
My question for someone now:
Going to be sticking a 500 gig drive in my 1.6 softmodded xbox. I have the EEPROM.bin and do not mind a workaround either.
In the what I am told is marginal chance of it not locking again what is the chance of it being dead to my PC too?
Also I do not mind springing for and adapter so IDE or SATA?

My references for this:
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?act...=45&t=76808
http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list&v_...&sort=brand

There is no reason for it not to work in a pc if it fails to lock. Far as I know if it can't lock , you'll just get something along the lines of locking failed and that's it. Drive will still be fine for use afterwards , I've never heard of a drive being dead after a failed lock attempt.

Although that guide (I assume that's what you are using) , is old and outdated and long. Xboxhdm method is quicker and easier.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
i've seen the action replay sell for nearly £17 no way will you find it online for £2 (i wish) i'm just going to try and find a xbox with linux already installed on it already, i ain't even going to use the xbox for retail games lol

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
jalaneme said:
i've seen the action replay sell for nearly £17 no way will you find it online for £2 (i wish) i'm just going to try and find a xbox with linux already installed on it already, i ain't even going to use the xbox for retail games lol
Do you guys have EB games in UK? I got a used one action replay for $10 which is £5. If not, you can come to Uzbekistan, my country sells those things for like $2.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jalaneme said:

XBMC FTW! I can't remember the last time I used either of my Xboxes to play an Xbox game. It's all for the vids.
laugh.gif

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Westside said:
Do you guys have EB games in UK? I got a used one action replay for $10 which is £5. If not, you can come to Uzbekistan, my country sells those things for like $2.

no stores near me stock any old console stuff anymore, i will have to buy it all online, i will have a look anyway.

QUOTE(cracker @ Mar 20 2008, 06:10 PM) XBMC FTW! I can't remember the last time I used either of my Xboxes to play an Xbox game. It's all for the vids.
laugh.gif

actually i was going to use it to play n64 stuff, maybe a few xbox exclusives too, i have a ps3 that takes care of all my video and divx needs
biggrin.gif

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jalaneme said:
cracker said:
XBMC FTW! I can't remember the last time I used either of my Xboxes to play an Xbox game. It's all for the vids.
laugh.gif

actually i was going to use it to play n64 stuff, maybe a few xbox exclusives too, i have a ps3 that takes care of all my video and divx needs
biggrin.gif

Don't get your hopes too high. N64 emulation on Xbox isn't all that great. :/ It's been a while since I tried but IIRC I was only able to get a game or two to run.

EarthBound

a/s/l?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
cracker said:
jalaneme said:
cracker said:
laugh.gif

biggrin.gif

Don't get your hopes too high. N64 emulation on Xbox isn't all that great. :/ It's been a while since I tried but IIRC I was only able to get a game or two to run.

Way back, when Surrealxxx64? came out it ran quite a few of my games.I remember some gfx glitches,but its been ages since i used it.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EarthBound said:
cracker said:
jalaneme said:
cracker said:
laugh.gif

biggrin.gif

Way back, when Surrealxxx64? came out it ran quite a few of my games.I remember some gfx glitches,but its been ages since i used it.

I'm gonna go test it here and might have to eat my words.
ph34r.gif

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
EarthBound said:
cracker said:

i have the Surrealxxx64 beta 5 i think, thats the latest one, i'm not sure how to run it yet until i get the xbox, but i've seen the vids on youtube and the major games run fine, i've got all the good games on real n64 carts, just the more expensive games like conkers bad fur day i want to play and donkey kong, smash bros 64 seems to have laggy audio though.

QUOTE(cracker @ Mar 20 2008, 07:11 PM)
I'm gonna go test it here and might have to eat my words.
ph34r.gif

try the beta version, that is the latest one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.