Just got a wii, the screen turns black when I click settings

doomdyke

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I dont know what to do, I got a wii off facebook marketplace and brought it home and when i tried to change the language in settings it just appears as a blank screen and the only way i can go back is to turn the wii off and on. what can i do?

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I don't think I've ever heard of this issue before.

Are you able to change the Video Resolution in the Settings?

Some TV's are incompatible with the Wii's 480i picture, so it'll just display a black screen (but will get sound). Unless there's no sound once your picture goes black, I'd dare to say it's a semi-brick.

In the case of it being a semi-brick, there's little you can do if you don't have a NAND backup from before the system had this issue.

I think there's a way to do a NAND backup and "restore it" with PC software, but I'm not sure and can't guide you on that.

You might as well do a SysCheck (with SysCheck... Google it) and post the results here.

More knowledgeable users will read your SysCheck and may identify your issue.

morning_glory

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Is the Wii modded ?
After startup (after clicking A) what do you see, channels &/or - What works & fails ?
Provide more detailed info on the route to failure.
You won't be able to send a SysCheck report yet. You need more posts, but you can copy/paste it.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
In the case of it being a semi-brick, there's little you can do if you don't have a NAND backup from before the system had this issue.

I think there's a way to do a NAND backup and "restore it" with PC software, but I'm not sure and can't guide you on that.
Please don't start with the most destructive methods.

The PC software you mean is probably Ohneschwanzenegger (💢💀⛈️⚡☠️ Who came up with that name? That is awful!)
It can create a NAND image, but it requires at least the encryption key for that console.
=====

In any case getting access to homebrew software is the first step:
After startup (after clicking A) what do you see, channels &/or - What works & fails ?
Is there the Homebrew Channel. That would be ideal.

Hold (Reset) on power on to see if Priiloader (or even the old Preloader) shows up. Extract the BootMii files to an empty, FAT32 formatted SD and see if BootMii shows up when turning on the Wii. Only on consoles with BootMii in boot2 this will happen and this is the only case were a NAND restore (especially with an Ohneschwanzenegger image) is save.
Before overwriting NAND, make sure to backup the partially bricked state. It might come in handy.

Good luck!

Reactions: morning_glory

morning_glory

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Does your Wii look damaged ? It was in transit.
Where did it come from ? (country)
Get a couple of stiff drinks in front of you, sit back & search here (GBAtemp) for knowledge & tuition. It's not hard to read. Then you will have more understanding :)
Just don't panic & don't do anything hasty.
Post automatically merged:

Hold (Reset) on power on to see if Priiloader (or even the old Preloader) shows up. Extract the BootMii files to an empty, FAT32 formatted SD and see if BootMii shows up when turning on the Wii. Only on consoles with BootMii in boot2 this will happen and this is the only case were a NAND restore (especially with an Ohneschwanzenegger image) is save.
Before overwriting NAND, make sure to backup the partially bricked state. It might come in handy.
I think the closest he got to a Wii previously, was playing on somebody else's unmodded Wii.
Even using PriiLoader sounds like it's out of his league.

Last edited by morning_glory,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think Switch 2 will launch about Christmas this year lol