Hacking Just Curious... How do these exploits and Loadiine work, vaguely?

CaiusGT

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Title says it all lol, looking to hear it from someone who understand the concept and can relay it to me in a few idiot-proof sentences :)

I think what confuses me the most is Loadiine, a program..is it running off a cloud lol?
Thanks in advance for the light reading.

Garou

Trophies
XP
Country
this is for the OSDriver explanation https://gbatemp.net/threads/osdriver-kernel-exploit-a-technical-description.395444/

as for loadiine, pretty much like this
DLC and updates downloaded from the console are not loaded by loadiine.
the console is loading SSBU and SSBU updates/DLC.
loadiine redirect the loading to SD card. the console still sees only SSBU and think you are playing SSBU. It does not load DLC of the game you are loading with loadiine.

If you want to update the game, you need to extract the update on SD card too.

for the same reason, Online access is not possible with loadiine, because the console think you are trying to access online for SSBU, not for the currently played game.
you can read the source code if you want here https://github.com/dimok789/loadiine

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
it's running "of a cloud" because the exploit is on the browser application, and it can access internet.
if it was another application, you would be limited to its possible access (lan, sd, nand, mii, saves, etc.)
being a vulnerability on the browser opens the door more easily, as you only need to load a file into memory by visiting an URL.

The OSDriver above is only the second layer in the full exploit. it's the one which patch the kernel level access.
Before that, you need to patch the user level access.

see it like 3 walls around the main CPU functions. the IOS wall, the kernel and user wall.
the IOS is responsible for hardware access, it's grants applications the access to specific hardware based on their needs (sd, usb, network, gamepad, etc.)
the kernel is responsible for the memory access, it allows or block specific memory area to prevent an application from accessing restricted memory and data.
The user level is "all the other function" an application can use to create the game/interface, a game don't need to manage the memory and the hardware, it only access what the IOS and kernel provides him. the user level is enough for a lot of application and homebrew, like games, emulators, mediaplayer, etc.
Then, there's the end user level : Us, the players. we don't have access to functions, only to input/output (tv, gamepad, sometime SD, sometime network and internet)

But you are limited in what the IOS or kernel let you access.
For example, loadiine is using Smash Bros as "host game" because it's one of the two disc based games (with Art academy) which the IOS grant SD access.
As IOS exploit is not public yet, we can't edit the hardware rights and are limited in what we can access based on the "host" we are using.

So, we come back to the browser exploit :
The browser has network access granted by the IOS, so it's a thing we can use to break the first wall and get the "user level" where we can run our own functions.
The first wall vulnerability in the browser is : JSStringJoiner heap overflow (up to 5.3.2) and StageFright (up to 5.5.0 and I think still not patched in 5.5.1)
http://wiiubrew.org/wiki/Exploits

it's using an overflow vulnerability, which means that the program (the browser here) is not correctly checking the length of its variables when writing into memory, and if you write a bigger variable than expected, you are "overflowing" into another memory area/bank.
by doing that, you can write a function in that area, and the browser will run it when it will load that area : the kernel provided that area to the browser, and the browser has user access allowing it to run "non kernel related" functions here.

The function we are loading here is the "entry point" into loading another program : the payload (your homebrew).
a tiny overflow lets you continue execution to another functions.

This is the "user level" access. You can now run safe functions here. safe functions are all the non-kernel functions, the ones not trying to access or modify the memory, or file system.
The issue here is that the browser has a limited memory area it can use to store your homebrew (few Kb), and if you need more memory you need to get kernel access to give the browser more memory!

this is now the OSDriver job.
that exploit is explained in the link posted by Garou.
That explanation is a lot more technical, it's explaining how it really works and not just providing the general idea.

Like said above, the kernel level is needed to get more memory, but also to get access to File system functions (to rewrite and redirect access from NAND to SD, for loadiine or saviine) or to access and edit the memory (TCPGecko), or rewrite the read/write rights of each memory area (BAT).

By using a vulnerability in the "kernel wall" the same way we exploited one in the "user wall", we can write functions in the kernel level and the kernel will run them for us.

isamudyson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
J'ai tout compris...avec toutefois quelques réserves bien légitimes sur l'avenir des versions 5.5.x puisqu'intiment lié à la disponibilité de l'exploit IOSU.
I understood it all....There are still legitimate worries about the future of 5.5.X versions; those updates remain tightly linked to the avalaibility of IOSU exploit.
Where is the so-expected exploit ?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
the exploit exists, and is used by developers who need it in order to give users something to use when it's released.
Releasing the IOS exploit alone is not very useful to end users.
Of course, releasing it will let more developers to use it instead of the current limited circle.

Seeing how the majority of the users here acted toward Hykem, it doesn't provide will or interest to release it. only criticism and attack..
Like we say : don't bite the hand of your feeder.

he is still working on it, just wait until it's released.
It works on 5.5.0, and will still work on 5.5.0 in ten years. there's no rush in releasing it.
just don't update if you want to use it one day. wait patiently, it will be released when he decides it's time for public release.

IOS is not the only vulnerability and usable exploit.
it's not because "IOS exploit" exists, that no more exploit will be found or released. see how the Stagefright exploit was released to 5.5.x users.

Reactions: CaiusGT

link270

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for everyone on the explanations! I am a collage student working on my computer science degree and would love to be able to dive into some home-brew and coding for this type of thing in the nearish future, so the explanations are very interesting to read and to get into.

Thanks!

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Seeing how the majority of the users here acted toward Hykem, it doesn't provide will or interest to release it.
The majority of users? Somehow, I find that hard to believe. Being a mod, Cyan, you can probably tell the total number of users on GBATemp, and then count how many users posted hostile comments toward Hykem. I'd be impressed if it reached even just 3%. People shouldn't let a minority of trolls represent the general consensus. I'm glad the thread in question is closed. Don't give a tribune to trolls.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I meant the majority of the users who posted.
I was only referring to the active users who wrote comments in his thread and in the general wiiu hacking thread, about all the impatient users expecting a release and acting like if they deserved something.

Of course there are good users waiting patiently, understanding his work, and I know there are a lot, some who never posted, or even some who don't even have an account here.
the fact is that most (not all) posts that we notice the more often are the ones from impatient users asking again and again every weeks if 5.5.0 and IOS are released. it's just "notice" because there are others too, we just got a lot of same posts already answered, and users who don't read re-post the same thing. I didn't say there's no legit comments.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ