Just beat Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

Discussion in 'GBA - Console and Game Discussions, Help and Tips' started by qdn745, Mar 4, 2007.

Mar 4, 2007
  1. qdn745
    OP

Newcomer qdn745 Newbie

Canada
    [​IMG] , I feel that it was a little over-rated.

2. teh_raf3

Member teh_raf3 Whatever suits you

Belgium
    no.

3. Deadmon

Member Deadmon A Temper

Canada
    Great game, but a bit too short. Great humour in it though, nonetheless.

4. dice

Former Staff dice pansy-ass ex-staff member

United Kingdom
    I don't remember any negatives from playing (and finishing) the game... [​IMG]

5. science

Member science science rules

Canada
    Boss battles were way to long. Oh wait no that was the sequel. Nevermind

6. NickyDaewoo

Member NickyDaewoo Advanced Member

United States
    I thought that game was pretty fun, I'm playing through the sequel right now cause I just got my R4.

7. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    super star saga is an excellent game, nice story, good gameplay and puzzles, very nice overworld, they did everything that makes a good RPG right.

but the sequel is incredibly overrated

8. qdn745
    OP

Newcomer qdn745 Newbie

Canada
    Great game indeed, but the battles had very little strategy in them, depending mainly on your timing when dodging attacks. I beat the bosses near the end of the game by just using the first bros attack you get (repeatedly). However, the battles were fun by being more interactive, but there needs to be a little more variety in attacks that you can perform (like SM:RPG from snes), IMO. Humour was some of the best (it is a Mario game after all). It was pretty good, but I don't plan on playing it again.

9. Jax

Member Jax Pip Pip Cheerioink!

Portugal
    The best in SS and PiT is definitly the humor! [​IMG]

10. Arm73

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    I also think it's a great game and certainly not over rated at all.
    I loved every minute of it, great story, good humor and really nice graphics.
    Mario RPGs are the only RPGs I actually play and finish, in fact even though I loved Golden sun presentation and story, I had to give up several hours into the game because I really hate all those random battles.
    That's a problem I have, that prevents me from enjoying good RPG.
    I remember once I went very, very far with Skies of Arcadia(40+hours) and all of a sudden I stopped playing it because the random battles were getting too frequents.
    The concept of Mario & Luigi is excellent, I can avoid a battle by staying clear from enemies, but I rarely do because they are actually fun, the timed button presses to defense or attack are genius and make me feel I'm actually doing something during a battle.
    I loved it so much that now I'm half way trough Partners in time, and when I'm done Paper mario thausand door for the GC awaits me to be played on my Wii in progressive scan mode....
    Partners in time is not so bad, it's quite funny and I like its humor, really, although I recognize the whole package does lack something magic and charismatic from the previous GBA iteration.
    It's still good fun, and I'm sure I'm gonna sit trough it till the end.

By the way you guys certainly have more experience then me when it comes to RPG, so I'm asking you if you know any good RPG with a battle system similar to Mario and Luigi, I mean without random battles.
    I just realized the other day that Lunar Knight has that kind of orientation, like an action RPG, although has most pure RPG elements, but what about the rest ?
    Can you recommend me any good RPGs without random battles, or less boring random battles if you know what I mean ?

11. Shebang

Member Shebang GBAtemp Fan

Belgium
    I liked the humor, but it was too short for a game.

12. Edgedancer

Member Edgedancer Director of Moon based operations

Australia
    There is one quote that really sticks in my mind. "Your destruction shall be mustard of Cacklettes sandwich of doom"

13. Superstarsaga

Newcomer Superstarsaga Member

United States
    no, just no...

it was what some call short, but I played it in bits as it is a portable game, it was great

14. sipoon

Member sipoon GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    Try Paper Mario RPG, you time the attacks too!!

15. Arm73

Italy

That's the one I'm playing now, thanks [​IMG]

Honestly I never really was into RPG's, the first I managed to put over 40 hours in to was Skyes of Arcadia on the DC, but even though that one was a really beautiful RPG it became kind of frustrating because of the too frequents random battles.

Even Golden Sun on the GBA, that according to some pools was even voted among the best games ever on the system, didn't hold my attention for too long.
    Not strictly an RPG, but more of an action RPG was Paper Mario on the N64 the first one of it's kind that I truly adored all the way to the end, and then after a couple of years I played Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga on the GBA, and I had just as much fun.
    Again M & L partners in time was OK too(read the above comment) and last week I started Paper mario thousand year door , and I'm surely loving it !!!
    Once I'm done I'm gonna take a little brake and I'm gonna go for Paper mario II of course, but my original question remains !
    I know that I like ANY Mario RPG's by now, but why don't I like any other RPGs ? Is there anything out there comparable to the ones I like ? I couldn't find any, I guess I'm not really that much into classic RPGs......... [​IMG]

16. shadowboy

Member shadowboy :D

United States
    Lunar Knights is more action game than RPG. Play Boktai 1 for the GBA first, its the prequel, and it is a stealth game sorta, the rom is hacked for sunlight so you don't have to worry bout it. (Think MGS GBA)

And try the Shining Soul games for the genesis, good fun there.

17. Glacius0

Member Glacius0 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Golden Sun is a decent game, but it's not as great as people make it out to be. Biggest flaw is it's lack in having a compelling story. That being said, I'm not surprised you think RPGs are not for you. I would recommend revisiting an old SNES classic called Chrono Trigger. After playing that you'll understand why I think Golden Sun is not all that.

Edit: I should mention 2 things. One being that Golden Sun, for those who haven't played the first game through the end only on the surface seems to hint at there being a good story but never delivers. And secondly, Chrono Trigger does not have random battles. You actually see the enemies on the screen. I'm still puzzled why RPG makers always choose the lazy route and make it random.

18. hemanwomanhater

Newcomer hemanwomanhater Newbie

United States
    Are you referring only to JRPGs (Japanese RPGs)? If so, then I'd suggest Vagrant Story (PSOne) and Final Fantasy XII (PS2).

If not, then I would HIGHLY suggest Fallout and Fallout 2, Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn (with expansions), Knights of the Old Republic and Sith Lords, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Fable: The Lost Chapters, all of which I played no problem on a fairly low-end PC.

19. Arm73

Italy
    Wahoo......
    Almost two months after I posted the original question I got so many good suggestions!!
    Thanks a lot guys, I will definitely check' em out.
    As I said' I think I hate random battles, and the symptons defenitely started while I was playng Skyes of Arcadia.
    But if Chrono Trigger doesn' t have any I mightvas well start trom there....
    Also Lunar Knights looks really good, not only battles aran' t random, but you actually have to hack and slash trougth them a la Zelda!!
    Vagrant Story also looks great, I started it to check it out a while ago but didn' t have the chance to give it a fair try.
    Thanks a lot, I will save this page for future references.
    I would write more but I'm typing from my Wii....[​IMG]