Hacking Question Jumping from 9.2.0 straight to 11.0.1?

foreverimages

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TL;DR

Have an original Switch that is on Hekate/Kosmos/AtlasNX and FW 9.2 -- I haven't touched it for awhile and now some of the games I want to play require 10.x or like Dead Cells, even 11.x firmware.

So, a few quick questions:

• Is there any reason NOT to go straight to 11.0.1 and be done with FW upgrades for awhile? If so, which version is recommended?
  • So many confusing answer out there on how to update to the latest Atmosphere CFW since Kosmos/Atlas is no loner updated. Looking for the easiest/quickest way for CFW/FW upgrade
  • I just need a straightforward approach. I don't need any fancy features or settings. Just play the newest games
Thanks in advance!

almmiron

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
First thing, forget kosmos.

Erase:
-atmosphere folder
-hekate folder
-sept folder

Download:
-latest atmosphere from github releases page, note that if not using hekate you will have the use the newest payload.bin to your dongle, in case you use.
-Sigpatches (hekate)
-Hekate
-11.x Firmware (search for it anywhere but here)

Put all on your sd card. (atmosphere, hekate, sept folder).

Do you have emunand?
Have any pretension to online play?

Assuming no:
- Payload hekate, enter it, activate auto RCM on its config page.
-Always enter on sysnandCFW, and NEVER sysnandOFW.
-Use homebrew to update to 11.x (daybreak or choidujourNX)
-If you never entered sysnandOFW, you can use daybreak or choidujourNX to, if needed (problably won't), revert it back to whatever firmware OFW is right now.

Last edited by almmiron,
Reactions: foreverimages

foreverimages

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First thing, forget kosmos.

Erase:
-atmosphere folder
-hekate folder
-sept folder

Download:
-latest atmosphere from github releases page, note that if not using hekate you will have the use the newest payload.bin to your dongle, in case you use.
-Sigpatches (hekate)
-Hekate
-11.x Firmware (search for it anywhere but here)

Put all on your sd card. (atmosphere, hekate, sept folder).

Do you have emunand?
Have any pretension to online play?

Assuming no:
- Payload hekate, enter it, activate auto RCM on its config page.
-Always enter on sysnandCFW, and NEVER sysnandOFW.
-Use homebrew to update to 11.x (daybreak or choidujourNX)
-If you never entered sysnandOFW, you can use daybreak or choidujourNX to, if needed (problably won't), revert it back to whatever firmware OFW is right now.

Thanks for the help!

I forgot to mention, I have the Switch in airplane mode and have zero need to go online, ever.

I haven't messed with EmuNAND at all. I have a RCMLoader device and I AutoRCM enabled. I remember doing like a 9.0 to 9.2 upgrade with choidujourNX a while ago but didn't upgrade any of the Kosmos/Atmosphere/Hekate components and didn't want to mess them up.

Any reason not to go straight to 11.0.1?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ideally, you have two options you either use one that already pre-build or build your own vanilla Atmosphere from scratches.

If you want to use Pre-build you have few possible options like SD setup, and Deepsea (replaced Kosmos).
https://github.com/Team-Neptune/DeepSea
https://www.sdsetup.com/console?switch

These use Hekate/Fss0 patches. Pre build pack are easier to use, just drag and drop.

Additional option would be to use Vanilla Atmosphere, which requires some work.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-hekate-chainload-vanilla-atmos.563255/

Loading vanilla Atmosphere use Fusee Patches.

Keep in mind that if you want to use Tinfoil you need to use Fusee Primary, loading with Hekate/Fss0 setup will prevent you from using Tinfoil shops.

almmiron

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Thanks for the help!

I forgot to mention, I have the Switch in airplane mode and have zero need to go online, ever.

I haven't messed with EmuNAND at all. I have a RCMLoader device and I AutoRCM enabled. I remember doing like a 9.0 to 9.2 upgrade with choidujourNX a while ago but didn't upgrade any of the Kosmos/Atmosphere/Hekate components and didn't want to mess them up.

Any reason not to go straight to 11.0.1?

No particular reason to not do it. Like you said, if the game requires is time to update. No problem from 9 to 11.

Like the fella said, if you using tinfoil shops aka fr33 sh0p, forget hekate also. use only vanilla atomsphere, and the sigpatches for it, and your'e good to go. if you're stuck, come back here for help.

obs: You have to update the payload.bin on your dongle device also. wich model?

Last edited by almmiron,

foreverimages

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No particular reason to not do it. Like you said, if the game requires is time to update. No problem from 9 to 11.

Like the fella said, if you using tinfoil shops aka fr33 sh0p, forget hekate also. use only vanilla atomsphere, and the sigpatches for it, and your'e good to go. if you're stuck, come back here for help.

obs: You have to update the payload.bin on your dongle device also. wich model?

Here is the model I have

https://www.xkit.xyz/rcmloader/

Also, if I have to take my device online to use Tinfoil, where do I even start? I haven't taken this Switch online at all up to this point.

almmiron

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
1st thing: You should know by now that I'm not, neither gbatemp, responsible for anything that happens to your switch or account.

2nd: Anytime you can be banned. Nintendo does whatever it wants to, and we never know for sure why some people are banned or not, besides some obvious things, like go online gaming on cfw, or playing not yet launched games online....

Being so, 'secure' is a dangerous word to use here.

To minimize the chances of getting banned, people hide their switch prodinfo to go online (note that i mean online on homebrew, tinfoil, etc. Don't go for online gaming or oficial online updates)

atmosphere itself has a option to hide your switch info.
Chosse sysmmc or emummc if you use emunand.

Other method is the incognito option, that do same thing ( I guess).

That just it. I recommend the 1st option. Just hide your info, configure your switch network and use it for homebrew. You can even use the 90dns to block connectin to nintendo server, but some people don't do that, because without the prodinfo thing, your connection to nintendo servers will fail anyways. But not for homebrew or tinfoil network options. 90dns can slow down internet speed for some folks, just try it yourself.

About your dongle, same as mine. Just plugin in your pc via usb, erase the payload.bin in the folder you're using (blue light if i'm not mistaken is atmosphere folder). Put the updated payload.bin from the atmosphere github page, fuse-primary.bin and rename it to payload.bin. If you choose to use atmosphere, then put the proper payload on the proper folder of the dongle. renaming it to payload.bin

Last edited by almmiron,

foreverimages

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks all -- I am going to try to get this done today so I'll reach back with results or questions.

Only other question I had is why there are three different ways to update firmware (Daybreak, Chour, ChourNX) and why people insist on using one vs the other or is it just preference?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks all -- I am going to try to get this done today so I'll reach back with results or questions.

Only other question I had is why there are three different ways to update firmware (Daybreak, Chour, ChourNX) and why people insist on using one vs the other or is it just preference?

Choidujour is for PC, ChoidujourNX is for the switch , and Daybreak is Atmosphere own implementation of a firmware flashing tool.

foreverimages

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Choidujour is for PC, ChoidujourNX is for the switch , and Daybreak is Atmosphere own implementation of a firmware flashing tool.

Thanks Hayato -- I used NX when I first got the switch and went from 9.0 to 9.2 and it worked fine. Don't know if matters to use Daybreak or NX to go from 9.2 to 11.0.1

foreverimages

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so I got the new Hekate on my RCMLoader, my SD updated as instructed (Went with DeepSea for simplicity sake since I was comin from Kosmos). Now, I can boot to Hekate just fine but when I start loading CFWSysnand, the DeepSea logo appears, then the Atmosphere loading screen then I get this black screen and error.

https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere/issues/847

So, following the fix, I am running Fix Archive Bit in Hekate but it stops scanning here and acts like it locks up. I think my SD card files are corrupt. It's 256gb and I have it almost full of games so I thought it was just taking a long time but after an hour, it's still stuck. I am ok with wiping the card and starting from scratch but do I have to do anything special beyond the instructions here if I do format the SD card ?

TIA

Attachments

• IMG_4429.jpg
    IMG_4429.jpg
    480.2 KB · Views: 246
Last edited by foreverimages,

foreverimages

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just FYI, it was my SD card. I got everything cleaned, reformatted, upgraded and working so far on 11.0.1 - You are all very kind. Thank you! I may post questions as they arise related to this again.

foreverimages

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All working except with Goldleaf try to install Dead Cells, I can get the main game, latest update and DLC 1 to install but DLC 2 and 3 both give me NCA/ticket errors. I installed all the latest Hekate Sig/patches. Any idea? (And I am on FW 11.0.1)

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All working except with Goldleaf try to install Dead Cells, I can get the main game, latest update and DLC 1 to install but DLC 2 and 3 both give me NCA/ticket errors. I installed all the latest Hekate Sig/patches. Any idea? (And I am on FW 11.0.1)
Don't use Goldleaf as it is arguably the worst title installer. Instead, I recommend using TinWoo Installer instead.

foreverimages

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't use Goldleaf as it is arguably the worst title installer. Instead, I recommend using TinWoo Installer instead.

Yep. Just found Awoo and that's worked perfectly. Why is Goldleaf so popular? It's horrible in general.

do not install 11.0.1... install only 11.0.0 using daybreak then use atmosphere latest or sx os...

Too late. Already went to 11.0.1 with no issue.

Reactions: Draxzelex

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep. Just found Awoo and that's worked perfectly. Why is Goldleaf so popular? It's horrible in general.
I believe its due to Goldleaf being the first publicly released title installer. Tinfoil was unfortunately never finished so the only builds available are pre-compiled ones not released by the author.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night