Hacking Question Switching between CFW and stock OS

axion64

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all, very casual CFW user here, hoping to get some advice. I bought a Switch on the day of release, but waited until last year to start using CFW.

I use the pin-short method and TegraRcm to inject Hekate, then I usually launch CFW (SYSNAND) (but sometimes CFW (EMUMMC) - honestly have no idea what the difference is). Then AtlasNX/KOSMOS (perhaps even atmosphere?) loads my system, where I can start using homebrew apps. My system version reads "9.2.0|AMS 0.10.5|S". I also use 90DNS to avoid Nintendo servers.

Here's my question. Some friends have started playing Mario Kart online and I'd like to jump in. Mario Kart is the only game I own on my Nintendo account. So what I'd like to do is boot into my stock OS, disable 90DNS, update the OS, then download Mario Kart and join in. After I'm done, I would re-enable 90DNS and boot back into my CFW.

My first priority is to avoid damaging the CFW and library of software I use. It's much more important to keep my current CFW working than it is to play Mario Kart. My second, less important priority is to avoid a Nintendo ban.

Does this sound like a highly risky/stupid approach? or does it just come with a small/random chance of ban from Nintendo servers? Am I in real jeopardy of corrupting my CFW/bricking my console by doing this (especially the OS updates)? or is that possible but unlikely? do I need to worry about the "burning fuses" thing?

It might seem silly to bother with 90DNS since I'm explicitly communicating with Nintendo servers from time to time, but given the randomness of bans, it seems like a small hassle in exchange for a small decrease to the chances I get banned. Thanks for any advice!

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all, very casual CFW user here, hoping to get some advice. I bought a Switch on the day of release, but waited until last year to start using CFW.

I use the pin-short method and TegraRcm to inject Hekate, then I usually launch CFW (SYSNAND) (but sometimes CFW (EMUMMC) - honestly have no idea what the difference is). Then AtlasNX/KOSMOS (perhaps even atmosphere?) loads my system, where I can start using homebrew apps. My system version reads "9.2.0|AMS 0.10.5|S". I also use 90DNS to avoid Nintendo servers.

Here's my question. Some friends have started playing Mario Kart online and I'd like to jump in. Mario Kart is the only game I own on my Nintendo account. So what I'd like to do is boot into my stock OS, disable 90DNS, update the OS, then download Mario Kart and join in. After I'm done, I would re-enable 90DNS and boot back into my CFW.

My first priority is to avoid damaging the CFW and library of software I use. It's much more important to keep my current CFW working than it is to play Mario Kart. My second, less important priority is to avoid a Nintendo ban.

Does this sound like a highly risky/stupid approach? or does it just come with a small/random chance of ban from Nintendo servers? Am I in real jeopardy of corrupting my CFW/bricking my console by doing this (especially the OS updates)? or is that possible but unlikely? do I need to worry about the "burning fuses" thing?

It might seem silly to bother with 90DNS since I'm explicitly communicating with Nintendo servers from time to time, but given the randomness of bans, it seems like a small hassle in exchange for a small decrease to the chances I get banned. Thanks for any advice!
If you haven't made a backup of your eMMC as well as BOOT0/BOOT1, then you should do so now as those are for to recover from a brick. And if you haven't made a backup of those, then you cannot return online safely because you need a clean eMMC backup that was made before running CFW/homebrew in order to go online. Lastly, the purpose of fuses is to prevent downgrades and the only reason to downgrade is if there are better exploits on lower firmware versions. That being said, there is no benefit to burning fuses as Nintendo has not banned anyone yet for a mismatched fuse count so if possible, try to avoid burning them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr