ROM Hack Jump Ulimate Stars Translation Project

thatsit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
People who read manga are going to want the original japanese translations, while people who watch the anime are going to want the americanized versions.
Yeah, that makes a whole lot of sense.
rolleyes.gif

geunt

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
This discussion alredy exist somewhere in this thread
It s jump ultimate star .... not anime ultimate star

they re only few character names and attack who s gonna be americanized like:
jelly jiggler instead of tennosuke from bo-bobo
Spirit bomb instead of genkidama
but mr satan is mr satan

there is something like 200 character..... some series never reach american territory and other has already been translated
this game must be accessible for evryone and NOT reserved to elitist japanese mangas fan
so it will be a mix of japanese and american names

Waddle Dee

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That makes sense, and some areas were translated. Naruto, One-piece, but things like the one where the little black haired kid has the book and kills spirits, that came out in america but after the game, so leave it japanized.

Animan351

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I like the voting idea but as I've done no actual work on the project I agree with just letting the actual people doing the work to decide what they want there work to end up as, and even though I'd like it to be more direct in since most of those animes/mangas will not have all been watched by most of the people who are going to play this, no ones going to end up caring to much about what Genki-Dama means if they get this patch and don't already know. Think Ryu's special move in street fighter. We all loved the game but who cared what Shoryuken meant.

OK , so it means rising dragon fist. I'm a junky, it's sad

Grimalkin

Waaaaaaaah!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Well, I like the voting idea but as I've done no actual work on the project I agree with just letting the actual people doing the work to decide what they want there work to end up as, and even though I'd like it to be more direct in since most of those animes/mangas will not have all been watched by most of the people who are going to play this, no ones going to end up caring to much about what Genki-Dama means if they get this patch and don't already know. Think Ryu's special move in street fighter. We all loved the game but who cared what Shoryuken meant.

OK , so it means rising dragon fist. I'm a junky, it's sad

Just imagine a direct translation for Tatsumakisenpukyaku. And it's not "Hurricane Kick". >.>

thejellydude

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Another question for the higher ups, even though my first ones were never truely answered...
Do you thik we should have any rewrites?

As in Vegeta's Galick Gun is:
"To gather the Ki of the entire body at one point, to aim in the straight line."
"Blast off! It's powerful."

It just sounds bad to me. I think it should be rewritten, maybe into something more along the lines of:
"He gathers the Ki of his entire body at one point, and aims it in a straight line."
"Blast off! It's powerful!"

Grimalkin

Waaaaaaaah!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Another question for the higher ups, even though my first ones were never truely answered...
Do you thik we should have any rewrites?

As in Vegeta's Galick Gun is:
"To gather the Ki of the entire body at one point, to aim in the straight line."

It just sounds bad to me. I think it should be rewritten, maybe into something more along the lines of:
"He gathers the Ki of his entire body at one point, and aims it in a straight line."
"Blast off! It's powerful!"

Well, if the original is a direct translation, the literal translation should be: "to aim forwards" or "he aims forwards" or " straight forwards".

In a literal sense he wouldn't have to aim in a straight line, since when you aim you're looking for a direction. When you translate such lines into Chinese (which is my native language) it would work out the same in a direct sense "to aim in straight line", but it would mean "aim forwards" in a literal sense.

geunt

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
i think more like an interpretation, because we need to keep number of chracter use by line X2 at max

you can use original but interpretation are more suitable

Btw you can delete kanji of lines that you work on
kanji are here only in case of non translated things (or because some line are just so weird ..... the original dump on Crisistunty has been "automatic" translated a lot .... and entries has not been removed, it s part of the clean to neat all this mess)

and i m at line 1600 right now of Chr_b_t.bin , once finish i will begin chr_s_t.bin then i will help to clean character by character

geunt

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
we ll put here character or special attacks that hard to adapt
I can t give acces to evryone to the file because it ll be a real mess to work all together at the same time ........

But this thread is another good way to work
Track this thread
tongue.gif

Grimalkin

Waaaaaaaah!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Well to properly fix the one before. [] = optional.

"Gathering the Ki of his entire body at one point, he aims forward."

or this, to signify possession:

"Gathering the Ki of his entire body [at one point], Vegeta aims forward."

^Not exactly what a person would say, or describe (ugh.)

Normally one would use "Fire!" or "Blast!" for actions.

"Blast! It's powerful!"
"Fire! It's powerful.'

But then powerful loses it's impact so...

"Blast! I-It's Powerful!!"
"Fire! P-Powerful!!"

Or we can leave the description out entirely, it wouldn't impact the word.

"Blast!" or "Fire!"

Although I think he uses Blast! in the anime/manga

geunt

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
special move description use 2 lines......

those who began to translate doesn t know what they re work on
i think they ve work line by line

the "fire" or "blast" you speak about is just the verb of the phrase, i mean the phrase sould be like this

Gathering the Ki of his entire body at one point, he aims and fire forward ! it s powerfull !!

that s why i talk about interpretation or rewriting, It s not possible to have a 100% word by word translation ! because of space saving, but we can make description off attacks with our own words, of course we use original text as an inspiration and some reference as fan site and wiki for well know attacks such as dragon ball special move or naruto etc etc....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol