Gaming JTAG Setup

kid sampson

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's where I'm at: XEXMENU is installed as is NXE2GOD.

What's next though? What options do I have to move files from PC to 360? Or better yet, is there just a comprehensive tutorial regarding the functions of XEXMENU? SInce I don't have a transfer cable and don't understand how to use FTP, might I be able to use a simple USB stick?

Also, regarding hard drives, will any drive do? Does it matter if it is USB or SATA, and does it need to be in a specific format?

Thanks for humoring me...

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"XEXMENU is installed as is NXE2GOD"

NXE2GOD does as it says on the tin and transforms games you install with the NXE install/copy to drive feature. From here while you should be able to use XEXmenu you can also just run them from the drive.

You can get away with some USB stick stuff but it is all about the FTP really. FTP is simple, fast, reliable, widely known and widely understood so there is not likely to be anything else soon.

The idea is brutally simple, indeed it is probably no more complex than typing in a web address.

http://filezilla-project.org/ is a very nice FTP client.
Portable apps also do a version but we can leave that for later.
Stealing a screenshot from their site, it roughly corresponds to most FTP apps as well.
fz3_win_main.png

In that screenshot there is 127.0.0.1 which is the address (analogous to www.gbatemp.net), it might be set in stone by the app, it might be set in an ini/config file for the app and it might be given to you by DCHP (dial up your router and see what IP addresses it has assigned).
The port is standard so you can leave it blank or put 21 (the standard) in if you want (80 is standard HTTP but it can change which is why you will sometimes see www.somesite.com:8080 or something)
username and password depends on your application of choice, the NFO/readme should detail that or how you can find it out. Xexmenu which probably has the best built in FTP server right now is xbox for both the user and password.
The left hand pane is your PC, the right hand pane is the xbox. What goes where depends on what you are doing.

I will mention at this point there are starting to be applications that sort things for you but learn the manual way at least for a few days.

When you say hard drives USB drive and SATA drives would mean different things here:
XBReboot allows the use of any sata drive from the 360 drive port (on stock/dvd firmware modded boxes you are limited to official or a small selection of drives that then have to be hacked). The 360 will take care of formatting (sidenote, some versions of the rebooter apps messed up original xbox compatibility so there are applications to sort that).

USB drives are fairly compatible and just about everything will work. USB itself was somewhat unstable for a while but is now OK. I am not sure which formats are supported these days (it is somewhat application dependent (I saw a bunch added HFS+ support in the last round of updates)

kid sampson

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the advice!
And I'm guessing this may be silly, but does my 360 need to have a wireless adapter in order to connect to FTP? Or could I run an ethernet wire from my PC or laptop to connect the devices?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
On laptops and desktops with multiple networks ports (many modern motherboards have them, if not they are more or less giving away 10/100 network cards these days) people tend just to bridge them (go to network connections, select both, right click and press bridge) and let the router sort it all out. Indeed many people use laptops like this when using live rather than forking out for one of those expensive wireless adapters MS flogs.

Other than that hardware support should not be a problem, beating your software/OS (especially consumer level windows) into shape might be (learning about static IPs is the easiest way here but you can set up a server if you want).

kid sampson

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So here's another question. I have two 360s now (for the time being). Both have 60 GB hard drives.

The first has all of my saves and my profile on it.
The second has Xexmenu and NXE2God installed.

All I want to do is take what's on drive 1 and migrate it to drive 2. (Unless the reverse is easier to do...) What would I have to do to accomplish this with FTP? Do I just copy all files or will that break something that has been setup or installed to the second drive?

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kid sampson said:
So here's another question. I have two 360s now (for the time being). Both have 60 GB hard drives.

The first has all of my saves and my profile on it.
The second has Xexmenu and NXE2God installed.

All I want to do is take what's on drive 1 and migrate it to drive 2. (Unless the reverse is easier to do...) What would I have to do to accomplish this with FTP? Do I just copy all files or will that break something that has been setup or installed to the second drive?

When you FTP in, on HDD1, you'll want to determine which of the content/[bunch of hexidecimal numbers] folders is the profile you want. If you only have one profile on that drive, it should be easy to figure out, otherwise, look deeper in the folders for names of games that only that one profile on that system would have saves for.

Anyway, after you figure out which profile it is, just copy it to your PC using FTP, then FTP it to the other drive's content folder. Just copy that one folder, it will have your saves and profile, and shouldn't wipe stuff out on your other drive, unless you've had that profile on your other drive before somehow.

Of course if you wanted to move multiple profiles, you could just copy all the content/[bunch of numbers] folders.

I haven't actually done this, so maybe wait for someone to confirm this works before trying it, lol. I only have one 360 drive, can't really test. For all I know you might have to resign/rehash or something else that I haven't considered before the new drive recognizes them.

The content/[bunch of 0's] folder is XBLA and DLC stuff, not a profile, just so you know.

kid sampson

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks. I guess my main question does involve whether or not they (profiles) need resigned to the new console.
As for my saves, I'm guessing each of those will need resigned as well. But since they're already linked to the profile, I'm not sure what specifically needs to be done there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: it's called the last ronin