Hardware Joy Con distance and position to console.

Fil o_O

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have set my Switch Dock on the Desk for streaming. Now when I want to play on the TV I sit on the couch, with the Switch behind my back. The distance is about 2.5 meters, nothing crazy. I can't really use the joy cons though. I'm loosing inputs and notice disconnects. I did a bit of research and noticed this used to be an switch-early-day-issue with the left joy con, however, for me it is the RIGHT one. I have two sets and in both caces it is the right one. I notice it especially when playing Mario Galaxy where you can use the Joy Con like a Wii remote.

So the question is: Would I be able to fix it the same way as the Joy Con L fix worked by putting a piece of conductive foam into it? But I have a new Switch and my joy cons are from 2020, besides it is Joy Con R.

I thought 2.5 meters should not be a problem, regardless if the Switch was behind my back or not. Facing it directly though, I don't notice any issues.

I could buy a second dock for the TV but I don't want to if there's another solution.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
it's more likely there's something else behind you that might interfere with the connection? other bluetooth devices? a router/repeater? a wall/metal cabinet? or is it right behind you with your body inbetween? can you put it higher from it's current position?

Fil o_O

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
yeah you are the problem, humans absorb wireless signal quite well.
The Pro Controller works perfectly, as does some cheap third party controller that I bough from amazon. Is it the same with your Joy Cons? So I guess I can't fix it my a simple mod...

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
joycons are small and compact and i would assume there is more room for a strong bluetooth antenna in a pro controller. and the joycons might additionally interfere with each others signal a little bit, which could explain a difference between them and a pro controller.

if you hold the joycons over your head when you play on the couch, does it get better?

Reactions: Fil o_O

Fil o_O

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
joycons are small and compact and i would assume there is more room for a strong bluetooth antenna in a pro controller. and the joycons might additionally interfere with each others signal a little bit, which could explain a difference between them and a pro controller.

if you hold the joycons over your head when you play on the couch, does it get better?
Oh yes, it does. Kind of awkward to play that way. well, these 40 dollar knock offs seem to have no issues, but they don't even have a C E certification

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I have set my Switch Dock on the Desk for streaming. Now when I want to play on the TV I sit on the couch, with the Switch behind my back. The distance is about 2.5 meters, nothing crazy. I can't really use the joy cons though. I'm loosing inputs and notice disconnects. I did a bit of research and noticed this used to be an switch-early-day-issue with the left joy con, however, for me it is the RIGHT one. I have two sets and in both caces it is the right one. I notice it especially when playing Mario Galaxy where you can use the Joy Con like a Wii remote.

So the question is: Would I be able to fix it the same way as the Joy Con L fix worked by putting a piece of conductive foam into it? But I have a new Switch and my joy cons are from 2020, besides it is Joy Con R.

I thought 2.5 meters should not be a problem, regardless if the Switch was behind my back or not. Facing it directly though, I don't notice any issues.

I could buy a second dock for the TV but I don't want to if there's another solution.
Putting the JoyVons behind your back is known to cause signal issues even with those JoyCons that are "fixed" or have been repaired with the foam fix. There is just no 100% fix because of the tiny size, and the fact your hands cover them up and add additional signal loss. So putting the Switch behind you probably has a similar effect. I assume you are using a long HDMI cable to connect the Switch to your TV. is anything stopping you from reversing the setup, hooking the Switch up next to the TV and using a long HDMI cable going to the capture card?

Fil o_O

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I assume you are using a long HDMI cable to connect the Switch to your TV. is anything stopping you from reversing the setup, hooking the Switch up next to the TV and using a long HDMI cable going to the capture card?

Good to know. Well, if I reverse the setup, then I'll be facing the Switch with my back when Streaming :) my two setups are on two separate walls opposite from each other. For the record I'm not connecting the switch to the TV directly I just use that Elgato Game Capture software. My PC is the only one that is connected to the TV with a repeater in the middle, so even if I would move the switch to the tv and connect it from there to the capture card I'd need a second cable setup like that, it's more than 10 meters. I guess I could really buy a second docking station.
Related question then: Are there good third party options or should I get the original one from Nintendo?

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I haven't heard of dock issues in a good long while, but you never know.
when those bricks happened the first time, it also randomly happened after some update on docks that previously worked.

so for safety, i'd go with an original personally

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Good to know. Well, if I reverse the setup, then I'll be facing the Switch with my back when Streaming :) my two setups are on two separate walls opposite from each other. For the record I'm not connecting the switch to the TV directly I just use that Elgato Game Capture software. My PC is the only one that is connected to the TV with a repeater in the middle, so even if I would move the switch to the tv and connect it from there to the capture card I'd need a second cable setup like that, it's more than 10 meters. I guess I could really buy a second docking station.
Related question then: Are there good third party options or should I get the original one from Nintendo?
The JumpGate dock is pretty awesome. https://skullnco.com/collections/top-selling/products/jumpgate-for-nintendo-switch

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Redleviboy123 @ Redleviboy123: Question about game texture chanching Do i need an own game id?