Japanese ISPs superior?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by synce, Nov 24, 2009.

1. synce
    OP

synce だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん

Nov 5, 2009
    United States
    This has been bugging more and more lately, maybe because it's not improving at all. Most of the torrents I DL come from JP sites, and when I connect to peers I usually get speeds in the MB/s range... But when I'm downloading with an American swarm I'd be lucky to get something half as fast. Europe is even worse (I'm talking consistent double digits speeds). If it's from the west and not from a private tracker it's gonna be a long ass wait, basically. Do Japanese people better understand the concept of sharing, or are their ISPs really this superior?

2. ProtoKun7

ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

Global Moderator
    Jan 3, 2009
    Gallifrey
    Episode of The Gadget Show a while back had parts somewhere in Asia (maybe Japan or Korea, I don't remember), but they had speeds of about a gigabit for a price comparable to ISPs here [​IMG]

They have all the good stuff [​IMG] apart from strong currency

3. prowler

prowler Sony

Jul 14, 2009
    Ragol
    maybe they will have 1tb/s in a years time. [​IMG]

4. ProtoKun7

ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

Global Moderator
    Jan 3, 2009
    Gallifrey
    That reminds me, everyone posting in here should be aware of the proper abbreviations:

MB/mB = Megabyte
    Mb = Megabit
    MiB = Mebibyte

Can't we just have teh int3rnets straight in our brains? With anti-virus software of course [​IMG]

5. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    abr. are pretty much always

MB = megabyte
    mb = megabit

6. Hop2089

Hop2089 Cute>Hot

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    Korea

Japan has the advantage in technology but the US has the same advantage but Japan has less landmass than the US making it cheaper for an all fiber optic network.

It's easier to convert from Yen to US dollars and vice versa than most currencies save for the Euro.