Jailbroken PS3s starting to get banned

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by ut2k4master, Nov 19, 2010.

Nov 19, 2010
  1. ut2k4master
    OP

Member ut2k4master Lord Tourettes

Germany
    SOURCE

2. Arras

Member Arras ★02

Netherlands
    Was to be expected. I mean, they log your console data and stuff, so it'd be pretty easy to block anyone who installed certain programs, and since their consoleis protected like a bank vault, this was the obvious next step in security. I guess I won't be getting myself a JB device, then.

3. derkiederk

Newcomer derkiederk Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    That's not true at all, nobody has been banned. The loophole that was being used to access PSN with JB has just been closed (consoles that presented themselves as a "debug station" on connection did not need to have the latest firmware, now they do).

4. doyama

Member doyama GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Yeah basically if you have a JB PS3 you can no longer use the latest loophole to access PSN. PSN access in general has not been for specific users that were using JB PS3s. We're more or less back to the 'status quo' of not being able to use PSN on JB PS3s, and is not similar in the 'banning' of specific Xbox360 consoles to Live.

5. Wintrale

Member Wintrale GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    I guess this just goes to prove that Sony can always stop the jailbreak, regardless of what steps are taken by hackers. Did people really think Sony doesn't have at least a dozen of those devices and reverse engineer any hacks within hours of them being publicly released?

6. thaddius

Member thaddius Charmander is not pleased.

Canada
    [​IMG]

How smug. They make it sound like jailbreakers are ruining the PS3.

7. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    they are not banned

the simple firmware spoof has just been blocked

8. Pliskron

Banned Pliskron Banned

United States
    Sony hasn't stopped anything I could care less about psn. I can still play all the games I want and they'll be fixes for newer games just like the new castlevania

9. sk8mystery23

Member sk8mystery23 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I love how the person who wrote that quote is such an asshole. Like the hackers even give a shit what he thinks. Makes me lulz. [​IMG]

10. synce

Member synce だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん

United States
    I've never heard of this site and they don't cite anything, why are people taking this info as factual? Even if it were true I don't think many people would care, online gaming is overrated

11. Schizoanalysis

Member Schizoanalysis From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...

Australia
    +1

I'm happy with my non-PSN jalibroken PS3 because I never use my PS3 for online gaming.

If I wanted to spend more of my spare time with lamers, flamers and trolls, I'd spend it at GBAtemp instead....

12. doyama

Member doyama GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I think we need to refer to the current PS3 situation as PSN IS DISABLED

The term 'banned' invokes the XBox360 scenario where specific devices are identified by hardware ID and are banned from the network. This is NOT THE CASE with the current PS3 Jailbreak. I think referring to it as 'disabled' for now will reduce a lot of confusion and it makes things more clearer.

13. Thomas83Lin

Member Thomas83Lin Retro Gamer

United States
    I'm honestly thinking of removing all my jailbroken apps\stuff, would a simple format guarantee no future problems in this area.

14. coolbho3000

Member coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

It would be stupid to think that Sony would so hastily ban a system that it sold at such a huge loss for years from its services permanently. After updating, previously jailbroken PS3s can still buy retail games and content from the PS store, helping Sony to recoup those losses. A banned system cannot. Sony is trying to make updating and having a legitimate PS3 as appealing as possible.

The situation on the 360 was different. It was a drive firmware flash and Microsoft couldn't enforce a certain system firmware.